pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
>> Orange mango fish for the BBQ [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 9:46 am
frozendog

I've posted this basic recipe before, but as all cooks do, I tweaked it a little. This is truly a dish for people who say they don't like fish. Of course, you have to start with a good product (the fish) to get a good end product. I have used this same recipe with rockfish, cabs and mf eels. It probably would work with anything you catch - goldfish, lizard fish, flying fish or whatever.
Start with boneless, skinless rockfish fillets. Season the fillets first with salt and pepper and I used Chef Paul's seafood seasoning.
For each fillet, melt one pat of butter in a sauce pan and add a chopped shallot and thinly sliced glove of garlic. Saute gently until soft.

You can use olive oil or a combination of butter and oil if you prefer.
Sauce: I use about a half and half frozen orange juice concentrate (no water)and Iron Chef orange ginger sauce (Vons and Safeway carry it). The only tricky part is to gauge how much sauce to make. We like a lot of sauce. But as you make it, you will be able to judge for yourself the amount that you like. I eat it with a spoon because I like more sauce.

Stir in with the shallots and garlic to combine.
Make aluminum foil boats for each fish fillet. I double the heavy duty foil and crimp up the edges. That way you can eat it in the foil for easy cleanup.
Put half of the warm sauce in the boats and the fish fillets on top. Pour the other half on the sauce on top of the fillets.
Surround the fish with sliced mango.

I like to top my fish with thinly sliced jalepeno (my wife doesn't).
Off to the BBQ. Cook on preheated grill (at medium) with lid closed until the sauce bubbles. Don't turn or cover the fish. Cook a few more minutes until done to your liking. Takes around 5 minutes - don't overcook.

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:00 pm
Sofa King

Im gunna have to try this one on my family. We never ate much fish before, but I have tried a few recipes from this board and all have been a success. This one looks real good. I have a ling that my son caught that this would be perfect for. Plus a bunch of vermillions and browns.
Thanks.

Early to bed, Early to rise, fish all day, make up lies
<*}}}}}}}}}><
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:49 am
Theldios

That recipe looks awesome. I am cooking it as soon as I catch me some rockfish down here in Imperial Beach.
Thanks for the treat.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:03 pm
frozendog

Theldios wrote:
That recipe looks awesome. I am cooking it as soon as I catch me some rockfish down here in Imperial Beach.
Thanks for the treat.

Should work just as well on sand bass or calico bass.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:24 pm
Sofa King

We tried this one and it was real good. Everybody enjoyed it. Thanks for the post.

<*}}}}}}}}}><
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:24 pm
Sofa King

Just did this one again and it was a hit.

<*}}}}}}}}}><
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: