pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
>> Easy rockfish "po' boys" [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:56 pm
frozendog

Something I remember from a few years spent in the South.
Any recipe that works for rockfish also works with cabs and/or mf eel (goldfish, flying fish, lizard fish or whatever you come home with).
Start by buying enough rolls for the amount of fish you have. More on this later.
First: make a simple sauce. I used mayo, thousand island dressing, hot sauce and sliced green onion. Mix and put to the side.

2: Veggies. I used sliced avacado, red onion, sliced lettuce and roma tomatoes that I salt and peppered and also added a little sugar.

3: Fish. You can use a whole fillet or if the fillets are bigger than your roll, slice them up. I had big fillets so I sliced mine up. Salt and pepper the fish lightly. Rolls come in different sizes, so you kind of have to guess how much fish will fit on your roll. Clean up is easy when I cut up my fish and the veggies on some newspaper. No cutting board to clean.

4. dip fish in egg wash and then in Golden Dipt Cajun seafood fry mix (the blue box we get at Vons). I added some panko breakcrumbs to the fry mix. A little extra crunch never hurts.

5. Shallow fry in hot oil. I use a cast iron skillet. Three to four minutes is plenty of time. I only fry up enough for two sandwiches at a time. I make it in batches as we eat it.

Also, at this point, you could throw your fish in a corn tortilla and have fish tacos instead.
6. Assemble the "po boy". You can toast your roll or not, personal preference, I don't toast. Put sauce on your roll. Add the fish. Garnish as you wish. We used everything we cut up.

I served the sandwiches with some KFC coleslaw and some Ranch beans that I added bacon and onion.

Forgot the pickles, but got them in time for sandwich number two. I like pickles on the side, not on my sandwich.

These sandwiches are also good "undressed", without the veggies. But my wife says we need to eat more veggies, so on the sandwich they went.
It's only a fish sandwich, but it was good!
This is a good way to stretch your fish if you are a little short - the miracle of the loaves and fishes. I made four nice sandwiches out of two fillets.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:54 pm
CRASS

its about dinner time.. air-freight me one? Very Happy

كافر
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:27 am
polishfromthedeep

Thanks for another awesome little creation.

I gotta try some WSB fingers... time to hit the freezer!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:32 pm
Judson

nice to see corn, wheat and soybeans on the rise! haha

Great recipe! looks delish!
Top of page
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:57 am
IRPescador

Man! That looks awesome! Good idea on the fish tacos...Yummy!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:36 pm
frozendog

Here’s the missing pictures

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:43 pm
Tifoso

Holy cow! Those look awesome.

-Lou (Louis)
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Seafood Recipes Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1