pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Black Sea Bass & Salmon at HB [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:47 pm
fission machine

Yep - in the span of 3 days at the HB pier, 2 different people caught these 2 species. The first (which is posted on another site right now also, since I am new here - not sure on the rules on posting links?) stirred up controversy in an argument over returning the fish to the water. These "people" caught a black sea bass and hoop netted it up onto the deck. The following argument from several anglers telling them to release it - got to the point of the authorities being called. On top of that - the knuckleheads screwed around for so long that - you guessed it - the fish was dead by the time it landed back in the water.

The other incident happened 2 days later, and involved a couple, who while bait jigging for mackerel, had hooked a Silver Salmon. The fish was hoop netted over the rail, and was fairly tweaked after being wrapped in the multi hook Sabiki rig. Funny thing was - the people wasted no time, wrapped up the fish with their load of mackerel, and bailed off of the pier within minutes.

The only thing missing from this week could have been a great white or a cow cod (which would make for a trifecta)!?!?!? I generally will tell people at least once not to take verboten species - but as many will tell you now - some of the riff raff that comes down to fish at the piers now are armed, and or fresh out of prison, etc. I recommend not pushing your luck too far - especially at the LB or Seal Beach pier - but it is getting to where HB, Newport or Balboa can also be not as safe as in the good old days...

The day after the salmon walked off of the pier, I drove by there on the way home from work, and a day late and a dollar short was your friendly neighborhood DFG agent...
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:22 am
pierhead

Don't be too quick to tell them the fish is illegal -
act like an admiring tourist and have them pose for a picture with the fish.

Then follow them off the pier and get their car's license plate. With that info the DFG can get their home address and make a follow-up contact.

Remember - ignorance of the law is no excuse. Starting a confrontation on the pier doesn't always result in saving the fish. Best to be safe and let the DFG follow-up. The resulting publicity will save more fish in the long run.
Top of page
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:27 am
Ken Jones

Just got the pictures of a 7 pound, 11 ounce "salmon grouper" caught at Shelter Island on 4/7/08. It looks to be a youngish giant (black) sea bass although the dorsal's a little gnarly in the picture. May scan it and send it to Milton Love for an expert's opinion.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:55 pm
fission machine

The salmon - I saw, but the BSB I only viewed by photos. I would pretty much swear to the ID of the BSB though, mainly because I can't think of anything else it might be. Don't see the telltale spots, but from that angle they may not be visible. Will try to post an image if I can.

I now have found out the story from an eyewitness to the BSB drama. The fish was caught by one set of anglers. It was hoop netted over the rail by these anglers who were instructed to return it to the water. Following the return to the water, the fish was floating and not responding. Upon seeing this, a different group of anglers tied on a surface iron and proceeded to snag the fish and hoist it back up to the pier - at which point CALTIP was called. The DFG called the lifeguards who did come out and inform the "snaggers" to return the fish to the water. By this time the fish had pretty much had it. Apparently, some surfers did their best to try to revive the fish for some time, but it never swam away on it's own power.

Always amazing what kind of idiots come down here to fish and cause trouble vs. the decent people who we don't need to be concerned with. Moral to this story is - call CALTIP when you see these morons poaching - you could just claim a reward! Store this number on your cell 888 334-2258 just for this purpose...

Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: