pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> Help a rookie out please [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:21 pm
BayNative

How's it going everyone. Rookie angler here so this might be kind of long winded.

Growing up I wasn't fortunate to go fishing with my pops. I went here and there as a teen with some friends but never bought my own equipment or even tied my own knots haha. Anyway I just got back from visiting Oahu and some friends who are locals out there introduced me to shore fishing for Ulua (I believe the common name is Giant Travally). Anyway ever since that experience I have big fish fever. I live in the Bay Area so hey why not take up this hobby that can be both relaxing and exciting.

I want to do bank, pier and occasional beach fishing. Is there one rod where I can do all 3? I was looking at the Penn Battle II [url]http://t.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=49820076&ab=TopNav_Outdoors_Fishing_RodReelCombos&cp=4413993.4414792
[/url]
Would this combo suit my needs? I was thinking of getting the 10 ft medium hard but was not sure if that will be a good all around pole. Or is that impossible to for all 3 types of fishing? I would like to fish mainly for leopard sharks since I always liked sharks. Also interested in stripers and maybe even sturgeon. I don't plan on taking any home just catch and release. I live in the Vallejo area so that's where I'll mostly be fishing but wouldn't mind travelling around the bay to visit different piers banks and beaches. Which length would you say fits what I'm looking for?

Any other rod/reel combos you guys can suggest? $150 is pretty much what I want to spend since I'm new to the hobby and don't want to throw money into fancy equipment when I hardly even know what I'm doing. I have a few friends that fish locally but my schedule for work is not typical 9-5 so it's hard to find time when we are free at the same time so I'll be on this forum a lot trying to take in knowledge.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:04 pm
red fish

Welcome to the PFIC board Bay Native.

What you are looking at is good and will work for pier, beach, and bank. Basically, a "big spinner" will suffice for multi-purposing.

The Penn Battle is good because it has all metal interior/exterior. I believe it will endure heavy salt-water applications moreso than, say, the Penn Pursuit that is not all metal. 10' is good enough to get it done: not too tall, not to short.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:15 pm
BayNative

Thanks for the welcome. How's the reel that comes with that Penn combo I posted? I'm a little confused about the gear ratios. For the Battle II 8000 model I'm looking at the ratio is 3.3:1. So this lower ratio is beneficial when reeling in a fish but it will take more turns to simply retrieve my line with no fish hooked on?
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:56 pm
red fish

Quote:
So this lower ratio is beneficial when reeling in a fish but it will take more turns to simply retrieve my line with no fish hooked on?

This is true. More torque for bring in a big fish with the bigger gear (slower ratio) but longer to retrieve on a long-cast.

The all-metal reel will last longer. I use an old Penn Spinfisher. I was going to buy a Pursuit, but when I found out that the materials used inside were a compromise, I decided against it (even though on the outside it appears to crank smoothly). You mentioned sharks and rays and beach action: that takes a lot of power in a reel to accomplish.[/quote]
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:57 pm
BayNative

red fish wrote:
Quote:
So this lower ratio is beneficial when reeling in a fish but it will take more turns to simply retrieve my line with no fish hooked on?

This is true. More torque for bring in a big fish with the bigger gear (slower ratio) but longer to retrieve on a long-cast.

The all-metal reel will last longer. I use an old Penn Spinfisher. I was going to buy a Pursuit, but when I found out that the materials used inside were a compromise, I decided against it (even though on the outside it appears to crank smoothly). You mentioned sharks and rays and beach action: that takes a lot of power in a reel to accomplish.
[/quote]

Ok sounds good. Think I'll go ahead an pick that combo up. A friend suggested the okuma avenger abf90 reel as well. though. Any experience with those reels?
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:16 pm
red fish

[quote="BayNative"]
red fish wrote:
Quote:

The all-metal reel will last longer. I use an old Penn Spinfisher. I was going to buy a Pursuit, but when I found out that the materials used inside were a compromise, I decided against it (even though on the outside it appears to crank smoothly). You mentioned sharks and rays and beach action: that takes a lot of power in a reel to accomplish.[/quote

Ok sounds good. Think I'll go ahead an pick that combo up. A friend suggested the okuma avenger abf90 reel as well. though. Any experience with those reels?

Started to buy the Avenger a couple times, but did not. Friends used them awhile back. Caught lots of batrays, sturgeon, and stripers with them, then they were throw aways. Awful scrapping noises and worn out parts like the shaft for instance.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:30 pm
BayNative

Ok good to know. Think I'll go buy that Penn Battle combo asap.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:53 pm
Sofa King

BayNative wrote:
Ok good to know. Think I'll go buy that Penn Battle combo asap.

Good thinking. Ive been eyeballing the battle as well. Or the Conflict if I can find it in an 8000 model.

I too use the black and gold 850 and 950. and a Fierce 8000, all Penn's haven't let me down...

Early to bed, Early to rise, fish all day, make up lies
<*}}}}}}}}}><
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: