pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
>> Curry Fried Ling Cod [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:58 pm
tranbaby2

I still had some ling cod left in the freezer so I decided to make a good old fashion fish fry.... with a twist. Instead of just dunking the fish in batter and frying it, I wanted to add some more flavor that will stand out after cooking. So the flavor that came to mind was a good mix of curries. That being said, I went ahead and tried this dish and it turned out pretty well.

Ingredients:

1-2 lbs of ling cod fillet cut into chunks

For the batter
3/4 cup All purpose flour
1/2 cup corn starch
2 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
pinch of white pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2-3/4 cup water
1 teaspoon garlic powder

For the curry
1 teaspoon red curry paste
2 tablespoon yellow curry powder
1/4 cup coconut cream (or coconut milk). I prefer Chaokoh brand since it has very nice flavor with both coconut cream and milk.
2 tablespoon fish sauce

First, you would like to make the curry about a day in advance so you can marinade it overnight for the flavors to penetrate the fish. Mix all of the ingredients in a plastic bag, add the fish in the bag. Mix all the contents in the bag well to make sure the curry goes all over every part of the fish.

Refrigerate overnight.

When you are ready to make the fish fry, mix all of the ingredients of the batter (except the water) together in a mixing bowl. Once everything is mixed well, add the water slowly. You will need anywhere between 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup but will want a batter that is thick. It should have a consistency thicker than pancake batter.

Heat a frying pan with oil to about 350 degrees.

Take the fish, dip in the batter, making sure you don't lose too much of the curry in the batter. Add the fish into the pan and fry 4-5 minutes on each side or until golden brown on all sides.

Normally, I would make some chips and coleslaw (or in this case, asian pickled veggies) to go along with this but the fish was more than enough to fill me up. You can taste the curry underneath and it really makes the fish moist and juicy.

I added an additional topping of white pepper and cayenne powder after I fried it as well.

Enjoy!!!

Get The Salty Nick "Special Spinner" today!!!
& I'm a guy so don't ask
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:02 pm
frozendog

Wow! That looks yummy! But I can't make it until I go to the grocery store and find about ten different ingredients. Not to mention a stray lincod.
Thanks for posting all the recipes. Very helpful for those people who don't have a clue of what to do with their fish.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:37 pm
SLOFishing

My mouth is watering right now...
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:02 pm
muttfishr

Yum! Man I love that Ling, you can do just about anything with it and it comes out great! Thats a fantastic looking creation you got there, Son!...mutt.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:06 pm
tranbaby2

reposting pics since photobucket moved them.

Get The Salty Nick "Special Spinner" today!!!
& I'm a guy so don't ask
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: