pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Greyhound rock [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:05 pm
jormungaund

Just wondering if anyone if familiar with/has tried out the area. I tried once, got skunked, was thinking about trying it again some time, but didn't want to bother if it's not worth the drive. Anyone ever have any luck there?
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:07 pm
Ken Jones

It can be productive but if it's as windy down there as it is up here in the Delta you need to be very careful.
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:47 pm
raider73

We use to go there and catch a lot of perch. That hike back up after a day of fishing isn't the greatest thing to look forward to. Haven't been there in a while, however.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:23 pm
songslinger

zzz

Last edited by songslinger on Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:18 am
Sin_Coast

Just remember to bring bait. It is now a Reserve and only allows take of finfish by hook-and-line from shore-based anglers.
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/ccmpas_list.asp#greyhound

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:21 pm
salty nick

I've had some good days there, especially with lings - but the fishing can be good or bad depending on the day. If you don't mind heights and climbing rocks, fishing off the big rock can sometimes be worth the climb. Better to access the rock when the tides are 2ft. or lower, otherwise you might have to tread water. If the swells are above 7ft., I wouldn't fish off the rock - occasional sneaker waves/sets can pummel the rock and wash up and over the cliff, making it very wet and slippery.

I've caught greenlings, small cabbies, lings, striped perch and a few rockfish fishing off the big rock. The few times I fished from shore, I mostly caught greenlings and perch. Frozen anchovies, squid or shrimp usually get some attention.

The hike down to the beach is easy, back up is another story - but if you've been there, I'm sure you already know. Good luck.

Salty.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 12:00 am
jormungaund

any tips on which side of the rock to fish? I was fishing the south side mostly, nothin' but snags as far as i could tell.... although i did loose a poll i hadn't secured firmly enough, and my friend who saw it go in the drink claimed that it literally "jumped" in, so it might have gotten pulled in by a big ling... then again it might have just gotten jerked in by a stray wave.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 12:00 pm
salty nick

I like the south side, but I'll go the the end of the ledge and cast straight out from the rock (west).

Salty.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:22 am
frozendog

If you get the chance to go - go! It's good to try something new on your own. Go Fish!
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: