pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page 1, 2  Next
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> tensioning braid while loading the reel [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:58 pm
RobF

Well I don't know how you are supposed to do this. I did not use the magic google to ask. I just figured it out myself.

My last trip to the rocks with newish line on my conventional reel ended up with the line not packed tight enough and birdnest city.

So I pulled all the line out with the intention of putting it back on with some tension. I wanted a way to put tension on the line other than my fingers.

I ended up using a water soaked dish towel and a pair of needle nose vise grips. Wrap the towel around the line as it hangs from an eye of the pole. Clamp the vise grips around the towel and line. Adjust tightness of the vise grips to get the proper tension in your line. Worked pretty darn well, but I'm sure someone will point out a simpler way to do it.

Rob
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:59 pm
csmerril

Yeah, it helps to get the braid wet before spooling it on.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:21 pm
bigred805

Lol I have done something similar except I just held the wet towel and ran the li.e through it while squeezing it (pain in the butt) . Your way sounds like it would work well enough as long as the line isn't being damaged by the clamp I suppose. Personally now if I'm spoiling large amount of braid on my avets (300 yards or more) ill just take it the local tackle shop and pay them the 5 bucks to spool it on tight with their machine . It's worth the money to get it on right the first time so you dont lose half your braid first cast. Berkley makes a cheap mini spooling station for around 30 bucks that I have been thinking about checking out for a while but haven't pulled the trigger on might be worth a look.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:21 pm
k1n

I typically use a folded piece of paper (four to six folds) and run the braid through there, using my fingers to keep tension on the line (tighter squeeze on the paper = tighter pack). It's a little tricky, but when you're out on the field, it's a lot easier.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:58 pm
Salvelinus

Another helpful hint for spooling braid is to add some electrical tape on top of the spool before spooling, or a layer or so of mono so that the braid has something to bite into, otherwise the whole mass of braid will spin freely on the spool. Had this happen to me on a couple reels, one that took me 4 or so years to realize what was happening.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:10 pm
Jun Dimagmaliw

RobF wrote:
Well I don't know how you are supposed to do this. I did not use the magic google to ask. I just figured it out myself.

My last trip to the rocks with newish line on my conventional reel ended up with the line not packed tight enough and birdnest city.

So I pulled all the line out with the intention of putting it back on with some tension. I wanted a way to put tension on the line other than my fingers.

I ended up using a water soaked dish towel and a pair of needle nose vise grips. Wrap the towel around the line as it hangs from an eye of the pole. Clamp the vise grips around the towel and line. Adjust tightness of the vise grips to get the proper tension in your line. Worked pretty darn well, but I'm sure someone will point out a simpler way to do it.

Rob

I knew it! It was only a matter of time for RobF to figure out a better way of doing it. Unconventional, but certainly made it work. Specially for making use of what you got.

Jun

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:18 pm
csmerril

Salvelinus wrote:
Another helpful hint for spooling braid is to add some electrical tape on top of the spool before spooling, or a layer or so of mono so that the braid has something to bite into, otherwise the whole mass of braid will spin freely on the spool. Had this happen to me on a couple reels, one that took me 4 or so years to realize what was happening.

You have to do this with all reels. I prefer electrical tape. In time if you don't use either it will free spool

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:52 pm
Salvelinus

csmerril wrote:

You have to do this with all reels.

Thats what I was implying. I've only had this problem with braid on both casting and spinning reels.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:56 am
Baitchucker_

Here's the problem. If you never been spooled by a leviathan, I can guarantee you when it happens, you will wish you had spooled your reel to maximize every bit of your reel spool without leaving ANY short amount of excess on the filler spool.

When a fish has you to the bottom of your spool, you will wish that 1/4" gap that you missed when filling your reel was just a bad dream. On the other hand, over-filling your reel creates its own set of wasteful problems. As well, the stuff is expensive. So leaving a short amount on the filler spool is a waste.

To get it perfectly on your reel is a bit time consuming, painful in the arms, and mundane. But, you only have to once in every great while. I have two original Avet LX (circa 2002 or 03) that still has the original 65# Power Pro. I would take those two reels out tomorrow to target sturgeon; that's how much confidence in line that's at least 10 years old!

It's a three step process using two spare reels and their drag system. . The spare reels must be larger in capacity than the targeted reel.

First, mount the targeted reel to a rod, thread the braid the guides, and temporarily attached the it to the bare spool using tape.

Without tension, reel up the braid, attach the mono backing, fill it to the very top of the fill line of the reel (Hint: based on line diameter, the braid filler spool should never be longer than the reel capacity. Also, the mono backing strength should be equal or greater than the braid).

Remove the targeted reel from the rod and mount the first of two transfer reels. Re-thread the line and again attach via tape. This time, add tension by backing off the drag from the target reel and transfer the line.
(Hint: Using heavy boat rods will stabilize the reels during the transfer, as well as add tension to the line during the packing of the spool).

Repeat the above step for the second transfer reel. Maintain the tension during the transfer. Note: with this step, the mono backing is staged to be on the bottom of targeted reel's spool.

Final step - transfer the line back to the originally targeted reel. Make sure you use a good knot mounting the mono backing to the spool.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:51 am
bipnilaga

Run the line between a big phone book and use ur foot to tension the line. This is the easy way. Adjust foot pressure as needed. The phone book will shred, but paper isn't abrasive enough to damage the braid. You can get it spooled really tight this way.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:19 pm
tackleholic

My method is similar to baitchuckers, except i generally just use 2 reels. I spool the braid from the factory spool as tight as i can onto a big reel mounted onto a rod..using my fingers as tension while wearing a golf glove. i have a 6/0 just for this purpose...or a lever drag if i have an empty one available. I then spool the braid onto my target reel using the drag of the 6/0 or lever drag to properly tension on the braid. I set the 6/0 rod in a milk crate that has rocket launchers on it, and put one of my sinker ammo cans in the crate...at least 30 lbs, maybe more, so the crate isnt going anywhere. I always wear the glove while windinng the braid on evenly. I've probally gone through 4-5 golf gloves already..they rip up pretty easily with braid, but one year i found a bunch on sale for less than a buck each so they were cheap to me. If im on a boat, and my braid is kind of loose...maybe i had a long soak with lots of line out and didnt get anything, i sometimes just let out my braid between stops and reel it back in with the golf glove on, and with the line dragging and extra pressure i can exert with the glove on,+ wet line, that usually does the trick.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:21 pm
Baitchucker_

tackleholic wrote:
If im on a boat, and my braid is kind of loose...maybe i had a long soak with lots of line out and didnt get anything, i sometimes just let out my braid between stops and reel it back in with the golf glove on, and with the line dragging and extra pressure i can exert with the glove on,+ wet line, that usually does the trick.

When long ranging, I keep a water bottle cap with an eye bolt, washer, & nut through it. Between stops, just screw it on an empty water bottle and pin it to your hook and toss it over board. Just let out long enough to get pass the soft stuff. You don't want to interfere with the troll team.

Talk about laying it on tight...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:04 am
tackleholic

I'll have to try that.
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:08 pm
RobF

Well I'm happy to say that I was able to cast almost as well as Jun with my newly tightened line. Now I see several different ways to get it tight.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:35 am
Jun Dimagmaliw

RobF wrote:
Well I'm happy to say that I was able to cast almost as well as Jun with my newly tightened line. Now I see several different ways to get it tight.

Just a little practice and I know you'll be able to cast much further. Just don't take any equipment maintenance tips from Salty Nick and you are good to go.

Jun

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 2  Page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: