pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> 8-9-10ft? rod for pier/jetty/rocks [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:27 pm
Rockfish Ninja

OK as you can see from my past two posts in this section (-repl brkn surf rod guide & -mag or not to mag) I've got to spend some $ to keep going with this addiction we all have, so help me out with your thoughts.

Details:
-piers/jettys/rocks *In that order*

-Rockfish, greenlings, cabezon, lings, *dabs when
they're in close enough.

-fishing mostly near the GG br, 80% piers,jettys &
shore just inside, and 20% rocks & shore just outside.
Maybe a trip up or down the coast 1-2 times a year.

-What's left of my arsenal is one-7ft conventional/med, one-6ft conventional/lt a 7ft med/lt spinning, and one-11ft (bkn guide) surf rod.

-Not doing much casting into the breakers along the
beaches.

A 10ft is overkill for the piers, 9ft might be a little shy for outside the gate and might regret not getting a 10ft, 8ft is only good for piers & jettys. Cash is always an issue, so what do you think would cover the most options for the buck, cause I can only buy one rod.

Suggestions?
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:36 am
bigred805

I use my 10 ft rod for those applications and it works well... I agree 10ft isn't .needed on the pier but it hasn't been a problem for me. I have a 10 ft ocean master rated 4-8 oz and I use it for anything from soaking bait in the surf/pier to jetty fishing or cliff fishing. I like the heavy rod on the rocks to help get the fish up and the extra length helps to keep.the fish away from the rocks on the way up. If you go with a 10ft rod you can really save some weight by getting a composite or graphite rod instead of fiberglass.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:43 am
mav

If a 10ft rod covers it all for you, I'd go with the 10ft rod.. No regrets getting to the fish... You can always use your shorter rods on the pier if need be... I've never fished anything more than an 8ft on a pier before so I don't know how that would play out... My concerns are clueless people walking on the pier tripping on the rod and rashing up your new equipment... I think if you have a stable cart that has good rod holders you won't have any issues setting the rod down during pier fishing...
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:44 am
dkkim

anything from shore, I would use my 11'6" daiwa emblem. That this is light and still has some backbone. Plus its pretty cheap. I would only use smaller rods at a pier if I'm going live baitfishing for halibut or stripers.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:10 pm
Rockfish Ninja

dkkim wrote:
anything from shore, I would use my 11'6" daiwa emblem. That this is light and still has some backbone. Plus its pretty cheap. I would only use smaller rods at a pier if I'm going live baitfishing for halibut or stripers.

Yeah, I really liked that series for exactly the same reasons, the Emcast is almost as nice but the Emblem has a more sensitive tip, both light & w/backbone.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:15 pm
Rockfish Ninja

Thanks for the input guys, I know what to do.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:43 pm
Bat Ray Master

For a 10ft rod I like to use a 10ft Shakespeare Ugly Stik Bigwater rod, works great for me and it is super sensitive.
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: