pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> Quarry lakes advice [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:27 am
pinoyfisherman

Hey guys, was thinking about taking my 7 year old cousins out to quarry lakes this sunday as their birthday present for them....how're the trout biting out there? Any advice on what color power bait to use, any spots to fish? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks! You can PM me any info too if you guys don't want to share it out...
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:51 pm
Salty Nick v2

Haven't been out there too much yet this season. I always like rainbow powerbait (floating w/ glitter), or chartreuse. I also like power worm w/ power egg combo, in any combination of white, chartruese or pink. And make sure to pour some Berkley trout attractant (that liquid stuff) over whatever you use. Also like half a nightcrawler / power egg combo - with the worm inflated.

If it's real early in the morning, I'll cast one line close and one out far - but as it gets later I'll cast both lines out far.

I'll use light leader (2 - 4# test). I tend to like the back of the lake, but it's a long walk - peninsula, too. But I like solitude, and don't like guys casting over my line. Fisherman's Row can be good sometimes, and I've heard the front (Kiosk) cove has been good - but I've only fished there a couple times, with mixed results. I went maybe a month ago, and the water level was way down. They had put in some more Christmas tree 'reefs' at the bottom of the lake.

Salty.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:03 pm
flipback1976

pinoyfisherman wrote:
Hey guys, was thinking about taking my 7 year old cousins out to quarry lakes this sunday as their birthday present for them....how're the trout biting out there? Any advice on what color power bait to use, any spots to fish? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks! You can PM me any info too if you guys don't want to share it out...

Sup PF, I live down the road from there and fish it quite a bit. For one it is only non lead weights so make sure you have those and no lead on you. Last couple of week its been kinda slow but they are still catching. When I go I either fish to the left of the swim beach or the right of the boat launch.

As far as rigging and baits your standard Carolina rig is the norm there and for baits the trout are a little finicky there one day they like power bait and one day they like a power egg/worm combo so I would bring an assortment of power baits to see what they like that day. Hope this helps and good luck.
Flip

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:37 pm
pinoyfisherman

Hmmm alright I have an assortment of colors, thanks for the advice guys!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:57 am
capt.raysharking

Garlic rainbow powerbait and I always throw a kastmaster with the second rod..
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:41 am
bigunindaboat

capt.raysharking wrote:
Garlic rainbow powerbait and I always throw a kastmaster with the second rod..

Atta boy!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:54 am
drudown

^ What Dom and Nick said has worked for me as well. The only other thing is try using different lengthed leaders on the carolina to see where on the water column they are biting most aggressively. If you guys got bikes, the backside of the lake is good. Good luck and have fun guys.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:01 am
ungo101

Hey Pinoyfisherman! I went out there about 2 weeks ago with my littler girl! fished on the row side about the third garbage can down! bait was rainbow power bait only. We caught total of 4 but it was her first of 2013 and very BIG smile on her face!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:18 am
pinoyfisherman

ungo101 wrote:
Hey Pinoyfisherman! I went out there about 2 weeks ago with my littler girl! fished on the row side about the third garbage can down! bait was rainbow power bait only. We caught total of 4 but it was her first of 2013 and very BIG smile on her face!

Ahhh good job! Looks like ya got 3 Mt.Lassens, I love the meat on them...I wasn't able to take my cousins out, they miraculously got sick that day Sad so my dad and I went out to temescal and got skunked....if anyone wants to go hit up lake temescal or quarry lakes just PM me! Smile
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:31 pm
The Pond King

I used fish this lake a lot when I first started fishing at 12 years old - I'm now 23. I would spend days on end there back then. Now, fish it once it a great while. I think most would agree that this lake does not provide spectacular fishing, though it's nice to have around as a local lake. Only a five minute drive from my house. I used to fish left and right of the swim beach (kiosk cove) and fisherman's row. Everyone already mentioned good advice, so I don't think I can offer much, but I've done best with powerbait or powereggs there and not so much on lures. Lures don't work so well there at least in my experience. My favorite colors were rainbow and chartreuse on a #16 treble for powerbait and #8 mosquito owner hook for power eggs with a 1-3 foot leader most of the time. One time the usual 1-3 foot leaders were not producing, so I tied on a 6-7 leader and caught fish.

I don't fish for trout there any longer. I'd rather go to Lake Chabot because I think the fishing is better and it has MUCH better scenery. I also do well on kastmasters at Chabot. In the summer time however, when they plant catfish.. it's pretty good fishing. I limit out there often for cats and even if I don't, getting skunked is rare. I fish the back side for the cats.

Here's an old thread that has a ton of good information about Quarry Lakes: http://www.pierfishing.com/msgboard/viewtopic.php?t=415&highlight=quarry+lakes
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: