pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> Not really a reel advice question... [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:13 am
ronin

I was watching Monster Fish on tv a few days ago and they were using Canyon reels. The question isn't about the Canyon, but I noticed when these guys caught something out on their boat, they left the clicker on. I think it's the clicker, it just screams. Is this normal now? I thought you weren't suppose to do that or it'll mess something up. These guy were fishing for big stripers...trying to hit the 50+lbs.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:55 pm
mav

Haven't seen the show.. Yet...

You're not supposed to leave the clicker on but I think they do it for TV sound effects... I've seen it on other shows... Some reels with double dogs can be loud too... I have a Shimano Tyrnos 8II and that thing is just LOUD for a little reel.... Waaaa Waaa Waaaa, like a crying baby... I put a little axle grease on the dogs and it helped quiet it down...

As you mentioned, leaving the clicker on can damage it... I've seen people who swore that the clicker is some sort of cast control, with their 10' casts.... LOL After hearing the third cast, it gets old fast....
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:16 pm
tackleholic

I agree with mav...its a tv excitement thing...they even did it on an episode of wicked tuna. The only thing the clicker is really useful for is to keep your reel from backlashing while rigging and to let you know if a fish has grabbed your bait if fishing bait in freespool or to let you know if you have a jigstrike in the troll. Reminds me of those fishing tv shows with creative editing. A guy hooks up something big like a shark or marlin. Then they show the guy fighting the fish on a 50 wide gold penn. then they cut to another angle supposedly on the same fish and the person is fighting the fish with a 9/0 on a different rod. I also agree, those tyrnos are loud and kind of annoying...they sound like a coffee grinder, but they are pretty sweet reels for not a lot of money. I have a 12 2-speed...whats nice about them is the low gear is really low, like 2:1, which i think will come in handy if you hook something really big. Im going to have to try that grease on the dog trick...good tip.
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: