pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> Pier/Surf Combo [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:41 pm
Charlessyverson

Is a surf rod "usable" on a pier? I am considering getting one of the 4 piece 10' St Croix travel surf rods with a Shimano Baitrunner or Penn Live Liner. Is this going to be too heavy for pier use? If I were to get a separate pier rod (ugly stik), what size reel would you recommend that would cover both applications?

Thank you again for all of the advice!
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:36 pm
Baitchucker_

Hey Charles,
You're asking the wrong question. Could a 10' rod be used on a pier? Sure... Lotsa sharay anglers fish with a big, ole, cumbersome rod. But it really depends on what you are targeting. Matching a reel is basically the same process. Determine your quarry, then determine how you are going to target them.

Just remember, fishing is much like golf.... The game was never intended to be played with one club.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:11 am
illcatchanything2

Yes they can. Like Baitchuker said, it depends on what you are after.

I have a 12' Ugly that I use on piers when I target Sha/Rays. The longer rods like that give you a couple advantages for Sha/Rays from a pier.

They give you more casting distance and they also help if the fish runs under the pier.

My normal rod "collection" that I bring to the pier is the 12' Ugly, my 8'6" Inter-coastal and my 7' Tiger. That way I can target a variety of species and also have back ups ready in case of a break off (that way I still have 2 lines in the water while I deal with re-rigging or untangling...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:24 am
Charlessyverson

I have a medium 7' rod I plan to use for perch and other small stuff. I am considering getting a 10' st croix surf travel rod, as I travel a lot and fish the coast in Texas and Florida. I have never pier fished in california before so I am really looking for all the advice I can find. I have also considered getting a medium heavy 7'6" st croix tidemaster and just using that for whatever bites. I probably only have the funds for one rod, so am continuing to look for guidance. Keep the feedback coming please! Also, if it is helpful, I will be fishing crystal and Oceanside piers the beginning of April, if that helps with selection based upon available species at that time.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:14 am
Baitchucker_

St Croix is a really expensive rod to fish for "whatever bites". Likewise, if you are thinking that you are going to a SoCal pier and use a long rod to over-head cast to honey hole, you will most likely just end up with a court date as overhead casting is illegal on a lot of SoCal public piers. Here in NorCal, I've not seen a "No Over-Head Casting" sign like the ones posted on the SoCal piers. So, up here, overhead casting is the rule of thumb. Regardless, just about any rod & reel can be used to under-hand pitch from those tall piers down south.

Personally, I'm a Calstar & Seeker fan that fishes with conventional reels. I wouldn't even consider offering "coffee grinder" nor non-Calstar/Seeker advice. Still, I just don't see the advantages of a longer rod from the SoCal public piers.

If you are thinking that you could hit the shorelines, be prepared to pay for a temp license for the outing. I don't know the cost, but a google search will get you that info.

Coming back to "Whatever Bites". Sharks & rays really fill that category well... And they get big (comparatively speaking). They can be caught throughout the water column from the breakers to far past the ends of our piers. My absolute favorite catching/eating was the Shovelnose (guitarfish). Big ones went to 50+lbs, but average eaters were 20 to 30lbs. A little tricky to get the loins out, but once you knew how, piece of cake & oh-so-good! Bat Rays are still a favorite of mine when fishing SoCal. I've caught some big ones down there. We won't even go into how big, but I was glad to be fishing a Sabre 670H rod back then (7ft, 50# class rod) with Penn 500/505 reels, & 40lbs test. Some battles were easily 20 to 30 minutes. Crowds of people would follow you as you followed your fish. Back then, the Newport Pier didn't have railing. So sometimes, guys would get so "pressed" by the crowds, they'd fall off the pier while fighting their fish! Thank god the under part of the pier was still accessible. The bait shack would lower the receiver below to help the angler back up.

Anyway, come & fish our public piers. It's free! Pick up a cheap 30-80lb class rod for the "Whatever" category and pitch some whole squid, a fillet of mackerel, or a sabiki caught smelt/grunion. There's a good possibility that you will be thinking, "Something wicked this way comes"!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:08 am
cast straight

Baitchucker, there is signage on NorCal's Pacifica Pier stating No Overhead Casting, although I see
it being done routinely there, especially at the end
of the pier where the crabbers are trying to launch
their snares as far as possible.On Google image search enter Pacifica Pier and you'll find pics with
the signage. Also you'll see pics towards the end of
the images of Ken Jones holding a fish, Mahigeer with
a guitarfish, and Flipback 1976 holding a crab, (same
pic used on his posts)not all 100% Pacifica Pier pics.
I don't think more expensive gear is necassary on a pier, especially after you've added heavier lines and weights to it. I'd reserve a St. Croix for more
finesse type fishing rather than propped on a pier.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:19 am
Sin_Coast

I would suggest a shorter rod for sure. It will be more versatile for differen applications. And a 10ft surf rod w/b overkill for most socal fishing. I'd focus on something in the 7.5-9ft range.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:17 pm
Baitchucker_

cast straight wrote:
Baitchucker, there is signage on NorCal's Pacifica Pier stating No Overhead Casting..

Thanks for the info. I rarely venture to the piers beyond the SF Bay. Regardless, the reference was a reminder that we should be promoting the lawful rules esp. to a traveling visitor. Only reason why a surf rod would be purchased to fish our piers would be to cast over-head.

It's been a long time since I've fished the Oceanside Pier, but I remember that it's a "No-Overhead Casting" pier like the majority of SoCal public piers. I would normally fish in the harbor anyway where Overhead casting is legal. I've never even fished the other pier that Charles mention. So, I should have disclaimed that info.

Still, bottom line: Don't buy a St. Croix. Spend the money more wisely on less-expensive gear. Oh, the only advice i can give on a spinning reel is Instead of a Shimano BR, you may consider an Okuma BR (Coronado) instead.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:23 pm
s_l

I disagree on "less expensive" with following "Codonado" from Okuma as a good sample of BR reel.
I am a big fan of Okuma for many years(at least 13!), and own many okuma reels. Coronado is not a good choice - too stiff and cheap, not smooth at all. I would suggest Epixor EB as a cheapest reel and Cedros as a good one! Also I would say Shimano BR is not a bad reel at all Smile It is not exactly the most reliable or smooth one (mine 4500 had some problems-to-fix) but you feel good enough with that one on your rod Smile
What I strongly dislike though is a "4 piece rod"!
In my opinion, if you need one to travel with - buy telescopic European like that: [img]http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/psfishing_2250_127115[/img] from german Balzer or something like that. Diablo IV size 145 works for me for many years!
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: