pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> Modifying Lures [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:13 am
unclesteve

Aight, so I got a bunch of lures on sale a while back and a lot of them are doubles. Thus, I want to modify the lures from diving to top water. I know bass fisherman modify sinking lures by putting mineral water? or some sort of liquid inside to make it float. Anybody, know what type of liquid would do this and if crazy glue is good enough to seal the hole.

Thanks in advance,
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:30 pm
kin

what do you mean by "modifying the lures from diving to top water". also, what do you mean by topwater (surface or upper water column)? typically, the best way to modify the lure and change its diving would be to move the ring where you tie your line on. the furher out you move the ring, the less it will dive, the closer to the head of the lure it is, the deeper it will dive. the lip also plays an important role in this, but briefly it will do. if you want a lure to be a lot more bouyant, i'd say drill a small hole and put some oil in there and seal it up good with some rubber cement (doesn't get all loose after a few good hits on hard objects and is easier to work with, to some extent). but if you are adding liquid in there, be aware that you are goign to increase the weight of the lure and thus cause it to have a slightly different action to it. g'luck and hope i've helped
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:44 am
unclesteve

topwater=surface. thanks for the tips. do you know of any specific oils that might work..? the different action part is fine considering I don't even use them....its a little project to mess around with..

thanks in advance
Top of page
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 1:23 am
kin

if you want surface, just cut off the lip and file down any sharp points to it. the best oils to use would probably be attractant oil, just in case the glue doesn't hold, you have a lure that'll give off a nice scent. but so far, the consensous would probably be to use light oils (olive and vege) over dark/heavy ones (frying oils that are made up for fats) but then, that's all by people who hear it from others, no one i know has tried it (besides scent oil).
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: