pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> Swimbait size & color [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:08 pm
Rockfish Ninja

I'm going to get into more lure throwing this year and I want to flush out a small selection to cover as many fishing options as I can. Mainly target rockfish, lings, & cabbies, sometimes halibut. I have some Big Hammer jigheads so I'll probably go with their colors.

1- What size has been more successful for you 4" or 5"?

2- What colors have worked for you?

3- I've heard some folks glue their swimbaits to the jighead, how about you?

Thanks in advance for your info.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:22 pm
Baitchucker_

Stick to matching the hatch. Both in size & color. I've thrown lots of swimbaits to groundfish, but mostly from non-pier platforms. But halibut, been doing it for years. Stick to white or light green/white BH. For halibut, I like the 4" & 5" models. The hatch I like to match is smelt (norcal & socal) or grunion (socal). Glue 'em when you use 'em. They still may tear where the head meets the body. Don't be afraid to just bite off the torn section, the rethread onto the jig head.

Finally, when targeting halibut, make sure you vary your retrieve. Try everything from a slow roll to using them like a high-speed jerk bait.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:16 am
dkkim

don't forget to core your baits or you'll have to replace them every trip because they split.

btw, I've caught my biggest lings on messed up half eaten swim baits.... tails are falling off and I just hook it up in a awkward position.... but it works.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: