pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in



Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> Braggin' Rights + Useful Information [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:37 am
Ken Jones


Posts: 9415
Location: California

I deleted a couple of posts. Make the comments general in nature; do not attack people.
_________________
Support UPSAC! Preserve pier and shore angling in California.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:28 am
thefrood


Posts: 1293
Location: Southern California (Riverside County)

Actually, and I realize that this is exactly what people who practice spot-burning like, but I really appreciate pictures that show the area, etc. in reports. Not necessarily because I'm going to go google everywhere I can think of to find that spot, but because my own fishing skills are not so great and moreso than looking for specific spots, I'm trying to see similarities between productive spots and rigs compared to the non-productive spots and rigs that I seem to usually find on my own...

I had similar problems with gold prospecting for a long time. I know what I'm SUPPOSED to look for, but until I developed enough experience to read the ACTUAL land and what I had READ I should look for, there was a criticial disconnect... and I rarely would have a 'flash in the pan' when out panning or sluicing.

Unfortunately, I realize that posting pictures of your honey holes that have any identifying markers in them is pretty much the same as soaking the area with lighter fuel and throwing down a match... people will recognize the area and flock there.

As for the people who destroy a spot physically (litter, vandalism, etc) moreso than just spot burning, in my experience it's usually the people who support fishing bans who go on tourist trips to these places that leave their soda cans, beer bottles, and chip bags around the place. Most fishermen I've met (maybe I've just been lucky) may leave a little line laying around once in a while (I admit, I've lost track of some mono "ends" when I had to clip off a bit of extra leader material) but I have only rarely encountered a fisherman who blithely left a ratted nest of line tangled all around the environment...

_________________
----

*** I'm back in Riverside County now. Anyone around up for some fishing? What about So Cal beaches?
Top of page
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:23 am
2d


Posts: 564

thefrood wrote:


Unfortunately, I realize that posting pictures of your honey holes that have any identifying markers in them is pretty much the same as soaking the area with lighter fuel and throwing down a match... people will recognize the area and flock there.

ie fbjw.it took an oil spill in the bay to relieve that spot of some of the pressure and it's still not back to what it once was.

thefrood wrote:
As for the people who destroy a spot physically (litter, vandalism, etc) moreso than just spot burning, in my experience it's usually the people who support fishing bans who go on tourist trips to these places that leave their soda cans, beer bottles, and chip bags around the place. Most fishermen I've met (maybe I've just been lucky) may leave a little line laying around once in a while (I admit, I've lost track of some mono "ends" when I had to clip off a bit of extra leader material) but I have only rarely encountered a fisherman who blithely left a ratted nest of line tangled all around the environment...

tourists leave hook, sinker and line packaging, old bait and "trash" fish/fish parts behind? a lot of the spots I fish regularly are not exactly tourist havens and some of them are innundated with trash.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:21 am
Sin_Coast


Posts: 1842
Location: Marina, CA

Do we need to come to a consensus on the basic factors that make a good fishing report lol? I can make an interactive template with pull-down menus if that makes it easier for people to share info about their fishing adventures. Here’s an example.


I went fishing on DATE at LOCATION. I fished from TIME. I was fishing for SPECIES using BAIT/LURE. I was using my ROD/REEL/LINE setup. The conditions were TIDE/CURRENT/SWELL/WIND/TEMP/LUNAR PHASE. I caught this SPECIES and it was SIZE. I decided to KEEP/RELEASE it because REASON (note: no reason necessary). I had a ADJECTIVE time fishing. It made me EMOTION. I WILL/WON’T fish there again in the future because REASON.

_________________
Oh I'm sorry, I thought this was America?! hahaha
Top of page
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:24 am
Mike415


Posts: 907
Location: Mori Point

Sin_Coast wrote:
Do we need to come to a consensus on the basic factors that make a good fishing report lol? I can make an interactive template with pull-down menus if that makes it easier for people to share info about their fishing adventures. Here’s an example.


I went fishing on DATE at LOCATION. I fished from TIME. I was fishing for SPECIES using BAIT/LURE. I was using my ROD/REEL/LINE setup. The conditions were TIDE/CURRENT/SWELL/WIND/TEMP/LUNAR PHASE. I caught this SPECIES and it was SIZE. I decided to KEEP/RELEASE it because REASON (note: no reason necessary). I had a ADJECTIVE time fishing. It made me EMOTION. I WILL/WON’T fish there again in the future because REASON.


Might also want to add what you ate for breakfast. Maybe a color coded pie chart too!!! Very Happy

_________________
bass_turd77 wrote:
I get hella depressed if I skunk out 5 times in a row.
Top of page
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:25 pm
MBay


Posts: 573
Location: MBay

Sin_Coast wrote:
Do we need to come to a consensus on the basic factors that make a good fishing report lol? I can make an interactive template with pull-down menus if that makes it easier for people to share info about their fishing adventures. Here’s an example.


I went fishing on DATE at LOCATION. I fished from TIME. I was fishing for SPECIES using BAIT/LURE. I was using my ROD/REEL/LINE setup. The conditions were TIDE/CURRENT/SWELL/WIND/TEMP/LUNAR PHASE. I caught this SPECIES and it was SIZE. I decided to KEEP/RELEASE it because REASON (note: no reason necessary). I had a ADJECTIVE time fishing. It made me EMOTION. I WILL/WON’T fish there again in the future because REASON.



that would be a good report

_________________
eat,sleep,fish
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:32 pm
Mike415


Posts: 907
Location: Mori Point

MBay wrote:
Sin_Coast wrote:
Do we need to come to a consensus on the basic factors that make a good fishing report lol? I can make an interactive template with pull-down menus if that makes it easier for people to share info about their fishing adventures. Here’s an example.


I went fishing on DATE at LOCATION. I fished from TIME. I was fishing for SPECIES using BAIT/LURE. I was using my ROD/REEL/LINE setup. The conditions were TIDE/CURRENT/SWELL/WIND/TEMP/LUNAR PHASE. I caught this SPECIES and it was SIZE. I decided to KEEP/RELEASE it because REASON (note: no reason necessary). I had a ADJECTIVE time fishing. It made me EMOTION. I WILL/WON’T fish there again in the future because REASON.



that would be a good report


It would be very cool to have all those choices to enter in. Even if people only use one or two the option is still there if you want to get crazy with it.

_________________
bass_turd77 wrote:
I get hella depressed if I skunk out 5 times in a row.
Top of page
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:43 pm
lucy


Posts: 816

I enjoy seeing the pictures. If all the person ever posts is pictures, and no information, then it appears to me that his only reason for posting is to brag. Nothing wrong with that, I guess, but it ultimately comes off as rather rude-- as in, "Here-- I can't be bothered to write anything informative or even entertaining, but I want YOU to give me kudos." Well, sorry, but if the person can't be bothered to write anything at all, why should I waste MY time writing something congratulatory?

Frozendog does excellent reports-- he posts pictures of the type of area, and that's more important, I think, than showing any one specific spot. He also mentions the tide/water conditions, bait, etc. etc. His reports are educational AND mouth-watering too.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:33 pm
tomaurand


Posts: 52

Mike415 wrote:
Sin_Coast wrote:
Do we need to come to a consensus on the basic factors that make a good fishing report lol? I can make an interactive template with pull-down menus if that makes it easier for people to share info about their fishing adventures. Here’s an example.


I went fishing on DATE at LOCATION. I fished from TIME. I was fishing for SPECIES using BAIT/LURE. I was using my ROD/REEL/LINE setup. The conditions were TIDE/CURRENT/SWELL/WIND/TEMP/LUNAR PHASE. I caught this SPECIES and it was SIZE. I decided to KEEP/RELEASE it because REASON (note: no reason necessary). I had a ADJECTIVE time fishing. It made me EMOTION. I WILL/WON’T fish there again in the future because REASON.


Might also want to add what you ate for breakfast. Maybe a color coded pie chart too!!! Very Happy


i like colored pie charts.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:59 pm
2d


Posts: 564

tomaurand wrote:
Mike415 wrote:
Sin_Coast wrote:
Do we need to come to a consensus on the basic factors that make a good fishing report lol? I can make an interactive template with pull-down menus if that makes it easier for people to share info about their fishing adventures. Here’s an example.


I went fishing on DATE at LOCATION. I fished from TIME. I was fishing for SPECIES using BAIT/LURE. I was using my ROD/REEL/LINE setup. The conditions were TIDE/CURRENT/SWELL/WIND/TEMP/LUNAR PHASE. I caught this SPECIES and it was SIZE. I decided to KEEP/RELEASE it because REASON (note: no reason necessary). I had a ADJECTIVE time fishing. It made me EMOTION. I WILL/WON’T fish there again in the future because REASON.


Might also want to add what you ate for breakfast. Maybe a color coded pie chart too!!! Very Happy


i like colored pie charts.

pie charts are sooooo yesterday. Venn diagrams are the new sexy.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:01 pm
kelpangler


Posts: 1195
Location: Pasadena, CA

Sin_Coast wrote:
Do we need to come to a consensus on the basic factors that make a good fishing report lol? I can make an interactive template with pull-down menus if that makes it easier for people to share info about their fishing adventures. Here’s an example.


I went fishing on DATE at LOCATION. I fished from TIME. I was fishing for SPECIES using BAIT/LURE. I was using my ROD/REEL/LINE setup. The conditions were TIDE/CURRENT/SWELL/WIND/TEMP/LUNAR PHASE. I caught this SPECIES and it was SIZE. I decided to KEEP/RELEASE it because REASON (note: no reason necessary). I had a ADJECTIVE time fishing. It made me EMOTION. I WILL/WON’T fish there again in the future because REASON.
That would actually be kinda nice. Wink Ad-libs FTW!
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:18 pm
FishermanDan


Posts: 2495

OMG, I just had a revelation! I just realised the people with Braggin' Rights are the people who are catching all the fish, D'oh!

And vise versa. There are exceptions...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS4giqtbRBM
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:33 pm
fish_addict707


Posts: 398
Location: fairfield

Mike415 wrote:
Ok maybe all that info is a bit much but you get the idea. A picture only forum is not a bad idea.


thats what google image is for!
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:14 pm
dkkim


Posts: 970

2d wrote:
tomaurand wrote:
Mike415 wrote:
Sin_Coast wrote:
Do we need to come to a consensus on the basic factors that make a good fishing report lol? I can make an interactive template with pull-down menus if that makes it easier for people to share info about their fishing adventures. Here’s an example.


I went fishing on DATE at LOCATION. I fished from TIME. I was fishing for SPECIES using BAIT/LURE. I was using my ROD/REEL/LINE setup. The conditions were TIDE/CURRENT/SWELL/WIND/TEMP/LUNAR PHASE. I caught this SPECIES and it was SIZE. I decided to KEEP/RELEASE it because REASON (note: no reason necessary). I had a ADJECTIVE time fishing. It made me EMOTION. I WILL/WON’T fish there again in the future because REASON.


Might also want to add what you ate for breakfast. Maybe a color coded pie chart too!!! Very Happy


i like colored pie charts.

pie charts are sooooo yesterday. Venn diagrams are the new sexy.


What about good ole Gant Charts?
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:47 pm
freemanp1106


Posts: 284
Location: Monterey Peninsula

FishermanDan wrote:
Not everyone likes the same flavors. I think pictures of people and their fish are great. And a pic only board would be cool. I'm one of those guys who scrolls down the page and just clicks on all the posts that say [picture]. If I know ther might be some drama or a few good laughs, I'll read.
I am like Dan and am far more likely to click on a post when it has a picture.
_________________
I practice catch and release...in the grease!!!
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 2 of 3  Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Display posts from previous:   
Jump to: