pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
>> Abu 6500, anti reverse problem [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:11 pm
XengineSlug

Found my old abu 6500 c3,number under the reel on the reel seat 990202, took it out worked great after a little grease application, only problem, is that it now has lost it's anti reverse ability, seems to catch only every reverse turn or three. Any suggestions as to where I can get the part, because this is one of the older versions, I think, has got to be at least ten years old, maybe more because I remember my dad using it when we used to fish for perch.

Great casting reel, will add the carbon drag also, if it makes sense for me to spend the money on the anti-reverse part

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:49 pm
XengineSlug

Would it make sense to add new bearings?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:28 pm
riorust

You might want to check the schematic and make sure you re-assembled it correctly. (I'm assuming the anti reverse worked correctly prior to disassembly). The anti reverse dog is going to be $4-6.00, the drags, maybe $8.00 and bearings will run about $9.00 (for OEM) to about $20.00 for ceramic.

Here is a link for ABU schematics; http://www.reeldr.com/SCHEMATICS/ABU/index.html

You could just send it to Alan Tani and get a wonder reel back!

I would fix it, but that may be just me.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:23 am
gyt

Take it apart and put it back together again. Cleaned an lubed of course. Fixes most problems with reels.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:26 pm
XengineSlug

Well, I took the reel apart as detailed in the reel repair section of this site, and low and behold the anti-reverse dog was a little rusty/oxidized at the base, sanded the base down, added some oil Xtreme reel+, to be exact, and bent the part of the dog that basically moves the dog into place via friction upwards as to increase friction, it works!!!

So now that I fixed this problem, time to add the super drag, and ceramic bearings, o'yeah.

PFIC Message Boards >> Rod and Reel Advice/Seminars Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: