pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> Shimano Cardiff bearing rust [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:42 am
randysf

During my last trip out using my Cardiff 301a I heard a loud squeal when casting and the line slows down going out. Every other few casts it kept doing this. So I figure I'd take the side plate out and have a look. Everything looks good inside and I oil the bearing on the spool and side bearing hoping this would fix the problem.

Today I got a chance to try out the reel again and same thing happen. So I opened up the spool tension cap and noticed rust in the bearing. I should of checked that before because I had the same issue with my Abu freshwater reel but since the Cardiff is supposed to be approved for saltwater use I was surprised.

After every use I rinse out my rod/reel with fresh water, it's what I always do with my spinning gear too and had never had any problems. After getting into casting reels I've been having these rust issues.

Should I be rinsing out the bearing after every saltwater use? What should I use to clean out the rush and lubricate?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:58 am
pinfish

usually you tighten the drag and then rinse the reel. Probably also tighten tension knob cap. Then shake out loose water and let dry. Then later loosen them up.

Then when you periodically clean out your reel, you either oil up the bearings and let the oil wisk away the water. Or take the bearings out and drop them in a bowl of oil for while. Often you might have to just change the bearings.

salt-water approved means they probably sealed them up - but nothing is saltwater proof over time. You just have to clean or replace parts.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:57 am
dkkim

or pack with a light grease.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:39 am
Rockfish Ninja

Check out the website in my thread below, we've got experienced guys here but Alan Tani's reel repair forum specializes in reel repair & maint.

I've found that many of the newer conventional reels require more frequent lubrication and service than the old Penn stuff. I do a complete tear down & lube once or twice a season on my workhorse reels.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:41 pm
tackleholic

Pull that bearing out and soak it in a jar with break cleaner or some other solvent to try and clean that rust out...shake it...let it soak a while...then throw out the rusty sovent and hit the bearing again with more brake cleaner until all the rust is removed...then after drying...lube it with a good thin lube...calcutta oil, corrosion x..whatever you have...even hoppes gun oil is good. Then reinstall the bearing. When you rinse off your reel, you don't want to get water, even fresh water into the internals of the reel..if you do...take the spool out...open up,the side plate, take the tension cap off and let it air dry on a towel or rag. The rust probably occurred when moisture either from your trip or mor likely from the rinsing got stuck in the bearing, sealed by the tension knob.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 2:11 am
norcalrod

IMO, DO NOT pack that bearing with grease. Your casting distance will suffer greatly. It is one of the main bearings for your spool.

Bait cast reels get water around the spool and into the reel. I would recommend that you have someone or yourself breakdown the reel, clean and lube. If you've got rust there, you might have other issues.

When you wash down your gear, try not to use high pressure water streams. It pushes water down the seams.
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:28 am
bigred805

norcalrod wrote:
IMO, DO NOT pack that bearing with grease. Your casting distance will suffer greatly. It is one of the main bearings for your spool.

Bait cast reels get water around the spool and into the reel. I would recommend that you have someone or yourself breakdown the reel, clean and lube. If you've got rust there, you might have other issues.

When you wash down your gear, try not to use high pressure water streams. It pushes water down the seams.

This, only put grease in non spool bearings or your casting distance will take a huge dump on you. Pull the bearing out and clean it with brake/carb cleaner and then oil it back up. It only takes a tiny drop to oil a bearing so don't over do it or you will have oil everywhere inside the reel. I have used a lot of different reel oils but I tend to always go back to corrosion X. Its not the fastest oil on the market but its plenty fast IMO and the added corrosion resistance is a huge plus. If you want to spend the money for the bomb stuff the go buy yourself a can of TSI-301...that stuff is amazing!!!!
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:55 am
mav

After washing, I pull removable spools and let them sit to dry out for a day...

I also like corrosion X or reel X for rust prevention.. I once found salt in my spool cap but no rust on the bearing... So I'm a believer in the stuff... I just cleand the salt out and reapplied.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: