pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> Help with Daiwa 1600X [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:24 am
sweiss1964

Gents,

I purchased this reel about 6 months ago as a way of learning to repair and maintain a reel. I've got two problems that I'd like to ask advice on:

1) The spool will no longer remain seated due to a bent spool metal leaf spring (see top left on picture). Someone at a tackle shop was able to force this back on, but I can't get the spool to stay seated. I'm thinking of trying to track down a replacement part, unless there are any better suggestions.

2) The bail will no longer fully close unless I do it manually. At best, the bail will just stand up straight half way between the sides of the spool. I've attached a picture of the bail kick mechanisms in case that helps.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm enjoying trying to work on this reel, and if it is unsalvageable, it wouldn't be the end of the world for me.

Thanks,

Steven
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:20 pm
mav

I used to have, I think, the smaller version of this reel (don't remember the spool looking so big, maybe optical illusion) but I've already handed it down...

I'm not sure about the spool because I don't have a grasp on the whole situation on how it works... I'm guessing the spool is a push button release and the leaf spring holds the spool in place...? I suggest playing around with that metal spool insert sleeve and trying to figure out how it works.. Maybe, if you are REALLY careful, you can figure out how to give the leaf spring it's proper shape back.. Those springs are easy to crack though so don't do anything crazy..

As for the bail, are the bail springs in good working condition or tensioned in their proper locations...?
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:39 pm
sweiss1964

Thanks for the advice. I'll play with the push button release on the spool--I'm not sure how that engages the leaf spring. Below is a picture of the ball kick cam spring--it seems that this is on correctly. I didn't check the other side (bail spring)--I'll take a look tonight.

steven
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:51 pm
mav

If it can kick the bail half way closed, then it may be working fine... I've had reels with bad bail springs and they only can kick the bail half way closed, similar if not the same as what you mentioned... If all else fails, and everything seems to be in working order, try cleaning out the old grease an on the bail mechanism and re-grease and lube... The grease may be too old or is holding dirt and sand...
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:50 am
sweiss1964

OK, found the culprit. A broken bail spring. Opened up the other side and saw that the bail spring was just sitting there attached to nothing. Took it out, and I can see the clean break. So, would any shop have a bail spring to replace this? Or do I need to order the part myself?

Steven
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:05 am
mav

If it's a part that Daiwa still uses consistently, then the tackle/repair shop might have it.. If they don't they might be able to order it for you..

If all else fails, the link below might have your part.. Shipping would cost more than the actual part though, so most people who order parts online make a list of parts that they need and order all at once to make the shipping cost worth it...

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:31 pm
sweiss1964

Mav,

Thanks so much for all the advice--I just ordered a number of parts from Mike's, since as you say, shipping is pricy.

I'm still not able to get the spool to seat on the rotor, but I'll keep trying. Any workarounds for this?

steven
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:22 pm
mav

No problem.... I was looking at the exploded parts diagram for your reel but I still can't figure out what's going on with your spool mechanism. Are there any inside debris keeping the metal spool sleeve from seating properly?

http://www.mikesreelrepair.com/schematics/albums/daiwa/Daiwa_1600X.pdf
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:19 pm
sweiss1964

The spool looks pretty clean. I'm not sure if I'm putting the metal leaf spring back correctly--I'm not even sure of how it's supposed to engage. I've been playing with the button of the top of the spool metal, but I don't really see what it's doing.

Here's a link to some pics of this:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/a4fbxym8xzczeo6/zamFR_aSGK

I'd love to figure out a temporary solution to this, as I'm going to take my boy up to Lake Sonoma this weekend.

steven
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:29 pm
mav

From the looks of your pics. I'm getting the strong feeling that the leaf spring is what is supposed to hold the spool in place. The leaf spring may somehow protrude into the groove cut into the main shaft and the button on top is suppose to release that tension from the leaf spring to remove the spool... Yea that's a hard one especially if your not sure what the leaf spring is supposed to originally look like... I don't know it's supposed to be shaped like a weird "W" or what... OR it could be shaped like a "C" with the round edge flattened out... I don't know why the exploded view shows two leaf springs...

There MAY be a temporary solution but the button won't work to release the spool.. You can try wrapping and tying some thin fishing line around the groove with the main shaft inserted... If you can find some thin stiff wire, that may work also by twisting the ends and pushing the twisted end into the groove.. Then you can screw your spool and drag washers onto the top....
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:13 am
sweiss1964

Got it! I reworked the leaf spring into a half "w", and then stuck it back in and viola! The spool is holding--don't know if it'll actually hold under pressure, but it should be good enough for taking out this weekend.

Once the leaf spring part comes in, I'll replace the broken one, add in the new bail spring, and she'll be as good as new!

Thanks again Mav. If you ever need to borrow an old Daiwa reel....
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:45 pm
mav

Glad you got it temporarily working.. Good luck on your trip...

I actually keep an old Daiwa around, older than yours... It's a HUGE blue deep sea fishing reel, loud and annoying... LOL I do take it out pier fishing sometimes just for kicks.. I get a good laugh when people give me these weird looks while I catch fish on the huge thing...
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: