pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PFIC Message Boards >> Fishing Tutorials This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
>> Using soft plastics for rockfish from shore - the basics [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:13 pm
clayman

Glad to hear this post is helpful guys. Since I'm mostly landlocked now, I live through you coastal anglers' reports on the saltwater scene. Go get em!
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:29 am
goincoastal

Thanks again for this post. I finally took the time to get out and try these techniques on the HMB north jetty yesterday. I got a couple of short lings, both dropshotting a fluke. I used a 1/2 oz. river sinker and bounced the rig confidently around the rocks and didn't lose my tackle until around 30-40 casts. I lost two Texas rigs and didn't get any action on them. Didn't bring home dinner but the lings were a blast on light tackle. My outing didn't seem worthy of an official report, so I thought I'd give this thread a bump instead.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:30 pm
realdrums

Nice job on this post. I wanted to point out a few things regarding the drop-shot rig that will give an even better result. The best knot on that rig is a Palomar and make sure the tip of the hook ends up facing the tip of the rod so to speak. Then you put the line back through before tying on your sinker... This keeps that hook completely off the line. It's mapped out really well on the following link. Again, Great stuff. Thanks !
http://www.scsurffishing.com/articles/dropshot.htm
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:37 pm
clayman

goincoastal wrote:
Thanks again for this post. I finally took the time to get out and try these techniques on the HMB north jetty yesterday. I got a couple of short lings, both dropshotting a fluke. I used a 1/2 oz. river sinker and bounced the rig confidently around the rocks and didn't lose my tackle until around 30-40 casts. I lost two Texas rigs and didn't get any action on them. Didn't bring home dinner but the lings were a blast on light tackle. My outing didn't seem worthy of an official report, so I thought I'd give this thread a bump instead.

Right on dude, glad to hear it helped in your fish-catching! Short lings are vicious critters, lots of fun on light lures.

realdrums wrote:
Nice job on this post. I wanted to point out a few things regarding the drop-shot rig that will give an even better result. The best knot on that rig is a Palomar and make sure the tip of the hook ends up facing the tip of the rod so to speak. Then you put the line back through before tying on your sinker... This keeps that hook completely off the line. It's mapped out really well on the following link. Again, Great stuff. Thanks !
http://www.scsurffishing.com/articles/dropshot.htm

Thanks! I've been told the Palomar is the way to go with dropshot. Having success with both the Palomar and the double clinch, I haven't really noticed much of a difference in hookups between the two knots. I figure if it's a good fish, it'll engulf the entire bait and you'll hook them regardless. Might not hook them in the roof of the mouth with a double clinch, but no biggie.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:27 pm
fbuddy

Thank you VERY much for the photos and information.

How do you feel about a Carolina rig? I seem to have better luck with them.
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:44 pm
clayman

fbuddy wrote:
Thank you VERY much for the photos and information.

How do you feel about a Carolina rig? I seem to have better luck with them.

No problem dude, glad it helps! Some of my Humboldt rockfishing buddies actually prefer the Carolina rig over everything else. One of their favorite baits is a 2 inch Berkley Gulp! shrimp on a Carolina rig with a 3 foot leader. It definitely catches fish. I never mentioned the Carolina in this post because, well, I never tried it myself Smile. It always looked too snaggy to me, and those guys seemed to snag a lot. But it does catch fish!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:28 pm
realdrums

Hello again... The main difference between the two knots on the drop shot rig is really the step that follows the palomar knot, when you feed the line back through the top of the hook before tying on the sinker. This is what actually A. gives the lure its lifelike action and B. keeps the hook off the main line. This video lays it out really well and the part at 1:23 explains that key move... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhQA8dP9b9E
Of note, this video uses actual drop shot sinkers which don't require a knot but I have always used a conventional sinker (as your layout shows) and a standard palomar knot on it as well.

These next two videos show just how great this rig looks underwater...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSRyFL0KZQ8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kQVkN5XOHM
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:10 pm
flyingfool

thats a pretty nice tip there! and i like the added vids under the water. always fun to see that
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:37 am
Salty Nick v2

Gotta put in my thanks, too, for taking the time to put this up Clayman. Had never used a dropshot rig before - but your tutorial and tips in other posts helped me catch some blacks at the Humboldt jetty a few weeks back.

Salty.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:56 pm
clayman

Realdrums - cool vids! I see what you're talking about now. If/when I get back to rockfishing again, I'll need to try some more tinkering with the palomar.

Salty Nick - I'm really glad to hear that this post helped to put you on some fish in Humboldt. I was stoked when I read your report from up there. Keep up the good fishing dude!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:59 pm
Revulshawn

Thought I'd go ahead and give this old post a bump. It helped me a bunch last year, and it's that time again. This should be a sticky!
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:23 pm
fsh42na

Really nice, informative post. Thanks Clayman! Been doing a lot of poke poling for MFE, but I want to branch out to the way more yummy rockfish!

Thanks again!
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:40 pm
clayman

I'm glad this post has helped you in your rockfishing endeavors Revulshawn! You're right, it is most definitely that time of year for the Humboldt jetties! Ah, I have some great memories fishing those rocks. And fsh42na, I hope it helps to get you onto some rocky denizens other than MFEs as well!

Thanks for posting this up where it's readily available for newcomers to the shore rockfishing scene Ken!

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:05 pm
illcatchanything2

Sorry guys, for some unknown reason it seems that on this board only we are having a problem with spammers posting. I do not know why but we are working on it. In the mean time, I am going to lock all of the threads on this board.

If you have a reply that is helpful to the discussion, PM it to me and I will post it on your behalf.

ICA2

PFIC Message Boards >> Fishing Tutorials This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Page 5 of 5  Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Jump to: