pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page 1, 2, 3  Next
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> Braggin' Rights + Useful Information [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:54 pm
Mike415

I didn't want to hijack MinnowMagnet's thread any more than it already was.

FishermanDan wrote:
1)Whats wrong with braggin rights?

Nothing at all. Catching a nice fish is awesome. But you have to admit, when someone just posts a picture of a fish, with no useful information added, it's kind of like "Hey everyone, look at me, tell me how good I am!". I'm not talking about anyone in particular, just in general.

This site and Ken's books are about teaching people how to fish. Yes pictures of the fish we catch are cool to look at and encouraging for sure and most definitely should be posted. But along with the pictures, useful information should be posted as well.

Like the type of rigging if bait fishing. How you hooked the bait, why you hooked it that way. Why you used that bait and not another. If lure fishing what kind of lure you used, why you used that lure and not another. What time of day, what tide, type of structure, sand, rocks, eel grass, even moon phase is useful. This is the type of info that is going to make people think instead of just looking for a spot someone burned.

It's my feeling that the people who just lurk on these fishing forums looking for reports with spots in them are the same lazy people who leave their bait bags and boxes behind, yards of line, food trash, beer cans, rubber gloves(I hate that the most!!!), BTW what kinda pansy wears rubber gloves to put bait on? It's really pretty sad to see how much garbage people leave behind.

Ok that got a little off topic but I think you can see my point Smile

Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:01 pm
FishermanDan

Hmmm. I agree, but its a double edged sword. If you post detailed "How-to's" you are teaching those very people that you don't want to help. I don't think I have ever seen a Bay Area report with all the details you mention should be in a useful report. Also, Imagin a "Picture only" style forum, where pictures are the only form of communication. IMO, braggin is all a part of the fun spirit of fishing. My fish is smaller than yours, HA!

Last edited by FishermanDan on Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:02 pm
odogfish

I'm ok with some one bragging ... but a little info would be nice ... just a little ... some on here get way to carried away with their reports

... dude you're last paragraph was right on ! !

Oscar
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:50 pm
RazorClam

I'll never understand the rubber glove thing. What a bunch of Nancys.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:04 pm
MBay

FishermanDan wrote:
Hmmm. I agree, but its a double edged sword. If you post detailed "How-to's" you are teaching those very people that you don't want to help. I don't think I have ever seen a Bay Area report with all the details you mention should be in a useful report.

i have to disagree with that. you dont have to give out every detail and specific information about the catch and location. somethin as simple as:

hey i hit the surf this morning 730AM fished for about 2 hours usin sardine for bait nothin first few casts then finally a hit set it and fish on took me X amnt of time was really fun had a rgeat day today.

bam, all you need. nobody wants to see some pic of whoever and their fish and read, "look what i caught today."

i posted on MM's thread before i saw this but i'll say it again, if everybody on this board started postin like this, we would never find the real reports in all the chaos.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:17 pm
FishermanDan

Not everyone likes the same flavors. I think pictures of people and their fish are great. And a pic only board would be cool. I'm one of those guys who scrolls down the page and just clicks on all the posts that say [picture]. If I know ther might be some drama or a few good laughs, I'll read.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:21 pm
Mike415

Ok maybe all that info is a bit much but you get the idea. A picture only forum is not a bad idea.
Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:22 pm
FishermanDan

BTW, I'm PRO bragging and helping others. Oh, and some of the best fisherman I know are lurkers.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:27 pm
MBay

Mike415 wrote:
Ok maybe all that info is a bit much but you get the idea. A picture only forum is not a bad idea.

i guess so, maybe if there was a section on this board that was for pics only, that would be okay. but i can tell you right now, this years fishing for myself has gone through the roof in comparison to what it woulda been if i hadn't been part of this site, and met all the people i have so far through it. learned so damn much from this site its beautiful. a whole forumn with pics only would have got me nowhere.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:51 pm
CRASS

Personally, i dont care about people braggin about a legit fish in a post, but its kinda useless to call it a report when its:

"97000 inchez!@!
(pic)
/thread"

i like reading about fishing, because fishing rules. if i wanted to read a blurb about your silly haircut while you hold something i dont have, id read your blog. Razz

كافر
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:08 pm
clayman

CRASS wrote:
Personally, i dont care about people braggin about a legit fish in a post, but its kinda useless to call it a report when its:

"97000 inchez!@!
(pic)
/thread"

i like reading about fishing, because fishing rules. if i wanted to read a blurb about your silly haircut while you hold something i dont have, id read your blog. Razz

Or put it on Facebook Very Happy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:15 pm
mel

Since we're on the topic of pictures, I'd rather see pictures of fish with no report rather than reports with a bunch of pictures with no fish.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:25 pm
big one

I agree with this post. Where's the "like" button?
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:59 pm
The Orion

Everyone is different. For me the only greater joy than catching a fish myself is helping a friend catch one. The purpose of this board (in my mind) is to pool all of our knowlege so that we all become better fishermen. But as a fisherman I can respect the wishes of another to withold information. And out of all the other fishermen on this board I respect minnow as much as anyone.
And go giants!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:05 pm
Bat-Ray-Dave

I like lots of pictures of fish or just the surrounding area. Every picture tells a story.

Default settings unless otherwise noted.
Place = Newport Bay dock
Bait = Big Squid
Rod = Sabre Stroker CTS6455-BRNG
Reel = Penn 114h 6/0 Full-Aluminum Frame
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 3  Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: