pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> Rod sensitivity for surf fishing? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:32 pm
jaay5389

So I've been surf fishing with a couple of different rods, and I can't seem to get used to this latest one. Every wave seems to bend my rod and it is difficult to detect a bite because everything feels the same.

My first rod was around 6-7 feet, my favorite one for surf perch fishing, but it snapped in half during a cast. I can feel the waves slightly with this rod, but bites were very distinct.

What is the difference between the 2? Is there a word describing the rods sensitivity when looking for a rod to purchase?
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:29 am
mav

Was the older rod graphite and second fiberglass or graphite/composite with a fiberglass tip? I know a lot of newer rods have a softer tip to compensate for the non stretch of braided lines. The new rod could just be a lighter action rod too. Usually when I test a rod or rod blank for sensitivity I'll very lightly tap the tip on a non-damaging surface to see how the vibration telegraphs through out the blank. The word used IS more/less "sensitivity". There really isnt a measurement you can look up on the rod for sensitivity. You have to remember though, sensitivity goes both ways. For this reason I use more sensitive rods for jigs and artificials. I'll use a less sensitive rod for bait but watch the tip and line closely for bites.

I don't know what direction you want to go with your equiplment to remedy the situation. Personally I don't like using braid in the surf because it can collect sand and wear into the rod guides but it might help with sensitivity.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:45 am
charro

Depending on whether you are using bait (cast and wait), or artificials (lots of casting), the length and sensitivity of your rod will depend on your style of fishing. Also, take into account the surf conditions, wind and tides, i.e., higher surf on a windy day will not allow you to do well with a 6' rod in my experience. I use a 7', 7.5' or 8.5' rod depending on all the above variables. I try to use the lightest rods and reels I can get away with because I fish almost exclusively artificials when perching in the surf and there's a lot of casting and ensuing fatigue issues. If I were you, I would buy at least a couple rods/ reels to see what works.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:24 am
sphunfishing

I think the more sensitive one are labeled as "fast action". They are stiffer all the way to the tip of the rod. For surf, I prefer steelhead rods 9 to 10 feet. I like to cast and retrieve lures.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: