pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> Gear for salmon mooching [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:53 pm
pmc255

With the salmon season on the horizon, I'm trying to get the right gear ready to go out on party boats to do some salmon mooching. I have a few general questions that hopefully the experienced members here will be able to answer:

1. What's the most common rod and reel setup for salmon mooching?

I think the standard rental gear on party boats is some sort of 7' Ugly Stik + Penn conventional reel. I have a 8'6" Shimano Clarus Salmon/Steelhead, but I'm not sure if that's suitable for mooching given that it's on the light side (rated for 8-12lb) and I've heard you need to step up to 20lb for salmon mooching to keep the fish in control and away from tangles.

2. What's the most common terminal tackle for salmon mooching?

If I remember correctly from my experience on a party boat last year, it's pretty much just a banana sinker plus a long leader to a barbless circle hook. Is that right?

2. Can you use spinning reels for mooching?

I used to think that only conventional reels are suitable since you control the depth with your thumb, but after thinking about it you can simply set the drag loose on a spinning reel to do the same. Is spinning gear suitable but just less convenient, or are there more downsides?

Thanks!
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:32 am
dkkim

you can over tighten a spinning real very easily. I wouldn't mess with the drag, just have a reel that can engage at the right drag setting. I prefer conventionals. Don't want to pull the hook.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: