pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
>> Tips for Prepping Non-Farmed Mussels & and Mussel Recipe [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:02 pm
MsCMSchultz

Location: BUIDB: "Thats a great shot of a pier from the beach."

Now that I have had a couple of seasons of gathering mussels, talking with other mussel pickers, surfing the 'net and perusing cookbooks, here is a synthesis of what works for me:

I neither purge nor steam/boil the mussels.

With the back of a paring knife, I scrape off whatever I can from the shells in one back and forth pass over the shells--no more incessant scrubbing.

I set the oven at 400 degrees, sort the mussels according to size and arrange on cookie trays. I pop the trays in the oven and remove as soon as the mussels open. (This way the mussel meats aren't swimming in sand and debris filled water--no more rinsing.) Cooking will be finished in the recipe.

I set up a funnel large enough to accommodate a fine sieve, which I also line with large size coffee filters, over a large container.

When they are cool enough to handle, I remove from shells and strain the mussel liquid from the shell into the funnel, as well as the liquid from the cookie tray.

I trim off the beard with a pair of scissors. I examine the mussels again; if it looks like the stomachs are full of sand (the stomachs will be plump and black), I trim off the stomachs and scrape out any sand I miss with a paper towel. (No more purging.) I also feel for pearls as I do this. (Most of the time, the pearls are quite visible and very smooth.)

Mussels Steamed in Beer

Ingredients:
Oven Roasted Mussels As Above
A 12-ounce Can of Beer (I use cheap beer)
6 Slices Raw Bacon, thicker rather than thin, diced
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded sharp cheese (I use Matos cheese, http://cheesetrail.org/visit-a-cheesemaker/#CM13)
Green Onions, sliced
Curly Parsley
Thick Slices of a sturdy bread, such as Acme sourdough
9 X 12 Oblong Glass Casserole

Preheat oven to 350.

Place your mussels in the casserole, pour in the can of beer, scatter the bacon, cheese, green onions and snip the parsley.

Place in oven and bake for 20-30 minutes, or until the cheese is all melted and it looks pretty.

Put two slices of bread, toasted or not, in the bottom of soup plates. Ladle the mussels and broth over the bread and serve.

I have more mussel recipes--will post later.

Artist, GretchDragon
TY, Gretch!
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:19 pm
Sofa King

Actually sounds pretty good.
Esp if you like to eat bait.
Just Kidding.
I would eat this for sure.
Do you have a pic.

Early to bed, Early to rise, fish all day, make up lies
<*}}}}}}}}}><
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:27 pm
MsCMSchultz

Location: BUIDB: "Thats a great shot of a pier from the beach."

Sofa King wrote:
Do you have a pic.

when mussels are open, i will make all the dishes and post pics.

and anything with bacon, beer and cheese is bound to be good--hell, just skip the mussels?????

Artist, GretchDragon
TY, Gretch!
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: