pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
>> Herring Recipes, 2012 [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:45 pm
MsCMSchultz

Location: BUIDB: "Thats a great shot of a pier from the beach."

First of all, who knew that there are so many Youtube videos of eating pickled herring in Sweden and Holland? It's true.

Secondly, no pics cuz my pics are yucky anyway.

Thirdly, I will provide credits when possible.

Fourthly, after trimming the first 100 fish, I resorted to just "Cut and Gut," i.e., cut off the heads with good shears and yank out the guts--no clipping of any fins, no scaling (unless eating immediately), no fileting, just leave the fish whole; went much faster. So the following recipes assume beheaded, gutted and whole fish. Fish have fins. Period.

So here are some ideas for your herring:

Roast Herring

Lightly oil a cookie sheet. Lay your fish on the oiled cookie sheet and roast in oven at 400 for 10 minutes. Serve with lemon wedges. This cooks up fine in a toaster oven. (from my husband's daughter, Laura)

If you want to go a little fancier, do what my friend Cassie does: put in baking dish, lightly drizzle olive oil over the herring, sprinkle chopped garlic over them, snipped fresh parsley, salt and pepper them and bake at 350 for 15 minutes.

Cold, Spiced Herring with Carrots and Onions

2TBLSPNS butter
6 carrots, dice 4 of them and slice 2 of them very thinly
3 onions--dice 2 and thinly slice 1 into rings
1 clove garlic, minced
3 TBLSPNS snipped parsley
1 bay leaf
water
2 sprigs thyme or 1/4 tspn dried
2 whole cloves
12 small or 6 large herring
1/2 cup white vinegar
2 TBLSPNS olive oil

Saute the diced carrots, diced onion, garlic, parsley and bay leaf in the butter. Add just enough water to cover the veggies. Add the spices, bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer until veggies are tender (about 10 minutes).

Preheat oven to 350. Put the vegetable mixture into a flat casserole, lay the fish over the melange, and cover the fish with the carrot slices and onion rings. Pour the vinegar over everything, cover and bake 20 minutes.

Allow to cool, chill, and sprinkle olive oil over the cold dish at the table.

(I just dice all the veggies, use oil for sauteeing, eat it warm and I skip the final drizzle of olive oil.)

From "The Fish-Lovers' Cookbook" by Sheryl and Mel London, 1980. When you see it at a garage sale/Goodwill, buy it. Sooooo '80's, BUT has some great ideas to handle your fresh catch.

Pickled Herring

Last year's pickled herring turned mushy pretty quickly; subsequently, I connected to an internet site that adamantly advised to brine the herring cuz the salt does something to the protein. I can't find the website, otherwise I would provide the link here.

Also, all those videos of eating pickled herring where it is sold as a street food shows whole herring, with the tail intact.

This is what I did this year:

(For all stages of prep, the liquids used and the herring should be the same temperature, i.e., cold from fridge and cookware should be stainless steel, NOT aluminum.)

Brine the whole (or cut crosswise in chunks) herring for 8-12 hours in a brine of 1/2 cup noniodized salt dissolved in one quart of water.

Drain the fish, rinse, and soak in cold water in fridge for 4-6 hours, changing the water whenever you think of it.

For the pickling solution:

Combine 1 and 3/4 cup vinegar with 2/3 cup sugar in a saucepan and bring just to a boil, stirring rather frequently. When it just arrives at the boil, keep at a low simmer until sugar dissolves. Allow to cool and then chill.

Thinly slice 1-3 onions, gather up ground cloves, allspice, bay leaves, dill, peppercorns and/or bay leaves. (of course, seasonings should be chosen based on personal preference--I like all of them. The bay leaf looks kinda pretty when placed in the jar.)

After fish has soaked in fresh water, remove and rinse.

Start with a layer of onion in the jar, a layer of herring, sprinkle in your selection of seasonings, and repeat layers and seasonings to suit until your jar is full. Pour in your marinade, making sure that all fish is covered. If there are floaters, fill a small ziploc baggie with water, and place on the top layer as a weight.

Let sit in fridge for about 2 days. This will keep for several weeks.

Eat as an hors d'oevre, or as a sandwich on pumpernickel with cream cheese, thinly sliced cucumber and/or radish (I make this sandwich as a double decker--bread, fish, bread, cream cheese, vegetable, bread).

Some of the websites/videos show the herring served with diced onions and dill pickle--so for a complete experience, I am going to run out and buy some Claussen dills--then I get to use that pickle juice for the herring--which I liked as well.

Smoked Herring

I think I posted a recipe last year--and there are no changes to it.

Herring Roe

I tried the roe fried--meh. Next year I will try the milt fried.

I finally took a PFICer's advice and brined the sacs of roe in 1 quart water and 1/2 cup salt overnight, then rinsed. I nibbled at a bit and it was much better.

Then I seasoned it with soy sauce, a bit of sugar and lemon juice. I put them over a bowl of rice with shredded nori, Japanese style fish cake (the ones that are dyed pink) and some of the pickled herring, a soft boiled egg and greens. That was good.

If Sea Woman smiles on me again next year, I am going to try other methods of prep for the roe and the milt.

Artist, GretchDragon
TY, Gretch!
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: