pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page 1, 2  Next
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> cajun red lightnin leader material [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:36 am
fsh42na

i've seen a lot of mention of this leader material, but am having serious difficulty locating it. I found some 80 lb on Ebay, but would like to get some 100 lb test. James Tackle in PA is out of it. Where are people getting this stuff?

Thanks a bunch!
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:51 am
RobF

Another company bought out cajun and decided to discontinue the 100lb. It's no longer made. I've been doing without it for six months or so and have not noticed any degraded fishing performance.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:21 am
Jun Dimagmaliw

Rob is correct. The brand was bought out by Zebco and they discontinued the 100lb test. I have been buying mine from http://www.catfishsupply.net/ for over a year now and I bought their very last one last December. It's a customer return that just happened to come back the day I called. I have been using the 80lb test lately and because of the decrease in kelp beds this winter, it hasn't been much of a problem. And because of the smaller diameter of the line, you can use a smaller hook that would suit your style.

By the way, you can blame Pete for the short supply on the 100lb test. He buys them by the pallets. Sad

Jun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:04 pm
Jun Dimagmaliw

If anyone had use the 100lb test Cajun line in the past and found a similar line in terms of anti-abrasiveness, please let us know the brand. I know I will be needing it during the summer time.

Thanks in advance.

Jun

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:20 pm
fsh42na

Jun Dimagmaliw wrote:
Rob is correct. The brand was bought out by Zebco and they discontinued the 100lb test. I have been buying mine from http://www.catfishsupply.net/ for over a year now and I bought their very last one last December. It's a customer return that just happened to come back the day I called. I have been using the 80lb test lately and because of the decrease in kelp beds this winter, it hasn't been much of a problem. And because of the smaller diameter of the line, you can use a smaller hook that would suit your style.

By the way, you can blame Pete for the short supply on the 100lb test. He buys them by the pallets. Sad

Jun
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:06 pm
og

I like suffix tritanium but it aint cheap:
http://www.anglerscenter.com/gamefishing-accessories/line-leader/sufix-tritanium-plus-monofilament-line/
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:16 am
lightear

I have found 80lb cajun to be sufficient, problem is I don't get to kelp/cliff fish the central coast much. so my opinion probably doesn't matter.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:35 am
tackleholic

Jun Dimagmaliw wrote:

Jun

So is the quality the same after they were bought by zebco?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:51 am
Jun Dimagmaliw

tackleholic wrote:
Jun Dimagmaliw wrote:

Jun

So is the quality the same after they were bought by zebco?

No noticeable difference, if there's any.

Incidentally, haven't heard from Samurai in a while. Probably overseas negotiating with the plant that makes the Cajun redline to manufacture 100 lb test again.

Jun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:37 pm
Sin_Coast

20lb Berkeley BG works too.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:42 am
radlations

I've got a question.

What's the point of this leader.

I have 80lb braid on my line. What's the downside to making a leader out of my braid?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:15 am
seabass_seeker

Rocks will cut braid like a knife.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:00 pm
Jun Dimagmaliw

radlations wrote:
I've got a question.

What's the point of this leader.

I have 80lb braid on my line. What's the downside to making a leader out of my braid?

Apart from the braid being easily prone to abrasion like seabass_seeker said, I like to have that high quality but small profile swivel between the leader and mainline to minimize line twisting. Just a personal preference for me. I am sure you can catch fish with just the 80lb test braid.

Jun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:44 am
tackleholic

So does the red color of this line really help make it invisible to the fish and help you get bit better? Ive never used the stuff but have used pink yozuri hybrid and Ande pink offshore for tuna and yellowtail, but i cant honestly say whether i got bit better with the pink than other anglers using clear. Maybe a stupid question because obviously you guys like this...but does using this darker red make a discernible difference than say using the same diameter line in clear or even pink?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:34 am
Mahigeer

What I have heard is that the color red disappears below three (3) feet of water. By disappearing I think it means it looks gray or clear.

I don't know if it is any better than Fluorocarbon.

On the other hand, I would think when rock fishing, usually there are a lot of turbulence and waves and such that maybe line visibility would not matter.

Bill Varney who has a book about surf fishing also recommends using the red line for surf fishing.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 2  Page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: