pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> New Direction: Ugly Stik [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:37 am
Charlessyverson

After further research and feedback, I have decided to go with an Ugly Stick for my first pier rod. At recommendations for length and action? I will be primarily soaking bait, trying to catch whatever is biting that day! I am looking at 7-9' and either of the medium actions (either 1/2-3 oz or 1-4 oz). Is there much difference in the actions or applications of these?
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:33 am
bigred805

Just grab an ugly stik tiger no sense in beating a high end rod up on the pier when an ugly stik will handle it all. I prefer using a longer rod for the casting distance but 7 ft will be plenty on the pier but 8 ft has always been my in between spot. They have an ugly stik tiger model # BWD2200-2 its 8 ft ML action rated 1-4 oz lures sounds like it would be a good rod for all around pier duty. Now if your only targeting big bat rays or sharks you should probably get a MH or H action rod for a little more power incase you get into a big one but I have no doubt you could catch one on the ugly stik I suggested it will just take a little more finesse ha. As for the difference in ratings on ugly stiks .... They are going to be very similar its just a fiberglass rod made to take a beating and keep on fishin so I wouldnt give it too much attention on the rods action. By using braid you'll be able to see a lot more hits on your ugly stik than if you were using mono . My 2 cents
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:47 am
illcatchanything2

If you can find one, an Ugly Stick Inter-Coastal 8'6" is a great rod. I have one and have caught everything from Halibut to Medium sized bat rays on it.

As far as an all around pier rod, you really cant go wrong with the 7' one piece Ugly Stick Tiger. Will handle anything you hook into....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:49 am
Charlessyverson

What is the difference between a regular ugly stik and the tiger model?
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:14 am
illcatchanything2

Charlessyverson wrote:
What is the difference between a regular ugly stik and the tiger model?

Most people who think of a "regular" Ugly Stick now days think of the 2 piece black rod. The Tiger model is a 1 piece (usually wood tone) rod. These are the rods (the tiger) that most party boats use for their rental rods because they can take a beating and keep fishing.

Also, my Tiger rod is rated up to 8oz, my 7' Black Ugly is only rated to 6...

Both are good starter pier rods, the tiger will take a little more of a beating than will the 2 piece... What it really comes down to is weight (the 2 piece is lighter than the 1 piece), and space. If you dont have a vehicle that you can fit a 7' one piece rod into, then go with the 2 piece. Both will serve you well and once you get going you will collect (like most of the rest of us) different rods for different things.... Before you know it you will have an entire wagon full of stuff with 8 rods hanging from the side while strolling down the pier Smile

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:12 am
Jun Dimagmaliw

illcatchanything2 wrote:
If you can find one, an Ugly Stick Inter-Coastal 8'6" is a great rod. I have one and have caught everything from Halibut to Medium sized bat rays on it.

As far as an all around pier rod, you really cant go wrong with the 7' one piece Ugly Stick Tiger. Will handle anything you hook into....

In case someone (local in the bay area) is still looking for the Ugly Stik Intercoastal model as recommended by ICA2, they have them available at the Walmart in Fremont (Albrae St) both in the 8'6" and 7' model in casting and spinning. They are priced at $39.99 (7 footer, I think). As he mentioned, this model is a great all around rod for the pier, shore and jetty. Saw them last weekend while shopping for trout fishing supplies.

Jun

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:44 am
gudawg

illcatchanything2 wrote:

I agree I have 2 8'6" intercoastals 1 spinning 1 conventional casting. I have landed bat ray to 42 in (wingspan) 4ft sevengill and lots of smaller fish. It will cast heavier lead if need be (4 oz is about my limit) I fish piers and surf with it and it works a a good boat rod also. cant go wrong fo the price. Only at walmart I believe.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: