Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page 1, 2  Next
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
>> Santa Rosa Island info/trip In the Works. [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:57 pm
Redkorn

Santa Rosa Island Trip in the works

Set for sometime this year. This land is lightly fished from boat let alone from shore and thats an understatement.

Yellowtail,rockfish,inshore fish and lobsters can be found here the only trick is how does a pier rat get to this magical place?

Well the trick is to jump on Island Packers boat trips and fish for a few days.

The pier itself is massive compared to other channel lisand piers or most piers in California. Looking at google maps one can see the deep waters filled with kelp along with nice lanes to cast out to. Since no one fishes from this pier you might just end up being the only person to fished it all year long!.

That is why hell or high water I will go to this place. I dont care if I gotta take a train or carpool with someone it will happen.

Just a few road blocks in my way. One MLPA areas, Fishing regs for the island.

Also Not sure if it still on going but there was a report that they were updating the pier.

There are also few other piers in the other islands.

This or these trips will need light packing. Larg backpack and break down rod. Food + drinks and a cooler. And some how get that all down smaller.

I cant wait to see where all this goes this year. Time to move out from boring piers and see what California has to offer.

Maybe later this year when lobster fishing kicks off hooping at these piers will be more productive.

I'll keep everyone updated on what information I find.

http://countdownimages.org/cdwn/1_1e0_ff3333.png
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:41 pm
muttfishr

Wow, that place looks like paradice!I hope you get to fish it, it would probably be cheaper to get on a party boat and fish around the Island, wait, I know, get on a party boat and when you get close to shore,,,JUMP! I'll throw your gear over for ya, It might be a while before they'll be able to get you picked up, but hey, you can live off of all those awsome fish you'll be catching...mutt.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:50 pm
Redkorn

muttfishr wrote:
Wow, that place looks like paradice!I hope you get to fish it, it would probably be cheaper to get on a party boat and fish around the Island, wait, I know, get on a party boat and when you get close to shore,,,JUMP! I'll throw your gear over for ya, It might be a while before they'll be able to get you picked up, but hey, you can live off of all those awsome fish you'll be catching...mutt.

Thier trips go for about 100 bucks so its cheaper than a party boat to the island. Its just a choir to find anything information regarding regs and zones.

Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:13 am
muttfishr

Izz gezz messin wit cha bro, hope you get'er all figgered out and do it, Id love to see a report!!!...mutt.
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:13 am
odogfish

Redkorn wrote:
Its just a choir to find anything information regarding regs and zones.

... I googled CI and tons of info came up , saw that three of the islands do not allow fishing and most do allow camping but only experienced campers/back packers , all state regs apply as to fishing , got that from just a fast glance on the sites , also saw tons of phone numbers for contact ... not sure why its a chore , its all just a click away Wink

Oscar
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:24 pm
Redkorn

odogfish wrote:
Redkorn wrote:

... I googled CI and tons of info came up , saw that three of the islands do not allow fishing and most do allow camping but only experienced campers/back packers , all state regs apply as to fishing , got that from just a fast glance on the sites , also saw tons of phone numbers for contact ... not sure why its a chore , its all just a click away Wink

Thats for the whole chain not justo one island. I hate calling ppl I rather email.

Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:34 pm
odogfish

Redkorn wrote:
odogfish wrote:
Redkorn wrote:

Thats for the whole chain not justo one island. I hate calling ppl I rather email.

... actually I googled it both ways got about the same info ... why not reach out and call some of them ?

Oscar
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:03 pm
Redkorn

odogfish wrote:
Redkorn wrote:
odogfish wrote:
Redkorn wrote:

... actually I googled it both ways got about the same info ... why not reach out and call some of them ?

Ok after playing email I got this and found that yes your can fish that pier for lobsters and fish. And since there are no rules about over night stays on the pier I hope to hoop it oct for lobster.

My apologies Mr. Rosser - the allowed take for each area may be found at www.dfg.ca.gov/mlpa/mpa_regs.asp . Again, scroll down to Santa Barbara County. Between this page and the maps page I mentioned earlier, you should have complete MPA information for the island.

I understand and applaud your efforts to remain on the right side of the law. However, many of the things you mention here, such as localized fishing restrictions -- which can be more restrictive than Fish and Game laws, but not less restrictive — and whether the pier is open overnight, etc., are things DFG does not regulate. The best thing to do is find out which entity (or entities) manage the place you want to fish, contact them, and ask whether the public can fish there and whether there are any fishing restrictions in place for that area beyond state fishing regulations. Various piers, harbors and breakwaters may be privately-owned, public, federal, state, military... each of which may impose their own more stringent set of fishing rules, for example in the interest of public safety.

If you discover that this pier provides public access, with no fishing restrictions other than state fishing regulations, then all you need to do is abide by state fishing regulations as laid out in the current Ocean Sport Fishing regulations booklet. MPAs and permitted take are also listed in the booklets. Public pier fishermen are limited to two fishing appliances (rods, traps, lines, etc., per Section 28.65(b)) and need not possess a sport fishing license, but all fishing regulations must be followed. You can pick up a copy of the Ocean Sport Fishing regulations booklet wherever sport fishing licenses are sold, at your local DFG office, and online at the address provided in my first e-mail.

best of luck,

Mary Patyten

Mary Patyten
California Department of Fish and Game
Marine Region Education and Outreach
(707) 964-5026

Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:19 am
slowriprun

Redcorn, it does look really nice! If you're gonna be organizing a trip out there and northerners are welcome, please keep me in mind; I'd be willing to make the drive down, if the timing works out. Thanks
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:42 pm
Redkorn

slowriprun wrote:
Redcorn, it does look really nice! If you're gonna be organizing a trip out there and northerners are welcome, please keep me in mind; I'd be willing to make the drive down, if the timing works out. Thanks

Organizing? Well I leave that in better hands but It would be cool to have GTG out side of catlina where mid north ppl can come. There is a train station down the road for oxnard harbor. Google it.

They have not trips planed but maybe if like lets besafe and say five go we could get a discount. And maybe extra time. The will take kayaks out there. Great place to dive to.

I keep a update after I talk to few others during the last lobster trip and GTG and see where things stand. If not solo run.

You tube the island and check it out.

Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:07 pm
slowriprun

Yea, I "you'd" it when I first started to look into it; that's what got me going. My only concern -and it's not a big one- is the wind. All the writing went into a lot about it.
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:29 am
Redkorn

slowriprun wrote:
Yea, I "you'd" it when I first started to look into it; that's what got me going. My only concern -and it's not a big one- is the wind. All the writing went into a lot about it.

Yes there will be issues with the win since there is nothing to stop it and theres prett much no trees...but there is a nice daw with road to the pier I think we can find cover there.

Going to Email the charter company to see what they are open to.

Coolers?
Fishing rods?
Fish?
Dive gear?

And too see when there trips will start again for the island.

So are looks like only me,you and ken are the ones that would love to try and make it there sometime this year.

Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:53 am
420Fisherman

Its been a goal of mine to do this trip as many times as possible,(ever since i read Island of the Blue dolphins as a child) being poor i've been hassling family and friends to sail me out one weekend and pick me up the next(plus this way there is no weight restrictions like island packers 50lb limit), if you want some conditioning for the windy conditions try fishing and camping out on Gaviota pier, its very similar weather and fishing conditions... Im under the same impression that this pier could be one of the best producers in CA today, maybe WE should be talking less about it, so it's not a target for the many "poachers" that plague our piers throughout CA since there is obviously No F&G patrolling that pier in particular and any smart poacher would be reading these posts for there own gain... Though if the spot becomes popular I would recommend leaving 'Tags' of skin on the fillets so the F&G can reconize the species fillet in case you try bring some back on the island packer via cooler. Im sorry if I sound paranoid, but i've had all my best spots "poached" and over fished by sportfishermen, poachers and commercial fisherman. So I really hate to see one of the "last" un-tapped piers get trashed and fished out like most the rest up and down the coast...I would move to this pier/island and fish/dive those islands happily like the chumash of old(more like a modern day Fisher/hermit), for the rest of my days if it were possible... Anyone feel they are "Fishing fanatics" or enjoy reading books, should check out a book called "The River WHY" its about a born fishin fanatic whom after a childhood of schooling,chores and fishing whenever physically possible, turns 18 moves to a cabin in prime fishing territory to become a hermit and escape all the distractions of civilization to achieve the ultimate goal, maximum amount of daily fishing time achieved(A vague description leaving out lots of key details to find out for yourself...

"I want to wander the woods, fish and drink, fish and drink... what else am I supposed to do with my life?- Sir Izaak Newton
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:10 am
Ken Jones

I wrote this up a couple of years ago when Boyd and I were thinking of visiting the island(s). It has not been updated nor does it reflect the latest MLPA resrictions (although I do not think any new areas have opened up).

The piers of the western Channel Islands — Anacapa Island, Santa Cruz Island, Santa Rosa Island, and San Miguel Island

Each of the islands that front Ventura and Santa Barbara Counties are part of Channel Islands National Park and the Channel Islands National Marine Sanctuary. Most of these islands had piers or wharves built upon them at one time. Although these piers/wharves were primarily used to facilitate the landing of materials and people to the island, it can be assumed that the piers were also used for fishing. Only one today is open to angling by the public.

Anacapa Island

782-acre Anacapa Island is one of the smaller Channel Islands and is the closest island to the mainland, just, 12 miles from the Channel Islands Harbor in Oxnard. It’s 32 nautical miles from Santa Barbara.

Anacapa is comprised of three small islets, East, Middle and West. Exploration is permitted on the East islet accessed by the Landing Cove, and a small beach on the West islet called Frenchy’s Cove. The middle islet and most of the western islet remain a wilderness area set aside for nesting seabirds like the endangered California brown pelican. The island is noted among anglers as one of the most favored haunts of the giant (black) sea bass, a leviathan fish once hunted to extinction but now beginning to show a return in numbers.

The East Anacapa Landing Cove and pier is the normal entry point to the island. Visitors depart the boat by stepping onto a ladder at the cove where they climb several rungs to a wooden dock. From the dock there is a winding stair and roughly 150 steps that takes visitors to the island plateau about 200 feet above sea level.

The only access to the water is from the Landing Cove where a ladder leads to water about 20 feet deep. However, fishing from the Landing Cove is not permitted since it is within the Anacapa Island Marine Reserve (State Marine Reserves prohibit all take of living, geological, or cultural resources).

If you just want to visit and see the island, you will find a small visitor center with a picnic area and outhouse-style restrooms. A historic lighthouse still operates on the island, and the buildings once used to house Coast Guard personnel have been converted into facilities for the National Park Service. There are no shade trees on east Anacapa Island though the building that houses the visitor’s center provides some shade. There is no potable or running water on the island so visitors whether staying for the day or camping need to bring an ample supply of water.

Santa Cruz Island

61,764-acre Santa Cruz Island is the largest of the Channel Islands as well as the largest island in California. It sits 22 just nautical miles from Santa Barbara.

The Scorpion Anchorage on the east end of the island is the most common entry point to the island. There is a small pier at Scorpion Anchorage where visitors step from the boat onto a ladder and climb a few rungs to the pier.

The current 320-foot-long pier was built in the 1940s and, like most piers that have survived for over a half-century, has seen damage over the years from wind and wave. Built of timber decking and timber piles, the pier is scheduled to be reconstructed once plans and monies are available.

The beach is a mix of sand and cobble and slopes gently to about 30 feet deep inside the cove. There is a small, shallow-water kelp forest near the pier but pier anglers should not get excited. Fishing from the pier or shore within Scorpion Anchorage is not permitted because it is within the Scorpion State Marine Reserve. Fishing outside of the marine protected area is accessible by kayak or by hiking 4 miles to Smugglers Cove.

Facilities include picnic tables both on the beach or in the tree shaded area near the historic Scorpion Ranch buildings. There are outhouse style restroom facilities near the picnic areas.

Camping is available on the island about 1⁄2 mile up a dirt road from the pier. A picnic table and small storage box is included in each campsite. Visitors must contain and pack out all trash and should be prepared to secure food and trash from island animals. Several outhouse style restrooms are located adjacent to the campsites. No fires are allowed in the campground or anywhere on the island, however propane/gas camp stoves are permitted.

Santa Rosa Island

53,195-acre Santa Rosa Island is the second largest of the western (or northern) Channel Islands and is located 28 nautical miles off the coast of Santa Barbara.

The most common entry point to the island is the old pier at Bechers Bay. The pier, built in the 1870s, and long used by the historic Vail-Vickers ranch complex, has been rebuilt several times. Major repairs occurred in 1913 and 1945 and the National Park Service repaired and strengthened the structure in 1987. Additional repairs were made in 2002, 2003, and 2004. However, a major rebuild is needed and plans to rehabilitate the failing pier have been proposed. The pier serves visitors and park operations and failure to fix the pier could stop boat access to Santa Rosa Island.

There is access to the water from several locations along Bechers Bay. The beaches are primarily sand and sand dunes with a gentle slope out to 30-40 feet deep inside the bay. There is a small rocky intertidal habitat just south of the pier that can be explored during periods of low tide. During minus tides one can walk from the pier along more than 2 miles of white sand beach.

This is the only pier that allows fishing in the western Channel Islands—at least on the south side of the pier. Fishing from the pier, the beaches, or by kayak, on the south side of the pier is outside of the marine protected area. Fishing north of the pier is not permitted because it is within the Carrington Point State Marine Reserve.

Due to difficult weather, rugged terrain and off-trail hiking, backcountry beach camping should be undertaken only be the experienced, well equipped and physically fit.

San Miguel Island

9,325-acre San Miguel Island is the westernmost and sixth largest of the Channel Islands and is 38 nautical miles from Santa Barbara.

Typically less than 200 people a year visit San Miguel Island opting instead to journey to one of the closer, more visitor friendly islands. The voyage to San Miguel Island is longer, sea conditions are often rough (eight-foot seas are common between Santa Rosa Island and San Miguel Island), the landing itself is tricky, and there are minimal facilities on the island.

There is no pier on San Miguel Island so visitors are carried by skiff onto the beach at Cuyler Harbor. The shore landing can be fairy uneventful during calm conditions, or dangerous when the swell is high; the surf can swamp the landing boat. Luckily, the site is fairly well protected from the strong northwest ocean swell. During ideal weather visitors are put ashore directly in front of the main trail that leads into the interior of the island. When the swell is high, visitors are sometimes placed on the beach to the east or west depending upon conditions.

Weather can be problematic since the island does not receive the same protection from the open ocean as the other Channel Islands. Generally a strong, 25 mph or more, northwest wind blows across the island. Heavy fog is also common on the island; when present the temperature will rarely exceed 55°F.

Visitors to the island are restricted to ocean access at Cuyler Harbor. Fishing is not permitted in this area since the Harris Point State Marine Reserve encloses the area around the harbor. In addition, sea kayaking is not recommended unless skilled; high winds can develop without notice. The harbor has a sandy beach and during low tides offers a tide pool area at the east end of the beach.

There is no potable water, and no shade trees on this island, so visitors should bring ample drinking water, a hat and sunscreen. Lunch, snacks, and water should be carried in a backpack or similar style bag since hiking trails are steep and narrow in some places. The island includes a campground with 10 sites. Each campsite includes a picnic table, windbreak and an animal-proof box. The campground includes one pit toilet. Fires are prohibited due to the high winds and sturdy tents are recommended since the wind can exceed 50 mph, even during the summer. With the exception of the trail leading to the campground and ranger station, hiking is restricted to ranger-led outings.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:12 am
420Fisherman

just in case anyone interested in this book i googled it and they just made a movie based on it. and since I didnt give a good discripton heres the 'back of book discription... A coming of age story narrated by Gus Orviston, the oldest son in a fishing mad family. Frustrated with life in Portland Or. the constant bickering of his bait fishing mother and tweed wearing fly fishing father over the proper way to fish, Gus moves to a small cabin in the foothills of the Oregon Coast Range. Once there he begins to follow an "ideal schedule" that has him doing nothing but eating, sleeping and fishing. In the course of doing nothing but what he loves to do he begins to notice the scars that humanity has inflicted on the river and woods he loves. As he wrestles with what to do he begins to relate with the people in his neighborhood, and discovers a beautiful fisherwoman that helps him discover that there is more to life than just fishing. its a book that changed my life, and i will be posting stuff like this in the off topic section in the future...
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Pier and Surf Fishing Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 2  Page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: