pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> Advice for overnighters [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:38 am
EgoNonBaptizo

I am going on my first overnighter out of Channel Islands Sportfishing. Any advice on etiquette and/or fishing tips?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:53 pm
makairaa

Which boat? Right now most of the boats are anchoring up at night and fishing the gray light bite for yellows, seabass, and halibut then moving off the island a little to fish rockfish. I would suggest something in the 25 to 40 lb range with a dropper loop and a 3 to 8 oz torpedo depending on current. Match the hook to the bait size. For rockfish that is up to you on how you like to fish them. I go to the bow of the boat and fish butterfly jigs on 20 lb and jax jigs on 30 lb usually.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:54 pm
makairaa

If you are going this weekend be prepared for the weather to be up a bit.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:52 pm
tackleholic

I'd bring 1 or 2 heavier weights like 12 & 16 oz in case the current is ripping. Last time I fished Santa Rosa, lost a lot of lead. If you have any froze market shrimp, bring it if you want to target sheephead. If you have any 7" Big Hammers in browns and/or red colors on heavy 6-8 oz jigheads, I'd say bring those too...but I wouldn't say go out and buy some if you don't have them. Same goes for Ahi Assault diamond Jigs and Shimano Lucans or similar type jigs, and I always like bringing flatfalls or flatfall knockoffs in various colors. They work for bottom species, they work for yellowtail, they work for tuna, even caught halibut bouncing them off the bottom.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:21 pm
calaznfisher

EgoNonBaptizo wrote:
I am going on my first overnighter out of Channel Islands Sportfishing. Any advice on etiquette and/or fishing tips?

Overnighter to San Clemente Island: https://obsessiveangling.wordpress.com/2014/04/20/san-clemente-island-on-the-toronado/

Overnighter to San Miguel Island: https://obsessiveangling.wordpress.com/2013/12/15/lingasaurs-in-socal/

1.5 day Tuna Trip: https://obsessiveangling.wordpress.com/2012/10/12/socal-offshore-call-of-the-blue/

Etiquette is pretty straightforward, be respectful of the people around you, and be patient when things get hairy. Many of the regulars and deckhands are abundant in knowledge, so spend some time to get to know them and it will repay you endlessly.

Be prepared and have the right gear, or an assortment of gear to deal with a variety of situations. Timing is critical, when there is a school of fish near the boat, or when they are biting, you may not get a second shot - make it count with a good bait, good knots, and your gear set up properly.

Know your quarry. Call the boat ahead of time to check what the target species is, and what their recommendation for tackle is. If they are being ambiguous (and they often are, if there is not obvious hot bite), then prepare for as many situations as possible. My favorite all around setup is an 8 foot 15-40 lb setup, with a Trinidad 14A sized reel, 50 lb braid. This setup is very versatile, and will work for light irons, rockfish, small to medium pelagics, and just about anything else. If you have the capability, you should also have a heavier and lighter setup, but that's optional... I generally bring a few setups to account for possible gear failure, and to save time for retying if I have a break off or have to cut out of a tangle.

Feel free to email me if you have any further questions.

Visit my blog to see what new species of fish I've encountered in my travels across the world:
https://obsessiveangling.wordpress.com/
Top of page
PostPosted: Yesterday at 3:29 am
JayAarons

Thank you very much! These are great recommendations!
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: