pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PFIC Message Boards >> Fishing Tutorials This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
>> Using soft plastics for rockfish from shore - the basics [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:51 am
reef-ninja

awesome post man!
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:25 pm
frozendog

Glad you were bored! It looks like you might have done some fishing with plastics before. Thanks. Very instructive. Real, usable fishing info.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:40 pm
sd fisherman

Right on Chris. Great info. I posted a couple months ago how I appreciated all the Humboldt reports you put up over the years. Visualizing this kind of info you've now outlined is what I was talking about. I tried out the Zoom baits and Yum Dingers you reported on and had very good success with them also. I haven't been using the bead in my rig but I think I'll add that in also.

~Don aka SDF~
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:20 pm
dkkim

Nice post Clayman. In the past I had a bunch of bass gear that I wasn't planning on using and have found that they all work. Even the ugly lizards, buzzbaits and top waters. A school of blues hitting topwater is pure madness.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:58 pm
la mosca

Very Awesome and Informative post Clayman!
Appreciate the time you took, thank you!

I know you say you like those lures the most, but I was wondering about swimbaits in the Fishtrap/Bighammer mold types: have you ever fished those before? If you have why didn't you stick with them?
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:02 am
clayman

Thanks guys, hope this post comes in handy!

dkkim wrote:
Nice post Clayman. In the past I had a bunch of bass gear that I wasn't planning on using and have found that they all work. Even the ugly lizards, buzzbaits and top waters. A school of blues hitting topwater is pure madness.

I've only gotten into blues on topwater for one year, in 2005. I agree, it IS madness! Some of the most exciting rockfishing I've ever experienced.

la mosca wrote:
I know you say you like those lures the most, but I was wondering about swimbaits in the Fishtrap/Bighammer mold types: have you ever fished those before? If you have why didn't you stick with them?

I like swimbaits. They've produced a lot of black rockfish and lings for me, and that's what I started out using when I began throwing lures for rockfish. But I like the greater variety of fish you'll catch with a Texas or dropshot rig. I know cabs and grassies will hit a swimbait, but they won't take a swimbait as consistently as they will a lure that's fished on the bottom. Plus they're extremely versatile: you can fish them faster if you're looking to cover water, or you can slow everything down and really hammer small caves and holes. Slowing things down can be critical when fishing in bright, clear conditions, when the fish tend to hunker down in their holes and won't move much for anything. That's when a Texas-rigged fluke, allowed to sink into a hole and bump them over the head, can induce strikes that a swimbait would not.

Swimbaits are great for lings, and I actually prefer them when I'm targeting lings. But this post was intended more for rockfish than for lingcod.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:23 pm
la mosca

clayman wrote:
I like swimbaits. They've produced a lot of black rockfish and lings for me, and that's what I started out using when I began throwing lures for rockfish. But I like the greater variety of fish you'll catch with a Texas or dropshot rig. I know cabs and grassies will hit a swimbait, but they won't take a swimbait as consistently as they will a lure that's fished on the bottom. Plus they're extremely versatile: you can fish them faster if you're looking to cover water, or you can slow everything down and really hammer small caves and holes. Slowing things down can be critical when fishing in bright, clear conditions, when the fish tend to hunker down in their holes and won't move much for anything. That's when a Texas-rigged fluke, allowed to sink into a hole and bump them over the head, can induce strikes that a swimbait would not.

Swimbaits are great for lings, and I actually prefer them when I'm targeting lings. But this post was intended more for rockfish than for lingcod.

Thanx for answering my question, I really appreciate that. I had just wondered about that because I didn't see swimbaits on your list. Anyway great post and your writing style is clear and concise. I look forward to your first chapter on Salmon. Wink
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:27 pm
Mike415

An epic post for the shore rockfish community indeed Very Happy

I need to get in to that game.

Send private message Visit poster's website Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:05 pm
lucy

Excellent!!!!

Glad you were bored, and thanks for posting this!
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:40 pm
clayman

Giving this a bump for slowriprun or anyone else that's interested. I bet the rockfishing will bust wide open once winter loosens its grip.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:02 pm
maki909

clayman wrote:
Giving this a bump for slowriprun or anyone else that's interested. I bet the rockfishing will bust wide open once winter loosens its grip.

hey chris what do you usually catch the cabies on. ive been trying different things but the only way ive ever hooked into a nice cab was on dead smelt. i only ask because i saw a lot of pictures of you with some big cabies.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:00 am
flipback1976

Awesome post, I booked marked it for reference later.Will come in handy now that I want to start fishing plastics and lures when I dont wanna use bait.Thanks the post.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:51 pm
vitanksi

Nice! I've always wondered how this would work. Now I have something to do when I'm rockfishing, and all my bait has turned into mush.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:07 pm
Wipers

Great post, very informative and to the point!
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:50 pm
kelpangler

That's a nice how-to, clayman, thanks for sharing!
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Fishing Tutorials This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Page 4 of 5  Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jump to: