pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
>> Lake Del Valle [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:59 am
minnowmagnet

Anyone have any reports and tips I am going on a camping with my dad and my dad's friend and his son and we will fish for black bass, striper, and catfish we will also try some late night catfish.

I sight fish for stripers off my roof Very Happy
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:41 am
climberb9

http://www.norcalfishing.com/delvalle.html

A quick google search turned up that site which I found extremely informative.
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 10:25 am
red fish

minnowmagnet wrote:
Anyone have any reports and tips I am going on a camping with my dad and my dad's friend and his son and we will fish for black bass, striper, and catfish we will also try some late night catfish.
I haven't fished Del Valle before but for catfish anywhere: use a kahle hook from about size 2 up. I like Foster Farms chicken livers available at your grocer's freezer, but others will do well with anchovy or mackerel chunks. Generally, use a sliding sinker rig. And, if you can get within a short casting distance of tules, fish with just a hook (no weight) and lob your bait right into (an inch in front) the tules. Open your bail (the thing you click over when you cast out) and leave it open so the catfish can run out a few yards before you set hook. By doing this, the catfish will take the bait naturally without feeling any restraint on the line at all. Good Luck. Swing for the fences (set hard) on catfish as a weak hook-set is no good. Circle hooks work too on catfish.

Last edited by red fish on Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:26 pm; edited 10 times in total
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:08 pm
phishinpat

Thought you couldn't fish that lake at night!?
Please let me know if you can.
Good luck.
I agree with red on the catfish tactics. Also try hi/low with nightcrawlers or chicken liver, just make sure you bring something to wrap up the chicken liver or it will fall off on the cast or first nibble.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 3:08 am
kin

the lake closes @ sundown i think? not too sure. but for black bass, i'd say use some early morning topwater near the grass and the good ol nightcrawler would score a few. maybe even try throwin some swimbaits around points with deep drop offs for a few good bites...but when the sun is out and its hot...don't even bother, stick to the cats...
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:49 am
minnowmagnet

Thanks for the info. But, does anyone have tips for the striper?

I sight fish for stripers off my roof Very Happy
Top of page
Send private message Send e-mail Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:11 pm
salty nick

I've never caught a striper there (never really tried either). Did see about a 36" dead one floating along the shoreline. I pulled these off articles/message boards I googled, don't know how true they are, but they make sense:

"Stripers at Del Valle can be caught by trolling large lures. Rainbow or shad pattern lures work best because they resemble the main diet of the striper. Try Rat-L-Traps, broken-back Rebels, or The Stud lure which was developed by a Lake Del Valle regular, Matt DiSimmone who had a reputation for limits of stripers at Del Valle. Bait fishing with shad, anchovies or minnows is also a good technique for stripers here."

"The best technique that I found was to hook a jumbo minnow thru the lips, with a splitshot about 30 inches above it. Best way to fish this way is with an electric motor...stripers hate noise. Just let the line out about 50 to 100ft and s-l-o-w-l-y move along, stopping now and then. Best luck I had was south side of Swallow Bay. It's been a few years since I've fished there (Moved to Lincoln the main reason!), but I have caught fish to 20lbs this way, along with some nice catfish. Many of the stripers I caught were full of bluegill, so keep that bait in mind too. I once caught one that had a 14" trout in it. I've also used Pencil Poppers off points early in the morning. Best bet - go during the week."

"There are stripers but I would not say it is packed with them. The last 2 years are the best I can recall in the 20 years I fished this lake. I have done OK this fall and winter but my last 2 trips have not produced any stripers.

In all honesty most people catch the stripers incidentily while fishing for other species. Those die hards that focus on stripers primarily toss top water lures up an down the shorelines."

Salty.
Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:28 pm
phishinpat

salty nick wrote:
I've never caught a striper there (never really tried either). Did see about a 36" dead one floating along the shoreline. I pulled these off articles/message boards I googled, don't know how true they are, but they make sense:

"Stripers at Del Valle can be caught by trolling large lures. Rainbow or shad pattern lures work best because they resemble the main diet of the striper. Try Rat-L-Traps, broken-back Rebels, or The Stud lure which was developed by a Lake Del Valle regular, Matt DiSimmone who had a reputation for limits of stripers at Del Valle. Bait fishing with shad, anchovies or minnows is also a good technique for stripers here."

"The best technique that I found was to hook a jumbo minnow thru the lips, with a splitshot about 30 inches above it. Best way to fish this way is with an electric motor...stripers hate noise. Just let the line out about 50 to 100ft and s-l-o-w-l-y move along, stopping now and then. Best luck I had was south side of Swallow Bay. It's been a few years since I've fished there (Moved to Lincoln the main reason!), but I have caught fish to 20lbs this way, along with some nice catfish. Many of the stripers I caught were full of bluegill, so keep that bait in mind too. I once caught one that had a 14" trout in it. I've also used Pencil Poppers off points early in the morning. Best bet - go during the week."

"There are stripers but I would not say it is packed with them. The last 2 years are the best I can recall in the 20 years I fished this lake. I have done OK this fall and winter but my last 2 trips have not produced any stripers.

In all honesty most people catch the stripers incidentily while fishing for other species. Those die hards that focus on stripers primarily toss top water lures up an down the shorelines."

Salty.

We've caught nothing but shakers, I mean the size of your hand. I think your best shot is to rent a boat and follow the tips that salty provided.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: