pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page 1, 2  Next
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> Versatile Conventional Reels [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:17 am
IRPescador

With all this sturgeon, leos, and rays talk, I got very interested in buying a new reel. I would like to ask the PFIC community for their opinion on a very versatile conventional reel.

I want a reel that I can use from shore, so it needs to cast well, be strong enough for large rays/sturgeon, have enough line capacity (300+yrds 65-80# braided), being able to find replacement parts would be ideal, levelwind would be very helpfull, probably stardrag since it's more affordable...and all for under $200...is that even possible?? Smile

Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:04 pm
sharkfishing_805

You can look at the Penn320 Gt2 it has a levelwind, but for casting from the shore a Daiwa sealine X40 or a penn jigmaster but those dont have levelwinds. Also Avet Reels ae great but more expensive.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:29 am
IRPescador

I narrowed it down to this popular reels (any feed back on these reels would be greatly appreciated!)

Daiwa
STTLW40HA Saltist™ Levelwind Reels
M 4CRBB, 1RB 6.4 : 1 47.2′ 23.1 25/400, 30/270, 40/240 BRAID: 40/660, 50/490 20#

SGT40H Seagate™ Star Drag
M 3CRBB, 1RB 6.4:1 48.0′ 21.3 25/400, 30/270, 40/240 BRAID: 40/660, 50/490 19.8

STTBG40H Saltist® Black Gold Star Drag
M 4 CRBB, 1 RB 6.4:1 48.0 22.0 25/400, 30/270, 40/240 Braid: 40/660, 50/490 19.8

Penn

FTH40LW Fathom Level Wind
3+1 4.3:1 35(in) 24.3oz 390/30 • 330/40 • 240/50 825/50 • 675/65 • 575/80 30 lbs

FTH30 Fathom Star Drag
5+1 6.0:1 40(in) 18.4(oz) 440/20 • 300/30 • 250/40 625/50 • 500/65 • 440/80 25 lbs

Okuma

Cortez Star Drag- CZ-12CS
4BB + 1RB 6.2:1 18.4 43 540/20 (0.42), 400/25 (0.48, 300/30 (0.55) 18-lbs

Shimano

TOR30 Torium
3 BB/1 RB 46 6.2:1 23.3 25/420, 30/350 50/760,65/570,80/460 22 #

Thanks!! Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:20 pm
bigred805

Out of those reels I would choose the saltist with a levelwind but not the high speed model. Without levelwind I would go with Sealine®-X HA/SHA40. You basically have to decide if you want to cast further and level your line or just want to cast and crank. Either way I think you would appreciate the lower gear ratios once something big hits. Casting is really only an issue while shore fishing so if you see yourself hitting the sand mostly go with non levelwind otherwise that saltist is gonna whoop anything your gonna find just set your drag right. I like the Penn reels just wish their internals were better. They list the fathom at 30# of drag but the main gear would strip well before you ever reached that. The okuma has had problems with small diameter lines(braid) jamming between the spool and The frame so I would steer clear of it also. Realistically any one of them would do the job it mostly depends on your preference.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:31 pm
IRPescador

Thanks for the inside Bigred.
Do you have any feedback on the Torium?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:12 pm
bigred805

It's also a nice Reel that a lot of people swear by. I didn't pick it because of the gear ratio but other than that its just as good as the other reels. IDK why but for some reason I can't bring myself to the shimano products... It's like rooting for the Yankees or something haha.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:48 pm
tackleholic

I have both the sealine x40 and toriums 14 thru 30. I cant comment about the saltist but have heard guys swear by them as far as casting and power to land quality fish. I think the sealine casts better than t he torium, but when you have something of decent size on, i'd rather have a torium size 20 or 30 even though it has a 6:1 gear ratio. I' ve caught about 7-8 wahoo up to 40 lbs, tuna up to 40 lbs, and at least 30 yellowtail up to 28 lbs. on a torium...to me its more of a jig throwing reel than anything else because of the faster retrieve. Yet, even with the faster retrieve, you still get torque and it is easier reeling in good fish, i think because of the high efficiency gearing. I've never tricked any of mine out for casting, but if you have enough weight at the end, you ca get decent distance with some practice from a stock torium. You can often pick them up used for around 110 to 125.i picked up a couple new over the summer for 108. I wouldnt get a levelwind if casting is very important...i think they just get in the way...id just go with a narrower reel and fill it with braid and a topshot. Narrower reels are easier to cast than a wider reel. Recently picked up a trinidad 40n for boat trips...it has the same gear ratio as a sealine 40 but with the heg gearing and 2 dogs. Cant wait to tangle with something big with it.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:13 am
IRPescador

Thanks for your valuable input man!

I'm leaning towards the Daiwa line, seems like a better value.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:34 pm
RobF

Been using a diawa seagate 50h loaded with braid for shore rock fishing for 6 months or so, and it has performed perfectly. And I think it was only about $150 or so.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:30 am
johng

I think most of the reels you suggested would be good, but I have one suggestion, go down a size or two. With modern reels being so much stronger than they used to be, and braid being so thin we can use reels that just seemed tiny in the past. Take advantage of that.

I had, and then sold a Saltist 40 because it was just too big, it was never very fun to hold onto, specifically when keeping the rod tip high.

The new Penn Squall 25n is really worth taking a look at. I've never owned one, but the size and weight are right. Think small, you'll be happier in the long run.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:58 pm
muttfishr

I have to agree with john, these "new skool" reels are AWSOME! I have NO experience with them! Im an "old skool" kinda guy. This new age stuff is (by my standards) expensive, I shop the flea markets, swapmeets, ect. to find my gear. Example, I found an old crusty corroded penn jigmaster in a box of household odds-n-ends for 7$, when I got it home and took it apart, it was like brand new on the inside, the outside chrome is pitted down to the brass in places, BUT, I'll put it up against any other jigmaster for castability or any other funtion, its ONE sweet reel, then I skored a longbeach "60" for 13$ the other day, havn't fished it yet but im sure its gonna be fine, both those reels will handle just about anything on the west coast, but it takes alittle bit of expertise to use them to their potential, the newer reels are more user friendly in many ways so its all in what you like! Peace Bro!...mutt.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:30 pm
jcool

johng wrote:
I think most of the reels you suggested would be good, but I have one suggestion, go down a size or two. With modern reels being so much stronger than they used to be, and braid being so thin we can use reels that just seemed tiny in the past. Take advantage of that.

I had, and then sold a Saltist 40 because it was just too big, it was never very fun to hold onto, specifically when keeping the rod tip high.

The new Penn Squall 25n is really worth taking a look at. I've never owned one, but the size and weight are right. Think small, you'll be happier in the long run.

Funny, I had a saltist 40 and sold it for the same reason. I think when the saltist first came out, the smallest was the 40. I would go for a 30 or 35. The sealines (seagate a little cheaper with less bearings) are also great reels with 17lbs drag. Don't think you need sl-h or X-Ha unless you are throwing jigs.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:44 pm
SLOFishing

Penn GP 309m works great for me.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:18 pm
Sofa King

IRPescador wrote:

Love my Torium 14. It holds loads of line and eats big rays no problem. and does all the rest as well. just no level wind. that Torium 30, Way too big for shore casting. I have a pair of 20's and they are good boat reels, just too high speed for salmon trolling cannon balls, they are fast but low torque. get the 14 and you will love it.
I've broken so many Daiwa's I stay away from them. also the penn 320gt2 is a junky reel broken 3 in a row.

Early to bed, Early to rise, fish all day, make up lies
<*}}}}}}}}}><
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:22 pm
red fish

Sofa King wrote:
IRPescador wrote:

Love my Torium 14. It holds loads of line and eats big rays no problem. and does all the rest as well. just no level wind. that Torium 30, Way too big for shore casting. I have a pair of 20's and they are good boat reels, just too high speed for salmon trolling cannon balls, they are fast but low torque. get the 14 and you will love it.
I've broken so many Daiwa's I stay away from them. also the penn 320gt2 is a junky reel broken 3 in a row.

Okay, revisited: I don't know what IR Pescador finally went with or if he is still lurking about but?!

I fish those same species (from shore primarily) that he fishes.

A lot of good information in this thread, and, I go with what Hans said, so +1 on it.

The Torium is most likely for hi-speed jigging from boat, but can be used for all of the above, and I would get that in about a 20 and call it a day with it's 6 to 1. For instance, I have a 525 (Penn) with 6:1 and it casts far, jigs nicely, has plenty of HT-100 drag, and gets the fish in decently.

But, actually, I would give you two thumbs up on a discounted MXL-MC that could put you right around 200, get you about a 5:1, cast well with the MC, be able to do all duty including salmon troll.

I agree with Hans, and have experiences with the GTI Penns; you better have a bag of pawl replacements if you get a couple monsters on those things...the levelwind will burn out.

I picked up a TR2000 LD level-wind cheap, and, so far so good as far as level-winds go....

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 2  Page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: