pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> Recommendations...Anything Helpful is really appreciated... [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:09 pm
swampz707

Pierfishing folks!!! I'm looking for a reel for my cousin to fish with during the remainder dayz of the Salmon season..I was wondering if anyone here has any good feedback of the Okuma Avenger reels?? I'm thinking on getting him one that's able to spool up to 15lb mono @ least 150yards...nothing to pricey for he doesn't really take care of his stuff, just something decent enough to get through the season...I've been out the loop with gear for as I have always used the same set-up for the past 3 Salmon seasons...Any suggestions is open and is really appreciated!! my price range is no more than 40bucks..as for his rod, i believe he is using a 7ft Diawa spinning rod..Thanks again in advance everyone!!

P.S if anyone here has an old medium/heavy or medium/fast action rod that's suitable for Salmon and is Living in the Vallejo area to Sacramento area, pls let me know..if the price is reasonable i will be very interested..
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:34 pm
3david56

Get him an ugly stick from walmart very durable just respool it with better line. I've landed smalls sharks and bat rays all day on mine. Although I have upgraded now being a BP pier rat and all. For salmon unless he hooks a beast an ugly stick will be sufficant.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:54 pm
mav

I've never fished an Okuma but I hear good things about their spinning reels...

Is it the Avenger reel with the "bait feeder" option...? That's a nice feature to have when fishing live bait... No messing with the bail where things can get tangled with thicker line...
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:33 am
illcatchanything2

Avengers are good reels. I have 2 that I only use for crab snaring (when fishing I use conventional's), and they have held up for 2 season of hard use. As anyone who snares can tell you, it is hard on reels. They are the best spinners out there (for the price anyway) in my opinion...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:24 am
swampz707

Thanx yall!! think for this yr's opener for Dungee season, imma give the Avenger reel a shot on a 7ft Whuppin stik from Cabelas...
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:32 am
pinfish

Small avenger for salmon and large avenger for snaring, trust me
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:32 am
Sofa King

swampz707 wrote:
Thanx yall!! think for this yr's opener for Dungee season, imma give the Avenger reel a shot on a 7ft Whuppin stik from Cabelas...

If you are planning on snaring in the surf...
...you are going to want a much longer rod.
10-12ft.

Early to bed, Early to rise, fish all day, make up lies
<*}}}}}}}}}><
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:01 am
Sin_Coast

I picked an 8'6" Shimano Convergence for like $25 from Cabelas a few months ago. I'd trust it throwing spoons/spinners for salmon. Currently use it for heavy surfperchin and light tackle stripers in the surf. No corrosion yet, surprisingly.
I know a guy who broke an Avenger but the price is tempting. I'm still using an Okuma Epixor that I bought 4yrs ago...for 60 bucks it's a good deal.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:33 am
swampz707

My bad i'm responding late but thanks for the help!!
Sin_Coast wrote:
I picked an 8'6" Shimano Convergence for like $25 from Cabelas a few months ago. I'd trust it throwing spoons/spinners for salmon. Currently use it for heavy surfperchin and light tackle stripers in the surf. No corrosion yet, surprisingly.
I know a guy who broke an Avenger but the price is tempting. I'm still using an Okuma Epixor that I bought 4yrs ago...for 60 bucks it's a good deal.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: