Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Bezerkeley Pier - 5/17 and 5/18/08 [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:20 am
jgy

3 of us were out on 5/17 and 5/18. Here's how it went:

*5/17*
Got there around 6 AM to get in line for some live chvoies. On the way down the pier, I noticed about 2/3 of the chovies are dead, so I stop and just set-up shop about 9 lights down and try to recover the remaining fish.

Anyway, we stayed until 3 PM. I caught an 18" butt around 7:30 (Carolina rig) and threw it back. My cousin caught a 30" striper (sliding sinker rig) around 10. We didn't get any more actioin and I didn't see much action around us either.

*5/18*
Got to the bait guy at 6 AM again. Got to the second light pole on the pier and setup shop. This time, I kept ALL chovies alive with my tropical fish-keeping technique.
Anyway, we stayed til 4 PM. My cousin loses a big ray as well as a nice hali (both sliding sinker rigged). Other than that, the wind just killed the day and I didn't see much action around us.

Next time, I'll try out the very end of the pier.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:37 am
stripesidechaser

I was out there the 17th with Redfish, Mel and Hiking Jay. Those chovies were the worst I've ever seen. We ended up getting three scoops (each scoop in separate 60 qt coolers) just to have enough bait to fish the day. While there we saw the bait boat come in, so you were on a fresh batch of anchovies on Sunday (not saying that your special technique didn't help).
Friday was the slowest day I've seen out there, and all four of us were skunked.
Fooling around with a cast net did yield a lot of nice sized jack smelt, shiner perch, anchovies and one small sardine.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:10 pm
mel

Uh, in all fairness, I wasn't skunked. I did manage to catch a big ray, probably pushing 60 to 70 pounds on my halibut set up. Helluva fight on a 7 foot Uglystick and a Shimano Corvalus 400. The thing wasted no time peeling off 150 yards of 50 pound braid and about another 75 to 100 yards of 17 pound Pline. Almost got spooled. I somehow managed to bring it in only to find it was foul hooked on the wing. Oh wait, that's not a catch... Ok, yeah, I was skunked too. (sigh)
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:39 am
stripesidechaser

mel wrote:
Uh, in all fairness, I wasn't skunked. I did manage to catch a big ray, probably pushing 60 to 70 pounds on my halibut set up. Helluva fight on a 7 foot Uglystick and a Shimano Corvalus 400. The thing wasted no time peeling off 150 yards of 50 pound braid and about another 75 to 100 yards of 17 pound Pline. Almost got spooled. I somehow managed to bring it in only to find it was foul hooked on the wing. Oh wait, that's not a catch... Ok, yeah, I was skunked too. (sigh)

Sorry Mel, I forgot that some people call a skunk different than myself. For me a skunk means that I didn't catch a legal example of the species I was targetting. Since we were fishing for halipers, I considered it a skunk.
That really was a crazy fight on that bat ray.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:23 pm
mel

Yeah, it was a fun fight. And that's what I was targetting. ; )
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: