pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> Casting rod suggestions for 5500 C3 [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:12 pm
sulsj

Hi PFIC,

I'm waiting for Ugly Stik Big Water Salmon/Steelhead rod 8'6" MH action (CA11862MH) and have already got a Abu Garcia 5500 C3 with Power Pro 50lb braid and 30lb fluo leader. I'm enjoying mainly pier and bottom fishing, and wanting to do surf-fishing sometimes.

How about the setting? Any advice will be appreciated.

I'm also considering US Tiger 8" 2-pieces ML action (BWD220080). Which one do you guys recommend?

Thanks,
Jay
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:13 pm
sulsj

Wow. Can't get any single advice for a month.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:54 am
Newb

I don't know about the settings on the reel, but I think you find that line way to heavy for the 8'6" steal head rod.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:00 am
sulsj

Newb wrote:
I don't know about the settings on the reel, but I think you find that line way to heavy for the 8'6" steal head rod.

Thank you so much~~~ Smile

It's been two months since I posted this question and I've studied and tested many kinds of lines, reels, and rods by myself including

Ugly Stik Steel head 8'6" (CA11862MH)
Ugly Stik Tiger 7' 2piece (BWC2201270)
TICA UEHA 10' Tica (UEHA630502C)
Okuma Solaris 12' (SS-C-1202MH-1)

Abu Garcia C3 5500
Abu Garcia C3 6500
Abu Garcia C4 6600
Penn Squall 15
Akios 656 CTM

And now I've settled down to

TICA UEHA 10' + Penn Sqaull 15 + 30lb Suffix 832 w/ 20lb backing + 60lb leader
Okuma Solaris 12'+ Akios 656 CTM + 30lb Suffix 832 w/ 20lb backing + 60lb leader

and pretty much happy with my current settings.

I was really happy with 7' Ugly Stik Tiger so I'm going to get the rod again for pier and boat rod.

TiCA and Okuma are really light and loaded well with 5oz weight. As for the build quality Okuma's quality looks a little bit better than TICA.

C3 6500 would be the good choice if you need a level wind. Cast well and safe from bird nesting. I thought once I can keep it and convert it to ct but I decided to buy Peen Squall 15 instead.

Returned C4 6600 because the push button is too flimsy to me and it's pushed unintentionally while reeling.

Squall 15 is outstanding. Easy to cast and light. But the thin aluminium parts make the reel look cheap. Akios is the latest reel I've purchased and pretty decent. Mag works flawlessly and it's really smooooth but heavier than Squall 15.

Love love love both Penn and Akio reels.

Tight lines!
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:37 am
mav

Usually this part of the forum slows down from winter to mid spring then it picks up into summer into early fall. I usually check in time to time as with other forums but I didnt notice your post, otherwise I would have jumped on it...

Glad you you're finding what's working for you... It's usually the best way..

I do prefer a shorter rod for pier fishing for control and better leverage hauling fish up... So I think that 7' Ugly Stik is probably a good choice for pier and boat fishing...

I'm no expert shore caster. I don't usually fish for sharks and rays unless I'm boared so the heaviest weight I ever cast is a 4oz weight with straight 20# mono and a 3' shock leader at the end..

I don't use my 5000 sized Swedish round Abu Garcia reels for distance casting. All but one, I use to fish bait or throw jigs at short distances with 15# mono, depending on the reel's features. The "one" has 100# braid that I use to jig swim baits through shallow rocks...

For distance casting, I've used an old one piece custom 8' Garcia rod paired with a not too old Abu Garcia CL Big Game 6500 or a newer two piece 11' Lamiglas rod paired with an old hotrodded 146 Penn Squidder...

I haven't tried the setups that you mentioned but I may be able to add a little more insight on things to consider with the reels.. The main thing is to consider how you are going to use the reel and weighing the advantages of each reel, relating to that application. I hear those Akios are really nice but how hard is it to find replacement parts compared to the Penn? But.. Is the quality of the Penn on parr with tha Akios..? Which reel is more durable and less likely to corrode in certain places?

You may have already answered your question with the rods, but as combos with the reels, that's a hard one...
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: