pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Fishing Tutorials This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
>> Braid Vs Mono ; Which is better for you? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:51 pm
spartan06

i'm sure we've all heard the discussion of braid vs mono but not many have provided examples explaining their reasoning. well let's discuss this here.

my main statement here is about the fight with a larger fish, namely bat rays. while alot of people will reach for the braid, i assume because with braid you can have a lot more live on your spool (that's my reason), but mono has an advantage that i'm pretty sure you all know about. mono stretches, by 25%-35%, and this stretch is the difference in the fight. now when you think about it, at 25%, if you have 100 yards out, the stretch gives you a 25 yard cushion. the strain you feel in the fight is drastically lessened by this stretch. now for braid, it is said that you feel all of the fight and there is no cushion. i'm here to tell you that it is completely true. from experience, i find that with braid, the sheer capacity is great, but with mono the stretch is the difference between sore arms the next day and a relaxing day on the couch.

so with my discussion of braid vs mono, here are my pros for braid and mono ;

Braid - more line on your spool so you have more line to fight a large fish at the same time having high breaking strain
*disadvantage - must be careful around rocks, rocks can cut your line during a fight

mono - stretch in the line allows for an easier fight with larger fish
*disadvantage - mono is thicker than braid so less line will fit on your spool

This concludes my post. Your thoughts?

PFIC Message Boards >> Fishing Tutorials This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: