pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page 1, 2  Next
PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
>> Szechwan Mussels or Mussels Mariniere (your call) [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:01 pm
frozendog

It's the same recipe. Just the seasonings are different. I used my wok that has a lid. Added little bit of oil, chopped onion, garlic, spring onion and chopped jalepeno. Sweat these in the wok until softened.

If you want Mariniere, you would add butter and white wine and then the mussels at this point. Add any herbs (thyme and parsley go well), then put on the lid and steam until the mussels open. Then serve with crusty bread.
But if you want Szechwan, don't use the butter. Add white wine and mussels and herbage that you like. Cover and steam until they open. Then I mixed some packaged Szechwan sauce with water and then combined it well with the mussels in the wok.

Try and get your mussels out of the pan as soon as they open so they don't get tough. It shouldn't take more than 5 minutes of steaming. I start taking the mussels out as they open, leaving the lid off so the sauce reduces and concentrates. Pour the sauce back over the mussels in your bowl.

I like to get some sauce, a little veg and a mussel in the spoon - then down the hatch.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:13 pm
muttfishr

Where are we getting the mussels? from the surf? store? Is there a difference? Sorry for all the questions, but Id like to try this, it looks really GOOD! Thanks...mutt.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:41 pm
frozendog

muttfishr wrote:
Where are we getting the mussels? from the surf? store? Is there a difference? Sorry for all the questions, but Id like to try this, it looks really GOOD! Thanks...mutt.
Right under my feet on the last reef I was rockfishing from. Only accessible at low tide.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:20 pm
polishfromthedeep

Bomb!

It's so easy a caveman could do it... haha.

Thanks for the recipe.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:19 am
shaycarl

No disrespect frozendog, but is it safe to eat mussels from shore? I think in SoCal we have signs posted to not eat shellfish
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:04 am
frozendog

shaycarl wrote:
No disrespect frozendog, but is it safe to eat mussels from shore? I think in SoCal we have signs posted to not eat shellfish

That's one reason I don't live in So. Cal anymore. These mussels were harvested on the Central Coast near San Simeon. Clean water and little pollution. I have never seen a sign warning about mussels except on the season closure. We have very few red tides. And, here I am, a couple of days later after eating them, still healthy.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:43 am
rockcrab62

Looks like a great recipe, FD!

And if you're worried about shellfish poisoning, here is the California PSP hotline: 800-553-4133

Always a good idea to call before you go, just in case.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:01 pm
Sofa King

That looks soooo yummy. I'm goin' ta have ta go get some mussels and try it...

Early to bed, Early to rise, fish all day, make up lies
<*}}}}}}}}}><
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:43 am
seabass_seeker

Gotta question FD, do you guys experience pearls or sand in your mussels too? Are the ones off the rocks better than the ones low near the sand? Hmm, I'm gonna have to do some investigating.
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:40 pm
Sofa King

Got a bucket of mussels. Now to try this recipe. Do the smaller mussels taste better than the big ones? I should have asked before I picked big ones.

Early to bed, Early to rise, fish all day, make up lies
<*}}}}}}}}}><
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:19 pm
frozendog

seabass_seeker wrote:
Gotta question FD, do you guys experience pearls or sand in your mussels too? Are the ones off the rocks better than the ones low near the sand? Hmm, I'm gonna have to do some investigating.

All of my mussels are harvested in rocky areas, nowhere near any sand. So, no pearls or sand, just a beard.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:23 pm
frozendog

Sofa King wrote:
Got a bucket of mussels. Now to try this recipe. Do the smaller mussels taste better than the big ones? I should have asked before I picked big ones.

It depends on what you mean by big. The ones I got were about 2 1/2 inches. Those were the biggest ones where I was, but compared to other places, they are probably medium to small. I can't answer on taste as I haven't gotten any bigger ones. I have always looked for mussels about 2 1/2 to 3 inches. So, you do a taste test and tell us.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:34 pm
rockcrab62

In my experience, the ones longer than ~3.5 inches have a stronger taste. The shorter ones are milder and better tasting IMHO.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:02 pm
MsCMSchultz

I have always purged my mussels. Is this unneccesary in non-sandy areas?

Artist, GretchDragon
TY, Gretch!
Top of page
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:26 am
jmsh

MsCMSchultz wrote:
I have always purged my mussels. Is this unneccesary in non-sandy areas?

Even the "non-sandy area" mussels can have grit in them, I always soak 'em in fresh water to try to get them to spit it out.

I have found that the "bigger ones" (in the 5" plus range)are tougher, more rubbery, at least here in Mendocino County.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 2  Page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: