pierfishing.com :: FAQ :: search :: memberlist :: album
  Sign-up as new user :: log in

Sign-up as new user | I forgot my password

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PFIC Message Boards >> Fishing Tutorials This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
>> Using soft plastics for rockfish from shore - the basics [topic: previous/next]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:49 pm
clayman

iamfisherman wrote:
What...not drifting the trinity or plug'n lake almanor?

Nice write up...wish i had some free time...work'n 10-12 hour days ain't so fun...especially when you know you ain't getting paid for about 2-4 of those hours...Sad

It was my day off, and it was dumping rain, so I was stuck indoors. I'm jonesing to get back to fishing though, I stopped by the Feather River after work today and saw brown trout jumping up the rapids on their spawning runs! Got me really excited for this weekend.

WTH, you're not getting paid working the extra hours? That sucks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:40 pm
iamfisherman

clayman wrote:
WTH, you're not getting paid working the extra hours? That sucks.

salary pay sucks arse sometimes!!!! Sad

Well, again...good reads right here. I'm glad you was able to put the time in do this...Kudos to you...

Wish the board had a how to section where the mods can put just the writeup in it...
Top of page
Send private message Make a quoted reply on this post
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:46 pm
CRASS

bass_turd77 wrote:
Zoptum twin teaser?!? Weedless Wide Gap Finesse hooks? Dude, Crass, where do you find all this cutting edge crap lol?

didnt i mention how much free time i have on my hands? i need to find someone to back me then id just sit in my garage spinning plugs and making lures all day!!

كافر
Top of page
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:50 pm
bass_turd77

Man, I don't even know what a Secret Weapon Spectastic Recoil Cord is, but I know I need one.

Weedless nose hooking; I must not be paying enough attention at Hi's lol, that passed me right by. Gonna have to try that one.

You turn plugs? Cool! Should put some of your work up sometime, I wanna check em out.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:54 pm
CRASS

i havent touched a lathe in years.. thats why i need to find a way to get a new one and a big ol box of AYC.. turn a few, make a duplicator, and get my artsy butt to buildin & paintin all winter. lol. i might have a few handcarve pics on another computer.. ill take a look.

كافر
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:26 am
FishermanDan

I'm sure you would get amazing action on a nose hooked bait. But even with a weedless hook there is one big set back to nose hooking. When a fish hits the bait is going to get ripped off the hook. The standard rigging for a wide-gap hook enables a good solid grasp on the soft plastic bait. This way you get the most out of each bait, which can last countless bites. Fish after fish. Another problem I see with nose hooking is that the hook point will be so far away from the bait, instead of in the middle. Resulting in tons of short bites. However, the brilliant thing about using plastics is that you are rewarded for experimenting. If you think outside the box, there is always room for improvement.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:55 am
CRASS

good point, bro. i was thinking a while back about that.. and wondered this;

offshore guys use rigging needles for all kindsa wacky crap, right? why not get a thin diameter(a piercing needle would work well, actually.. its essentially a hypo) hollow needle and rig it thru the bait, with say a supple/thin/whatever mono/fluro/whatever piece tied to a small hook, then slide the hook back into the bait and bury the tip ever so slightly for weedless.

so basically, youd get the action of the lure(or at least more than you would with a hook goin thru it) and be able to vary it depending on where you want it to emerge from.

have i had a few too many, or may it work out okay?

كافر
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:15 am
clayman

When I look at that rig Crass, I envision the plastic getting scrunched down the line as you're bringing it through the water. Then it's just gonna spin and twist your line, then rise up the water column and out of the strike zone. Even if the spinning was prevented, I don't believe the action you'd get out of such a rig would beat out a typical weedless rigging by much.

If you want to see some killer action, try one of those magnum bass flipping tubes rigged weedless on a dropshot. The fish love it too!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:19 am
RazorClam

There is really no funner way to catch rockies than with light tackle and lures. I personally like plastic worms on a drop shot. You can really feel them hit hard and fight hard.
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:55 pm
fatwalletskip

thank you Clayman! very informative these techniques are downright ingenious

fws
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:56 pm
alc101ma

Crass,

I think you'll have problems hooking the fish if you bury the point on such a small hook. There's no way the point will penetrate the rubber and hit pay dirt.

CRASS wrote:
good point, bro. i was thinking a while back about that.. and wondered this;

offshore guys use rigging needles for all kindsa wacky crap, right? why not get a thin diameter(a piercing needle would work well, actually.. its essentially a hypo) hollow needle and rig it thru the bait, with say a supple/thin/whatever mono/fluro/whatever piece tied to a small hook, then slide the hook back into the bait and bury the tip ever so slightly for weedless.

so basically, youd get the action of the lure(or at least more than you would with a hook goin thru it) and be able to vary it depending on where you want it to emerge from.

have i had a few too many, or may it work out okay?
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:49 pm
FishermanDan

Thats not a bad idea though. Looks like a killer way to rig up for halibut. You would need a larger hook that sticks out(not weedless). Rigged on a caralino rig or a three way.
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:57 pm
iamfisherman

BTW...I love that 6th lure down...best rubber compond eva!!! 1 lure could last me all day, no kid'n and the action on those things are awesome...Now only if they made them in 7", I'd be stock'n up on them too. I already have like 10 packs of the 5" model in the closet...Love walmart during there tackle sales...$1.50 a pack...Very Happy
Top of page
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:03 pm
clayman

iamfisherman wrote:
BTW...I love that 6th lure down...best rubber compond eva!!! 1 lure could last me all day, no kid'n and the action on those things are awesome...Now only if they made them in 7", I'd be stock'n up on them too. I already have like 10 packs of the 5" model in the closet...Love walmart during there tackle sales...$1.50 a pack...Very Happy

Yeah that thing rocks. Ole FishermanDan hooked me up with that one last spring, when he and Surfcaster visited Humboldt. It's the exact same bait he gave me! Been thrashed by lingcod teeth and it's still in the same condition as when Dan gave it to me. Very cool.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:09 pm
iamfisherman

BTW...using the double clinch knot is very smart. keeps the salad/weed from catching the tag end of the knot...one of the down falls of the palomar knot...
Top of page
PFIC Message Boards >> Fishing Tutorials This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Page 3 of 5  Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jump to: