pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in



Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> Cajun red lightnin 80lb too thick for hook eye [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:26 am
abyebye


Posts: 8
Location: Dublin, CA

Trying to make a dropper loop, but the line is too thick to double to pass through the hook eye.

Any suggestions?
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:43 pm
tackleholic


Posts: 798

Single pass the line through the hook eye then make the dropper loop after, or do a 3-way swivel with a short leader for the hook. This might work better because then you can use a lighter line to attach your sinker.
_________________
Let em go and let em grow
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:24 am
abyebye


Posts: 8
Location: Dublin, CA

Thanks! I like the 3-way swivel idea.

tackleholic wrote:
Single pass the line through the hook eye then make the dropper loop after, or do a 3-way swivel with a short leader for the hook. This might work better because then you can use a lighter line to attach your sinker.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:49 am
Jun Dimagmaliw


Posts: 501
Location: Fremont, SF East Bay

It depends on the size of the hook and manufacturer. For the 80lb cajun, I can double pass it to a 4/0 Gamakatsu Circle hook with no problem. I like the idea of the 3-way swivel but I personally prefer less hardware to minimize the chance of getting snagged.




Jun

_________________
Just another MacAddict
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:53 pm
Sin_Coast


Posts: 1844
Location: Marina, CA

You can increase the diameter of a hook eye using a hammer and a nail. I had to do that to a bunch of cheapo 5/0 Mustad octopus hooks after realizing the Cajun Red didn't fit through the eye!
_________________
Oh I'm sorry, I thought this was America?! hahaha
Top of page
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:32 pm
abyebye


Posts: 8
Location: Dublin, CA

Thank you Jun! That's just beautiful. Wish I can make one like that. BTW, I read your "fish market" reports so many times to learn rock fishing, and almost feel like I know you Smile

My 80lb Cajun line:
http://www.amazon.com/Cajun-Line-Lightning-2-Pound-Fishing/dp/B004985932/ref=pd_sim_sg_2

My Gamakatsu Circle hooks in size 5:
http://www.amazon.com/Gamakatsu-Circle-Offset-Octopus-Hook-Pack/dp/B005K0LTDM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362780591

I doubt that we are using the same thing as the cajun red company discontinued all the good stuffs you guys are using. And my line is way too thick to double pass through the hook eye.



Jun Dimagmaliw wrote:
It depends on the size of the hook and manufacturer. For the 80lb cajun, I can double pass it to a 4/0 Gamakatsu Circle hook with no problem. I like the idea of the 3-way swivel but I personally prefer less hardware to minimize the chance of getting snagged.




Jun
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:39 pm
abyebye


Posts: 8
Location: Dublin, CA

That's just brilliant!!! Definitely gonna try that tonight!
Man, you, surfsamurai, mbay, dpshim, salty nick, and frozendog.... are like living legends to me!

Sin_Coast wrote:
You can increase the diameter of a hook eye using a hammer and a nail. I had to do that to a bunch of cheapo 5/0 Mustad octopus hooks after realizing the Cajun Red didn't fit through the eye!
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:03 am
tackleholic


Posts: 798

You might also want to look into a different brand of hooks. It seems like the octopus in general, especially ones made by japanese manufactureres like owner and gama have fairly small eyes. Eagle claw lazer circle hooks have pretty big eyes...even the lighter ones. Mustad offshore circle hooks have huge eyes, probably to accomodate heavier lines. Only problem, the eagle claw and mustads arent nearly as sharp as the octopus gama or owner.
_________________
Let em go and let em grow
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:17 am
abyebye


Posts: 8
Location: Dublin, CA

Yeah, you are right. The Gamakatsu hooks are sharper than the Eagle claws.

tackleholic wrote:
You might also want to look into a different brand of hooks. It seems like the octopus in general, especially ones made by japanese manufactureres like owner and gama have fairly small eyes. Eagle claw lazer circle hooks have pretty big eyes...even the lighter ones. Mustad offshore circle hooks have huge eyes, probably to accomodate heavier lines. Only problem, the eagle claw and mustads arent nearly as sharp as the octopus gama or owner.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:52 pm
RobF


Posts: 568

I used to use the gama' hooks, but found that the eyes are very small. Switched to eagle claws, and got some benefits. The eyes are bigger, they are less expensive, and they bend slightly easier than the others (makes it easier to pull from a stuck rock). And the fish don't seem to care that I am being cheap with them. Smile
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:57 pm
RobF


Posts: 568

tackleholic wrote:
Single pass the line through the hook eye then make the dropper loop after, or do a 3-way swivel with a short leader for the hook. This might work better because then you can use a lighter line to attach your sinker.



This is what I use exclusively out there now, and it works great. I found the dropper loop rig to be unreliable. Now when I get a snag with the three-way and a lighter line to my sinker, almost always the line to my 25 cent sinker will break instead of losing most or all of a dropper loop rig. One other benefit is that when your sinker is snagged, and you have a fish on the line, you can just leave that cheap sinker down there and bring your fish in.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:36 pm
tackleholic


Posts: 798

RobF wrote:
tackleholic wrote:
Single pass the line through the hook eye then make the dropper loop after, or do a 3-way swivel with a short leader for the hook. This might work better because then you can use a lighter line to attach your sinker.



This is what I use exclusively out there now, and it works great. I found the dropper loop rig to be unreliable. Now when I get a snag with the three-way and a lighter line to my sinker, almost always the line to my 25 cent sinker will break instead of losing most or all of a dropper loop rig. One other benefit is that when your sinker is snagged, and you have a fish on the line, you can just leave that cheap sinker down there and bring your fish in.


Yeah, i started doing this when dropper looping my 60 lb. outfits from boats for yellows and sheephead. Its no fun trying to bust off 60 lb, let alone 80 lb especially with mono that stretches a lot. Id rather bust off quicker, put less stress on my gear, and then retie quickly. A lot of times itd be just the sinker stuck, and id still have my fish on. Before i started doing this, i had one deckhand try to get me out by wrapping the line around my tld to my chagrine, so after that i said fuggetabout that and started tying the bottom portion w. 20 or 25 lb. btw, are those homemade .25 sinkers? Lead has gotten so expensive these days, .25 might buy you a 1/2 oz sinker if you are lucky.

_________________
Let em go and let em grow
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:18 am
RobF


Posts: 568

tackleholic wrote:
RobF wrote:
tackleholic wrote:
Single pass the line through the hook eye then make the dropper loop after, or do a 3-way swivel with a short leader for the hook. This might work better because then you can use a lighter line to attach your sinker.



This is what I use exclusively out there now, and it works great. I found the dropper loop rig to be unreliable. Now when I get a snag with the three-way and a lighter line to my sinker, almost always the line to my 25 cent sinker will break instead of losing most or all of a dropper loop rig. One other benefit is that when your sinker is snagged, and you have a fish on the line, you can just leave that cheap sinker down there and bring your fish in.


Yeah, i started doing this when dropper looping my 60 lb. outfits from boats for yellows and sheephead. Its no fun trying to bust off 60 lb, let alone 80 lb especially with mono that stretches a lot. Id rather bust off quicker, put less stress on my gear, and then retie quickly. A lot of times itd be just the sinker stuck, and id still have my fish on. Before i started doing this, i had one deckhand try to get me out by wrapping the line around my tld to my chagrine, so after that i said fuggetabout that and started tying the bottom portion w. 20 or 25 lb. btw, are those homemade .25 sinkers? Lead has gotten so expensive these days, .25 might buy you a 1/2 oz sinker if you are lucky.



Yes they are home made from steel pipe and mortar. Somewhere I posted the instructions for making them. You can find it in my other posts.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Display posts from previous:   
Jump to: