pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> Keeping baitcasting rod right side up on piers [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:13 am
pmc255

I've been experimenting with a baitcasting combo and enjoy using it to toss lures from the shore. However, I've found it difficult to use on the piers since it does not stay upright. Once I set the rod against the railing, the reel's weight causes the rod to turn upside down, which isn't good since the rod isn't designed to bend that way.

Any tips for using a baitcasting rod on a pier? I think a rod holder would be the straightforward solution, but I don't have one and usually just prefer to lean the rod against the railing. I've found that sticking the rod into the holes drilled into some pier railings can help, but not all piers have them.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:53 pm
red fish

Quote:
I think a rod holder would be the straightforward solution, but I don't have one and usually just prefer to lean the rod against the railing. I've found that sticking the rod into the holes drilled into some pier railings can help, but not all piers have them.
Simply, a rod holder, yes. Rod holder helps too if you like to fish a few pounds of drag on a circle hook and let the rod load up while it is in the holder setting the hook. I haven't had any adverse effects with hooking a fish by letting a bait-caster or conventional sit upside down on the rail. When you pick it up and "do your thing," it will be right side up then.

Some guys will get a PVC plumbing T and affix it to the butt of the rod in an attempt to set it right side up on the rail, and that works sort of...
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:44 am
tackleholic

pmc255 wrote:
I've found that sticking the rod into the holes drilled into some pier railings can help, but not all piers have them.

Just bring a cordless power drill and some drillbits to drill door knob holes the next time you hit up the pier....problem solved! (Jk) hehe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:00 am
bigred805

Just cut a length of pvc tube that fits the handle of your rod and cut off one end at a 45 degree angle and bungee cord it to the rail works perfect.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:25 am
illcatchanything2

I dont normally use rod holders and I petty much fish with conventional reels exclusively.

What I do is use a circle hook and leave my drag loose enough so that I have time to pick up the rod, turn it over & set the hook.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:49 pm
mav

pmc255 wrote:
I've been experimenting with a baitcasting combo and enjoy using it to toss lures from the shore. However, I've found it difficult to use on the piers since it does not stay upright. Once I set the rod against the railing, the reel's weight causes the rod to turn upside down, which isn't good since the rod isn't designed to bend that way.

Any tips for using a baitcasting rod on a pier? I think a rod holder would be the straightforward solution, but I don't have one and usually just prefer to lean the rod against the railing. I've found that sticking the rod into the holes drilled into some pier railings can help, but not all piers have them.

Actually, the rod IS supposed to bend that way, on a baitcaster... Think about how the rod bends when you hook up on a fish. A spinning rod isn't supposed to bend like that when resting...

I just lean my rod on the rail resting on one of the guides to allow line movement with my clicker on or my drags loose. (I've seen three consecutive rods fly into the water. Boy that guy was pissed.) The only problem I have is when people don't look where they are walking and they trip over my rods... So, I always watch for that...

I had some dumb teen knock over my whole setup and kept walking without an apology or anything... He just kept walking, trying to look cool, after tripping...
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: