pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> Penn Squall Question [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 4:53 pm
Willythedog

Hey fellas, new to the forum.

Got a question about the Penn Squall star drag reel.

I hear these are pretty good distance wise for surf casting (i currently use a okuma cedros spinning for surf) and wanted to give a conventional reel a try.

What size reel would you think would be best for a 10ft rod chucking bait out?? i know that only the 12 and 15 sizes have mag control (is it necessary?) I prefer something a little bigger, seems to fit in my hand better (30 maybe? do these have centrifugal braking?)

Thanks for replies to this newbie question. (i do have experience with conventional, its a lever drag level wind so not for surf)
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 1:01 am
mav

Since you are going to use it to throw out bait, you probably don't need the magnetic cast control. I don't know if the 30 is centrifugal or not. It might just be controlled by a spool tensioner knob.

The smaller magnetic cast control versions are best suited for constantly casting big jigs into a headwind in the surf.

If you like how the 30 feels in your hand, go for it..

Personally, I'd go for the 25 N (narrow) for easier leveling and as dual purpose for throwing irons on the boat.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 3:02 pm
Willythedog

Got a good deal so i went with the Fathom 30. Suppose to be as good as the squall for casting but with an aluminum body and centrifugal braking. We'll see I guess. Thanks Mav.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 11:14 am
mav

No problem... That even sounds better...
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: