pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> New/Different Boards? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:07 am
Ken Jones

It's been suggested by some that the Boards be changed and though I will make the final decision I'd like to hear people's opinions.

Some options:

(1) No change.
(2) Eliminate the Off Topic Board but leave everything else the same.
(3) Leave the Off Topic Board in place but have separate boards for pier and surf fishing reports.
(4) Eliminate the Off Topic Board and have separate boards for pier and surf fishing reports.
(5) Leave the Off Topic Board in place but have separate boards for northern and southern California fishing reports.
(6) Eliminate the Off Topic Board and have separate boards for northern and southern California fishing reports.

One board that I'm also thinking of adding is a seminar board that would contain some of the best "How To" threads from the archives. i.e., how to use plastics from shore. I would probably need to elicit member's help in picking those threads.

Your thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:45 am
illcatchanything2

I think the OT and Pier/Shore boards should be left alone. It nice to see reports from both in the same forum, and I would venture to guess that 80-90% of people who fish piers also fish shore spots.

The OT board is a nice place to have a general conversation about things. Its cool that those who want to, can post about a broad range of topics without bothering the people who are only looking for fishing reports.

Even though PFIC is focused on pier/shore anglers, we could consider adding a Boat/Yak/whatever floats report board. This may help attract a wider audience.

I think the Seminar board is a good idea, maybe replace the videos board? I mean, the videos are cool, but we really dont get that many of them.....

As for "dividing" the board between NorCal & SoCal, I dont really care for that idea. I enjoy reading the reports from the Central and Southern and Extreme Northern parts of the state. As our membership grows, there may come a time when a division is needed due to the volume of reports, but right now I think it is fine the way it is.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:11 am
songslinger

Quote:
As for "dividing" the board between NorCal & SoCal, I dont really care for that idea.

Oddly, I feel the same way. Because it's already divided by choice. People tend to read and comment on their own regions.

I think it's time for a special category or sticky for Catalina. It deserves that designation. No need for bumps--just put it up there along with the pier articles, fish conservation, etc.

Don't lock any more threads. Delete them. And the mods do not need to justify this to the general public. PMs and emails will take care of that. Chances are, if you get bounced, you know why anyway. "Time outs" would work just fine, as opposed to permanent banning.

I would also be okay with off-topic pertaining to fishing and nothing else. We barely agree on things as it is around here.

As for best of or helpful threads having their own zone, yes! The Search Archives are corrupted with extraneous junk due to spurious and often childish posts that have cluttered up subject matter. One ought to be able to look up methodology without having to sift through minutiae that was better unsaid, or should have been relegated to personal messages.

And how about limiting pictures to one per catch? How many angles of the same fish do we really need? (Personally I would not mind if the pix were done away with altogether, since so many are fatuous and irrelevant, and poor excuses for actual reporting.)

And hey, if you can't be bothered to mention even a general area where you caught the fish, why bother to post? Bragging sucks: it's for those with poor skills.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:53 am
mel

Since we're on the topic of off topic, I would not like to see the ot board eliminated. There's a reason why it's here in the first place. I remember back in the day Ken was throwing the idea around of creating a new board and the ot board was born. I like it the way it is. I think it's working. Except for the obvious hijackers and occasional snipes and postings of pm's (which btw, happens on just about every board I'm on), this is one of my favorite boards and it always will be. Change is good, as long as it's done for all the right reasons.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:54 am
fishfritter

I agree 100% with illcatchanything2 , keep it the same
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:42 am
thefrood

I like the way things are now on here with Off Topic and Pier/Shore... and also agree that separating into Nor Cal and So Cal is kind of pointless...

There are a couple things I would suggest though... I realize that the BOOK is _Pier Fishing in California_ but I would really like to see the coverage on the board expand to the entire west coast (east coast as well?) instead of all non-california reports just being lumped into off-topic... maybe add a couple new board headers, one for "offshore" from boats and yaks, one for "Techniques and Tips" that focuses on how to tie up rigs, use plastics, etc but isn't related purely to the hardware of fishing (and could also include a "product review" heading for people to comment on how their specific equipment performs).

I realize this post has become somewhat disjointed so I'll summarize below...

1) Keep Off-Topic and Pier and Shore as-is.
2) Add an extra "Pier and Shore Abroad" topic
3) Add an "Offshore" topic for boat/yak/diving etc
4) Add a "Product Review" topic to keep more clear track of people's takes on different brands, etc. of gear/hooks/weights/line/etc (strictly evaluation as opposed to the hardware tips and tricks)
5) Add a "Technique and Rigging" topic for posts like Claymans "Plastics 101" and the earlier one that I can no longer find a link to for "Shore Rockfishing" from SurfSamurai...

** The above suggestions reflect only my personal opinion, but I think the "Technique and Rigging" suggestion is the one that would benefit the board the most

*** I'm back in Riverside County now. Anyone around up for some fishing? What about So Cal beaches?
Top of page
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:04 am
RazorClam

Please make this a members only forum. People will share more if lurkers can not read posts.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:07 am
thefrood

RazorClam wrote:
Please make this a members only forum. People will share more if lurkers can not read posts.

+1 for the reports section

Think that the tips/techniques or non-report info is good to have open to all...

*** I'm back in Riverside County now. Anyone around up for some fishing? What about So Cal beaches?
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:26 am
JEZ

illcatchanything2 wrote:
I think the OT and Pier/Shore boards should be left alone. It nice to see reports from both in the same forum, and I would venture to guess that 80-90% of people who fish piers also fish shore spots.

The OT board is a nice place to have a general conversation about things. Its cool that those who want to, can post about a broad range of topics without bothering the people who are only looking for fishing reports.

Even though PFIC is focused on pier/shore anglers, we could consider adding a Boat/Yak/whatever floats report board. This may help attract a wider audience.

I think the Seminar board is a good idea, maybe replace the videos board? I mean, the videos are cool, but we really dont get that many of them.....

As for "dividing" the board between NorCal & SoCal, I dont really care for that idea. I enjoy reading the reports from the Central and Southern and Extreme Northern parts of the state. As our membership grows, there may come a time when a division is needed due to the volume of reports, but right now I think it is fine the way it is.

I agree. This is my favorite fishing website and the only one I visit regularly. I think the whole "spot burning" issue is a bit overblown. To paraphrase songslinger, when it comes down to readers having to ask whether the fishing was done in the ocean or in the S.F. Bay it's getting kind of ridiculous.

I enjoy a report with pictures; if there are too many for your taste then just scroll by them. Lots of times a photo will elicit questions that bring out good information, fish identification, etc.

I even enjoy the flame wars to a certain extent. They do provide some entertainment, but I suppose some folks take it all too seriously. Funny how a lot of those things get started because a post is ambiguous or just plain inarticulate, then follows a response based on the worst possible interpretation of what was written, often as poorly expressed as the original post. Maybe it's too much to expect people to pause and write clearly, or maybe they just can't: in any case the results are frequently amusing!
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:26 am
muttfishr

Ok, I guess I'll throw my four and a half cents in, (it use-to be 2 cents but with the economy and all,,,) I Guess you could split the pier/shore into seprate boards, please leave the OT board, add a yak/boat board, Do we really want to further drive a wedge inbetween north and south? (And where does that leave us in the middle?) With seprate boards? I think a rigging (how-to) board is a neat idea, we could have a trip to alaska board and a down south in Baha board, and how about a take a trip with us charter board? wanna get a few guys togeather and go tuna fishing in SanDiego? maybe salmon fishing in frisco? how about pacific halibut out of humbolt? Before I get way overboard with this, I guess Im trying to say just leave it alone, I think this web site is fine the way it is, It was a godsend to me when I found it in Kens book, it was different back then,I try'ed to log in, but was unable to do so, so I guess I was a lurker for about 4yrs untill my son came home from colledge and hooked me up to ya, Im not computer literate. I think we could make boards of different intrests but then where would it end? Ok so I spent 5c but thats my thoughts anyhow...mutt.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:33 am
odogfish

... the site and its format are fine ... only problem I see is that people need not take things so serious but the INTERNET does bring out that and much more/worse ... I am the same person on line as I am face to face .. ken just keep an eye on my langauge Wink

Oscar
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:03 am
spicytuna

Ken, the board is fine the way it is. Participants on any forum will always agree to disagree. I believe that personal behavior should be modified, and not the forum itself. If people vehemently disagree with your rules on YOUR site, perhaps they should find another board (especially since the overwhelming majority don't make any contributions towards running the website).
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:07 am
Mike415

thefrood wrote:
RazorClam wrote:

Think that the tips/techniques or non-report info is good to have open to all...

Agree 100%!!!

Make it so you have to join in order to read the reports section.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:17 am
spicytuna

Mike415 wrote:
thefrood wrote:
RazorClam wrote:

Agree 100%!!!

Make it so you have to join in order to read the reports section.

I am fine with that, but what exactly does membership entail? A simple e-mail registration? For those who are concerned about lurkers and spot burners, that would not fix the problem. This site is currently a free resource and open to all. There are boards that have implemented an annual fee, so you must pay to post and read reports. Although that route may have eliminated lurkers to some extent, it has also diminished membership and participation, without a significant increase in detail of fishing reports. People will still protect their fishing spots and won't divulge all the nuances of their techniques.
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:49 am
Redkorn

Well I have a few suggestions and idea's.

Surf/Shore board

crab/lobster board

http://countdownimages.org/cdwn/1_1e0_ff3333.png
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 4  Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to: