PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:04 pm
songslinger

Well, sort of. Here is the link:
http://www.songslinger.net/kailuakona.html
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:50 pm
mel

Nice report bruddha! You know, there's a spot in Kona where you can catch marlin from the shore. Hope to see a report from there by you soon! Mahalo.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:00 pm
red fish

songslinger wrote:
Well, sort of. Here is the link:
http://www.songslinger.net/kailuakona.html
Big WTG on that or however you say it in Hawaiian Smile Happy birthday when it comes. What is the word that is the exact opposite of belated? LOL.

Last edited by red fish on Thu Aug 18, 2005 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 7:04 pm
ob pier rat

that's a fantastic adventure 'Slinger, and a great read, nice job. Really gives me the incentive to start saving for the trip to the islands my wife has been on me about...thanks man!
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:23 am

mel wrote:
Nice report bruddha! You know, there's a spot in Kona where you can catch marlin from the shore. Hope to see a report from there by you soon! Mahalo.

south point? heard one was caught there i think last year.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:37 am
songslinger

South Point would be my guess, too. Has the base and depth for shorefishing for a large gamefish. Perhaps I can work up to that. There was a billfish tournament going on in Kona when I was there, but I noticed the anglers were all emptyhanded coming back. Didn't stop them from betting boisterously drunk at night.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:51 am
uncle ji

1014 wrote:
mel wrote:

south point? heard one was caught there i think last year.

Aloha Songslinger, nice read, mahalo. The To'au are pretty tasty if you ever get the chance. We used to also eat the Humuhumu'ele'ele, just bust out da pliers to yank the skin off. On the west side of Southpoint there are high cliffs with a nice offshore wind to take your line straight out via kite or float bag to drop off (great lobster diving too). Also between the Kona airport and town there's a road with guard shack that says OTEC which leads to Keahole Point, this point has deep blue water with drop-off basically right at the shore, many Mahimahi, Marlin, even Ahi caught there, and close to Kailua town, nice spot to try next trip out.
A hui hou.
Top of page
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:47 pm
uncle ji

SHEESH I almost forgot the mention the August 2005 issue of Hawaii Fishing News cover story of Sailfish caught from shore at Kalae (Southpoint). http://www.hawaiifishingnews.com/home.cfm?CFID=8049747&CFTOKEN=68213586

mini-8.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  99.55 KB
 Viewed:  4465 Time(s)

mini-8.jpg

Top of page
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 11:41 am
salty nick

Nice report, Slinger! Sounds like you got in quite a bit of fishing in little time. The sharp coral sounds brutal, and the fish seem to know it.

The only chance I got to fish in the islands was on Kauai, using some cheap tackle I bought there that I couldn't cast very far. Fished in the rocky shore across the street from where we stayed and caught a variety of pretty little aquarium fare. I noticed fishing at night brought out some larger rockfish-looking fish - which we ate, also tasted similar to rockfish.

I would love to go back and try fishing a longer rod and stouter tackle, to see what might come up.

Salty.
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Off-Topic Reply to this topic
Page 1 of 1  
Jump to: