>> quick question [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:13 pm
jeremywang97

has anyone ever hooked a mullet? if so, how? thanks
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:59 pm
bigunindaboat

Snagged them in Maui, their mouths are extremely tiny and I believe they only eat algae, probably wrong about that part, lol.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:41 pm
makairaa

I have caught a couple on bloodworms in agua hedionda lagoon, but nowhere else. And yes they were hooked in the mouth
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:45 pm
calaznfisher

I've caught many Thick Lipped Grey Mullet (Chelon labrosus) in Britain, and Boxlip Mullet (Oedalechilus labeo) in Greece. Are you specifically asking about Striped Mullet (Mugil cephalus) from Southern California? The mullet species in Europe maintain the same skittish attitude and finicky diet as the mullet species found in Southern California, but at least they will regularly take normal baits.

The Thick Lipped Grey Mullet were taken on very light single droppers with ragworm, and some were excess of 3 lbs. The Boxlip Mullet were taken on freelined bread and 2 lb fluorocarbon leaders.

Striped Mullet in Southern California OTOH feed by sifting through mud for algae and microorganisms, and present a very difficult target for hook and line anglers. Every year, I hear of 1 or 2 people attempting to target Southern California mullet on hook and line, but have rarely heard of a single success story. The few times I have heard of Striped Mullet being caught, were incidental on jerkbaits or swimbaits. Given the inquisitive nature of these fish, I think these catches are generally just a curious fish being snagged, but anything is possible.

If you do indeed decide to target these fish, they would most likely either need to be groundbaited over a long period of time to acclimate them to a food source, or you would have to find an actively feeding school. It is not an impossible task to catch these fish, but it will require diligence, time, and a healthy dose of luck. If you do indeed hook into a mullet you will be in for a great fight, they are little rockets!

Visit my blog to see what new species of fish I've encountered in my travels across the world:
https://obsessiveangling.wordpress.com/
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:35 pm
Mahigeer

This is a rig that is used in Turkey to catch mullet with bread.
Mullets have small mouths and they mostly eat algae. However, when they nibble on the bread, one of the several hooks can get them.

A bread with crust is best to use.

A 3' leader with many hooks at one end and a cork float on the other side.

I added the sinker to sink the bait, but they use it without any sinkers. Thus, the bread floats.

I have not tried it here yet, because I have not seen many of them.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:35 pm
Mahigeer

Mahigeer wrote:
This is a rig that is used in Turkey to catch mullet with bread.
Mullets have small mouths and they mostly eat algae. However, when they nibble on the bread, one of the several hooks can get them.

A bread with crust is best to use.

A 3' leader with many hooks at one end and a cork float on the other side.

I added the sinker to sink the bait, but they use it without any sinkers. Thus, the bread floats.

I have not tried it here yet, because I have not seen many of them.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:21 am
pinfish

Once in agile they will bite a piece of bread. In Florida we usually just use cast net or snagging.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:29 pm
jeremywang97

Thanks for all the responses! Wasn't really expecting this much information hahaha Smile
but yeah, I was wondering about the silver mullet from SC. I always see some jumping out of the water when I bike to Newport.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:44 pm
jeremywang97

striped* whoops
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: