pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> penn 330GTI [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:17 am
bigred805

What's up tackle junkies... I have come into a few of the older american made penn gti reels from the 310 through 330. I'm gonna be using the 330 because it felt reasonably good considering it had been sitting close to 10 years. Ill be using it on the pier for sharay on an ugly stik tiger. Was just wondering if anyone is still using any of these reels and how they like them? I know the main problem with them is the weak brass gear they have that keeps them from really being able to use their max drag without stripping the gear. So I was thinking I would just run it around 7-8 pounds of drag and go for a higher line capacity to keep from getting spooled by a big ray (I hope) or stripping the gear. I already gave the reel the alan tani treatment and it feels brand new was just wondering if anyone has experience with them on big rays and if it will hold up. Thanks for any input!
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:57 pm
red fish

Big Red:

I have used the 310 in the past and really liked it for a big levelwind. I used it for sturgeon and general pierfishing. Never got any sturgeon over 50" on it but many guides use them for sturgeon fishing for keeper-size from what I have read utilizing 50# braid. Others I know like them for salmon fishing. What happened to me was that I got a few good batrays at Berkely Pier, the pawl mechanism broke two times, and I finally gave up on the reel and use my jigmasters, squidders, GS series Penns. So, I like the reel..but I would stay away from batray fishing with it...unless you want to be continually replacing the levelwind.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:44 pm
sharkfishing_805

i have a penn 330gt2, idk the diffrence between the Gti and the Gt2, but mine handles sharays pretty damm good, excellent to say
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: