pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> What are some good Bonito lures? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:15 am
Big Ray

Thanks red fish. I like the idea of using a torpedo sinker. It sounds way easier to just buy some sinkers than have to make a golf ball rig. I am not saying that I am going to stop using the golf ball I am just going to add the sinker to my bag of tricks.
And polishfromthedeep I had a friend of mine tell me about the megabaits. I hear that they are good but they are discontinued like you said. I found out when I was looking for them that the pline laser minnow is the closet alternative. I haven't tried them yet but my friend has and it worked so I am going to get some.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:08 am
sfbayman

The green krocs work well as a spoon. Green seems to be the color of choice whether it's spoons or feathers. In lieu of a golf ball, you may also want to try a wooden "easter egg" that you could buy from Michael's. They are cheap (not as cheap as golf balls) but they do float when you stop retrieving. Screw in some small eyelets that you could buy from a hardware store at both ends of your egg, buy or make your own grown colored bonito feather lures, have a three foot long or so leader attached to the eyelets and you'll be in good shape.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:51 pm
Tralfaz9

It would be wise to check your leader every so often for inadvertent knots made by casting those bubble/splasher rigs. They can happen while flying through the air, or on landing in the water.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:01 pm
Big Ray

Thanks sfbayman I might try that too. I like being different and catching fish. That is what happened to me when I was using the golf ball. Some of those guys never seen it before and they were kind of laughing at it but I was catching fish in front of them so now they won't underestimate it. I want to get into tying my own flies but I am not sure what hooks I should buy for it. And Tralfaz9 I did notice that happening to me I had to untangle the line every couple casts.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:18 pm
tackleholic

I 've had luck in years past with kroodiles and small chrome jigs like ironman 2, 3, and 5 sizes fished deep in the fall and if they happen to winter in the harbor which they sometimes have done in the past. Also, try an anchovy or sardine patterrn swimbait fished deep and slow...trouble with krocodiles is its hard to keep them down near the bottom especially when fishing off a raised pier, even a relatively low pier like redondo sportsfishing pier. As for fly tying, any long shank hook will do...straight bend, not offset is good...if it has a saltwater finish to resist rusting...thats even better.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:00 pm
Big Ray

Would this one be ok. It looks right
http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/mustad-fly-tying-hooks/810840.aspx
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:09 pm
mav

sfbayman wrote:
The green krocs work well as a spoon. Green seems to be the color of choice whether it's spoons or feathers. In lieu of a golf ball, you may also want to try a wooden "easter egg" that you could buy from Michael's. They are cheap (not as cheap as golf balls) but they do float when you stop retrieving. Screw in some small eyelets that you could buy from a hardware store at both ends of your egg, buy or make your own grown colored bonito feather lures, have a three foot long or so leader attached to the eyelets and you'll be in good shape.

I was going to mention that but it seems in our local area, my bro and his friends seem to buy all the wooden easter eggs... I've resorted to using small wooden doll heads since they are always out.. LOL Drawn on faces optional... I have one that looks like Charlie Brown... LOL
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:12 pm
mav

Big Ray wrote:
Would this one be ok. It looks right
http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/mustad-fly-tying-hooks/810840.aspx

Looks right to me...
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:48 pm
Big Ray

Wow a doll head. That would be funny to be kicking butt using that while everyone is looking at you crazy. Then the next time you get to the pier you see other people using them because they will think that it is the next secret weapon.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:00 pm
mav

Big Ray wrote:
Wow a doll head. That would be funny to be kicking butt using that while everyone is looking at you crazy. Then the next time you get to the pier you see other people using them because they will think that it is the next secret weapon.

Actually, I've seen that happen before with lures... I'd get weird looks when I start hooking bonito on a white grub tail used for bottom fishing... Then, what do I see during my next outing? White grub tails and the guys fishing are telling ME that I should use grub tails... LOL
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:51 pm
sfbayman

Hooks look fine. FYI, I once was in a middle of a heck of a bonito bite over a 3 day period and all of my bonito feathered hooks were damaged and unusable near the end of the trip. I went into my tackle box and grabbed the biggest crappie jigs I could find in yellow and chartreuse. They worked, too, even though they were much smaller than the regular bonito lures.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:13 pm
Big Ray

I was thinking about crappie jigs. I have to try that out one day.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:52 pm
jeremywang97

walmart sells a pack of 8 crappie jigs at a ridiculously low price, like 2 or 3 dollars. i know of some people that make a rig composed of two dropper loops and a torp sinker at the bottom. crappie jigs go in the dropper loops and you can just jig all day with that
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:16 am
woody82270

ANY bright, or shiny lure will work. You really don't need to put much thought into it. If they are biting, they are biting.
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:29 am
Ken Jones

http://www.pierfishing.com/msgboard/viewtopic.php?t=15337&highlight=bonito
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 2 of 3  Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: