pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> Penn 320GT2 for crabbing? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:41 pm
markdogg

So my dad got me a new reel for xmas but I wanted to get your advice out there and get some opinions on my reel.

I do a lot of surf fishing but only for crab. Mayyybee thinking about salmon fishing in the summertime, but I'm a real fish newbie.

Anyways, I'm currently using a cheapo spinning reel, but got the Penn 320GT2 conventional reel as a gift.

I know there's an adjustment period going from spinners to conventionals, but do you think this a good reel for my purposes?

I wanted a conventional because of the casting distance from the surf, but also wanted a Levelwind because I'm really getting started on these..

Thanks and happy new years!
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:01 pm
muttfishr

If your looking for distance in the surf stay with a spinning reel, that penn 320 is an exellent choice for an all-round rig (with the proper rod) I suggest a 270 calstar 7 or 8 feet, you know, a lite tip and plenty of backbone in the butt, or like a 15/40lb tiger rod in 7ft will handle ALL your salmon/striper/halibut/sturgen/rockfish Boat fishing. The GTI320 ain't a GREAT caster, (with the levelwind and all) but as a boat or pier rig its very suitable. The reason I wouldn't recomend it for crabbin or something as grulling as that, is, in the gear train the Idler gear is plastic, (and thats a GOOD thing) Because when push comes to shove, something has to give! and if you get your finger caught inbetween the frame and the levelwind while your hooked on the bottom it just may save your finger from being "popped" off! I have a 320, have rebuild it once "major" and once "minor" maintainance, (they do require a bit TLC) But I love it like one of my kids! Just remember to back-off the drag after every use and it should last forever, or until I need to rebuild it for ya!...mutt.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:55 pm
markdogg

Thanks Mutt!

I've decided to pass on the 320. Sounds like a good reel, but really not made for my purposes. I just want a real good crab reel, tough, hearty, and casts farther than anything.

Perhaps I should look into rods that might be better than my 15ft Okuma..

thanks again
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:51 pm
Sofa King

I have a Penn Fierce. great crabbin reel. Also have been using a Big Penn 940 spinfisher. both cast great and are very durable. I also have a couple of Daiwa reels and as good as they are they aren't as good as the Penns.
I also have a 15ft surf rod... Almost too much for crabbing.
12ft works best in my experience.

Early to bed, Early to rise, fish all day, make up lies
<*}}}}}}}}}><
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: