pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> thresher shark setup? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:35 pm
explosivecat

looking for a rod and reel for threshers and other large shark and rays I like lever drag reels and 8'-9' rods I don't really know a good caliber of tackle I just need a general recommendation because all the stuff I will get will be off craigslist because I have a $200 budget thank you for your time -calvin
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:18 pm
muttfishr

If you have the time and the knowledge of what your looking at, I suggest going to the flea marts, swapmeets, ect. I was at the Hanford Monday swapmeet and found a senator 6ot for 40$, it had alittle corrosion on the spool but not bad, I didn't have the 40, but heck that's an 80-120$ reel anywhere! and perfect for what you would want. Anyhow that's my two cents worth..mutt.
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:43 pm
tackleholic

I'm not a thresher shark fisher person but if looking for an 8-9 foot setup...you cant go wrong with calstar or seeker. I would think anything. 8-9 foot long rates 20-50 or 30-60 lb would be good like calstar 690, 6480, 1090, old sabre 540, seeker ulua. Older fenwicks and sabres from before 1990 are generally pretty good. If you are going to load your reel with braid, i'd suggest a smaller reel with a strong drag system but easier casting like a shimano torium 30, daiwa sealine 50, penn 555 gs. There are a lot of older penns out there that are big but there drag systems are tiny like penn long beach... so not ideal for a hard fighting game fish like sharks or bat rays. A jigmaster loaded with braid will work...i saw a guy with a jigmaster with 40 lb. Catch a 150 lb .bat off a pier once. There are much better reels than the ones im suggesting...but sometimes see those reels for like $60 to $100 on craigs list.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:08 pm
red fish

explosivecat wrote:
looking for a rod and reel for threshers and other large shark and rays I like lever drag reels and 8'-9' rods I don't really know a good caliber of tackle I just need a general recommendation because all the stuff I will get will be off craigslist because I have a $200 budget thank you for your time -calvin

Calvin, honestly, I would get an Ugly Stik casting in 11 or 12 feet and a Penn 4/0 HS Senator.

You can get that new for $200 on sale. Take a trip to Gaviota, that is the majority of what you see the thresher shark fishermen using from the pier [you are fishing off the pier for threshers, right?!] Add a spool of 403 Berkley Big Game and you're ready for action...
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:36 am
sharkfishing_805

I fish for thresher sharks 24/7, I use shimano toriums 20 and 30, and for rods 8ft calstar deckhand rods 30-60 the 6480 model...for leaders I use the trolley rig , I don't use steel , I mainly use 200lb with 8/0 live bait...side note caught my first thresher last week In Malibu ...
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: