pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Newbie looking for some tips (SF area) [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:39 pm
ob_kook

I'm not a newbie to fishing, just to saltwater fishing. I grew up in MN with a cottage on a lake and have fished Walleye, Northern Pike, Muskie, Bass (LM/SM), Crappie, Sunnies, Catfish, Trout, and whatever else was biting. I've jigged, lindy rigged, trolled rapalas at moonlight, drifted worm rigs, bait-casted, bobbered, fly fished, heck, I've dug more holes through 3 ft. of ice to haul slabs in -10 degree weather than I'd care to remember!

But I don't know much about saltwater fishing, and since it is now in my back yard, I'd better learn quick.

SO...I've picked up some basic gear. Decent Penn 9 ft. rod with a nice backbone and sensitive tip paired with a so-so spinning reel with 15 lb. mono line. I've got some terminal tackle to tie up some live bait snells, some 3/4 oz jigs and I'm ready to go.

Since I live near the Sunset area of SF, I figure that Fort Point, Fort Baker, and Pacifica are the places I'll start going to figure it out.

The question I have is, given the season, tha areas, and the level of expertise, do you have any general tips I can use as guidance? I'd really like to get into some halibut and stripers, but I am not sure if these places mentioned produce those fish, or if I'd be better off trying for perch...

It sure is frustrating not knowing anything again (but is fun having everything open to exploration again). Thanks in advance for any help!

Kook

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:46 pm
ob_kook

By the way, props to you all for this great board, and this great site!

Without a doubt it was finding this resource that kickstarted me into getting edumacated in this "new" hobby! Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:18 pm
geekster

ob_kook wrote:
By the way, props to you all for this great board, and this great site!

Without a doubt it was finding this resource that kickstarted me into getting edumacated in this "new" hobby! Smile
I'm down in SoCal, but can make one VERY safe recommendation that will help you out. Buy a copy of Ken's "Pier Fishing in California" book (his 2nd Edition is the latest). I've lived in California most of my life and started pier fishing at Seal Beach as a very young lad back in the 50s. Thought I'd learned about everything there was to know on the subject until, on a whim, I ordered Ken's book off of Amazon.com - damn - over 50 years and I had barely scratched the surface! Armed with a copy of that book and continually perusing this domain - I am STILL learning!

Good luck and remember - tight lines.
-=dave=-

Last edited by geekster on Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:07 pm
Del

great advice... I've been fishing for 50 years, tried everything you can imagine and still learn something new every time I pick up ken's book. It is the authority on pier fishing. You can pick up a copy from Barnes and Noble..Good luck and welcome to California.
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:16 pm
ob_kook

LOL, thanks guys!

After Geekster's post, I placed an order on Amazon for the book. After Del's I changed it from SuperSaver Shipping to 2 Day...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:23 am
illcatchanything2

Welcome to the area!! Your gear sounds fine for Halis & Stripers & the places that you are going to fish may get you into some, although you would probably have a better shot at Berkeley Pier. A couple of tips:

1) you might want to pick up a 2nd rod with some heavier gear for sharks and/or rays if that interests you

2)DO NOT target perch @ Ft. Baker or Ft. Point until August 1st (I think) as they are closed inside the bay. It is ok to target them at Pacifica as that is an Ocean pier.

3) Have fun and enjoy. Once the old board comes back online, search the archives along with reading Kens book. Both are invaluable resources.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:12 am
piemel

Buy Ken's book.... simply the best resource out there.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:09 am
ob_kook

The book arrived. I'm psyched. Hit Hi's Tackle Box to pick up some basics, and might play hooky tomorrow afternoon (Friday) to hit Pacifica. I'm not expecting too much, but I'd just like to get a line wet!

Thanks for the recommendation on the book.

Kook

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:00 am
gordo grande

I'm glad you bought the book. You won't be sorry. Another suggestion: As soon as the old board gets back online, make use of the search function. There is a wealth of knowledge over there.

One other suggestion: Go to the PFIC get-togethers, e.g. the Mud Marlin Derby, the Catalina GT, the mid-state GT coming up in August. Get to know some of your fellow PFICers.

"Hey! Let's be careful out there!"

Sgt. Phil Esterhaus
"Hill Street Blues"
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:10 pm
northern boy

Try and come to the Mud Marlin Derby on June 14th at Berkeley Pier. You'll meet a whole bunch of local fishing folk; it's much better to get advice in person. Plus you might get to catch a batray, which is a lot of fun if you never have before. It sounds like your setup could handle a batray with a bit of care but if not I'm sure someone can lend you one. Or else you can fish for halibut/stripers while we batray!

http://www.pierfishing.com/pfevents/
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:05 am
norcalkat

ill try to make that event!! looks like good times
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:20 am
ob_kook

northern boy wrote:
Try and come to the Mud Marlin Derby on June 14th at Berkeley Pier. You'll meet a whole bunch of local fishing folk; it's much better to get advice in person. Plus you might get to catch a batray, which is a lot of fun if you never have before. It sounds like your setup could handle a batray with a bit of care but if not I'm sure someone can lend you one. Or else you can fish for halibut/stripers while we batray!

Hey, thanks for the tip, Northern Boy! Looks like it would be a blast. I need to try and rearrange a couple of things, but I'll see what I can do.

I am sure my rod would be great for Bats, but 15lb. mono sounds like it might be a challenge. What are most people using for that - 30-50 lb. braided?

I've got a casting reel I use for Muskie at my folks cabin up in Northern MN, but I doubt I can get it here in time. Maybe I can find something used and cheap on Craigslist that would work...

Kook

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:19 am
illcatchanything2

ob_kook wrote:
northern boy wrote:

Hey, thanks for the tip, Northern Boy! Looks like it would be a blast. I need to try and rearrange a couple of things, but I'll see what I can do.

I am sure my rod would be great for Bats, but 15lb. mono sounds like it might be a challenge. What are most people using for that - 30-50 lb. braided?

I've got a casting reel I use for Muskie at my folks cabin up in Northern MN, but I doubt I can get it here in time. Maybe I can find something used and cheap on Craigslist that would work...

Kook

You might be OK with 15# mono. You would just have to play the fish for a while. Of course there are those rays out there that will snap even 30#, but those are all reserved for Mel Smile. As for a good ray line weight, I use 35# mono with a 100 yard or so top shot of 50# mono. I have never had one snap that line (knock on wood). As for a cheap reel, if you like spinners, most wal mart stores have a 20-30 $ spinner that will hold 250 yards of 30# mono. That should do fine for you.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: