pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> shore fishing in south lake tahoe ? added report :) [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 10:27 am
jph

we may go to south lake taho this weekend, and (ofcourse) i'd like to do some fishing there (and hopefully some catching too)

i've only been there once before, and am not familiar at all with that area.

last year, i fished for a few hours near the mouth of emerald bay, and only caught one small (5") trout, using a piece of nightcrawler.

can someone give me some pointers of places and techniques i can try this time ? or point me to some online resource that has some good info ? most things that i can find are all about fishing off a boat overthere. or shouldn't i expect too much fishing from shore ?

thanks,
J.

Last edited by jph on Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:42 am
red fish

I most likely know the least about fishing spots in that area. The last time I went there was when I was (10) with my parents and brother Martin and had to settle for the consolation of fishing in Tahoe Trout Farm (hey, it worked at 10). Before going to the trout farm on the day we were leaving Tahoe, I did search first the bank along the harbor looking for a spot I could access for fishing among all the boats moored there. I went into a sportfishing center/charter rental and saw the pictures of big Mackinaw but it was a little too pricey for the wallet of a 10-year-old.

Predator aka Stinkyfingers aka Chen knows plenty about fishing Tahoe shoreline if he is still lurking about. Actually, you could probably do a search on the main board with words like: "Tahoe" AND "trout" AND "stinkyfingers."

There are also other trout experts on the board like: i.e., 2D.

I am under the impression that you have to hike somewhere to catch trout off the bank but maybe NOT?

Predator just gave Monte aka Eelmaster some Tahoe info about some trout near a bridge or something just last week on the Off-Topic Board. I believe it was South Lake????

Good Luck.

Last edited by red fish on Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:59 am; edited 5 times in total
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:55 am
rock hopper

Yup, it was.

We fished the Tahoe Keys right in back of the house we rented for Monte's Bachelor Party. Monte landed two small largemouth (on worms under a float) the first day, and three catfish (~5") on worms, and five or six bluegills on pizza crust fished under a float the second day.

Yup. Pizza crust.

We could see all these fish in the clear water just off of the deck. We both fished the first day but the fish would swim up to the worms and turn away. The second day we had some hangover pizza left in the kitchen. I started tearing off small bits and chucking it in the water. The fish were tearing it up so Monte threw some on a hook and started nailing them. I think he caught 'em all, though, 'cause on the last day they weren't falling for anything.

Oh yeah, Monte also caught a Canadian Goose the first day.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:22 pm
jph

well... saturday me and my brother-in-law's co-worker set up our rods on the beach across the street from the camp site.

water was clear, but shallow. we coul'd get out far enough. after about an hour or so we called it quits for that day. time to fire up the BBQ.

during the afternoon, i went to the local bait shop and asked them were i could catch some fish. they pointed me to echo lake.

sunday around 11am or so, we fished from the shore at echo lake. lots of other people fishing from shore/boat/float. my fishing buddy for the weekend the other guy got the fist fish. a smallish rainbow trout.

5 minutes later i got a bite, but it didn't get hooked
then i lost some tacke due to a few snags, and finally i hooked up to a nice sized rainbow. which i kept for dinner.

had one more bite, but again, didn't hook it.

we used powerbait, no pizza crust Wink
i used a sliding rig setup, with a ~20" 5# leader so the bait would float off the bottom. the other guy used a high/low type setup.

J.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:26 pm
red fish

Big WTG Smile
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: