pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
>> Fishcake Recipe - Updated [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:16 pm
frozendog

This is the miracle of the "loaves and fishes". You can really stretch out a little fish for your family.

Submitted this before, but I lost the pictures, so I will redo it.

This is a bit labor intensive. Give yourself some time. It takes me about an hour of prep.

1. First thing you need is some fresh breadcrumbs. I used wheat bread (leftover - no crusts) in a food processor. I used 4-6 slices of bread. Depends on how much fish you have. I used one fillet from a good sized cab. If you have to, you can use dry breadcrumbs. Fishcakes are like meatloaf. You judge the amount by feel.

2. I diced up a nice sized cab fillet into very small pieces - about the size of my fingernail. Seasoned with salt and pepper and some Emrilís seasoning. Also I found a dozen small shrimp in the frig that I cut up and added. Let them sit for an hour or so with the seasoning. Shrimp is optional. It comes out fine with just fish.

3. Now the veggies. Everything that goes into the cakes is raw so I want small pieces so everything cooks all the way. You could cook the veggies and fish separately and combine, but that means extra steps. For the veggies, I used onion, green onion, zucchini, jalepeno, and shitake mushrooms, garlic to taste, red bell pepper. I make it 50/50 veggies/fish. But you can stretch it out with more of either one. Every time you make it, it will probably be a little different.

4. Mixture: Mix the veggies and fish and a beaten egg together. This is where you need to judge the moisture and start adding your breadcrumbs. Keep adding the breadcrumbs until the mixture will hold together in a patty in your hand. If they are two wet they will fall apart and you need to add more breadcrumbs. Some people make golf ball sized cakes and deep fry them. We prefer patties.

5. Let it sit in the refrigerator at least an hour. Several hours or over night is better.

6. Form patties in your hand - about the size of a small hamburger patty - not too thick. Remember this is all raw and you want it to cook it quickly all the way through. Roll the patties in panko crumbs. Let them sit for a bit to make sure they hold together. If they donít, add more bread crumbs or panko (either one).

7. Shallow fry in a little oil with a pat of butter. 2-3 at a time. Donít crowd the pan or you canít turn them over. Cook on each side until golden brown, approx 3- 5 minutes per side on medium heat. If you turn them over and they fall apart, scoop them back together and let them finish cooking. You can drain the broken ones on a paper towel and eat like hash. Still tasty. They were probably too wet. Try adding more breadcrumbs to the next ones. The first few times you do this, will be trial and error. My wife says they get better each time I make them. But I still break them. We usually have enough for leftovers the next day. On day two, check the moisture again. May need more breadcrumbs.

8. Enjoy! We like a mango salsa on top, but any sauce you like would be good. I prefer mine without sauce.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:03 pm
muttfishr

Im gonna try these, and I'll reply after I do...mutt.
PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: