pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> Trolling for striper? Trolling for halibut? [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:19 pm
climberb9

I know people do both of these up in the bay, but down here in Santa Cruz its not very common. Having just got a small boat, and as the halibut and stripers are showing up- I was wonder how one would got about it? Thanks all
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:48 am
kastmaster

Porcupine the boat with rods when going for halibut. Live bait and/or squid on 3 ways, shorter leaders if you porcupine the boat. Find the bait and Drift. You can troll but the water is deeper and you may need more weight. Not too many troll out there.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 9:36 am
east bay fisher

Drifting

Use a 3 way and five foot leader to your size 1 owner mosquito hook. Use a ten inch dropper and a snap on that, then use 2-10 ounces depending on depth and current. Pin your bait (chovie, dine, smelt, shiner) through the lips or across the nose. Drift on ledges where you find bait or just across flat sand bottoms. Make sure you see a little tap as your sinker bounces the bottom.As the saying goes if your not kicking up mud your not fishing for halibut.

Trolling

Attach a salmon sinker release with a 12 inch dropper and a cannonball sinker. Then attach a six foot leader with a hootchie, or use a wire spreader and a a large minnow plug [rapala, rebel at least five in]. Or you can use a whole herring or anchovie. Troll fairly slow so your sinker bounces bottom. Let out about fifty feet of line.

What kind of boat did you buy? Well good luck hope you catch that elusive but. I prefer drifting over trolling. When you get hit drifting make sure you bow the rod to the fish and let line off your reel. Let the rod load up then make a good solid hookset. You can either hold your rod or put it in the holder. Make sure you give a report I look forward to reading how you do.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 11:35 am
climberb9

Thanks for the help guys! Any one have any info on trolling for near-shore stripers? They are hitting all the way between rio del mar and from the harbor jetty from shore, so I was wondering if I could troll bucktail jigs, big spoons, or something to cover more ground.

The boat is a small-ish livingston. Not something to go out 6 miles in, but perfect for rockfish, halibut, striper, etc.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 5:57 pm
phishinpat

Hey Hara,

any stripers comming up from new brighton. Thinking about doing a very early morning trip out that direction. Just don't know what beach to hit up.
I'll be chucking out whole chovies, hoping for stripers or at least some leopard sharks.

I'm pretty sure you can troll for stipers as well.
Three way set up with whole choves or bucktail jig.
Good luck in your trolling quest.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:11 pm
sleepingisnicer

i used to troll for stripers a lot in the SF bay on a maybe 15' zodiac.

not sure if this technique would work in the ocean, but this is what wed do:

use 1-1.5 oz hairraisers, cast them out as far as we could then let out 30 feet of line and idle around points and dropoffs. more like lakefishing really. we never used any additional weight, the weight of the jig was always enough. hope this helps!

good luck!
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: